• Register Today It's free!

Debating Wheel Spacers. See Pics

rob17san

Reaction score
City, State
DENVER CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
Ok So I want to get my wheels to pop out a TAD bit farther, so they fill out my wheel wells a little better. IF you can see in the rear they dont quite look right since they are kind of far in. (i am very picky). What do you guys think about wheel spacers? Are they safe? What width should I get. I was thinking about doing the rear only, and maybe the front. I was looking at these ones on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEE...ryZ42614QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would these cause any undesireable side effects? Vibrations? Danger? I plan to get the explorer express sway bar also.

Can anyone photoshop the rear wheels out a bit so that they fill out the wheel wells?

Attachments

• new photos 2-12-05 009.jpg
    new photos 2-12-05 009.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,190

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have spacers on the rear of mine. A lot of J**p guys run them.

That would great for both of you!

Warning! Once you push out the tires, the mirrors and roof rack will look smaller... plan on spending more :D

My rims are wider now, and I'm starting to see my mirrors like T-Rex arms (that's the one with small arms, right?) Anyways, but that's what happened to me... so I got a roof rack coming, wider.

Can anyone comment on the safety or actual width I would persue?

The rear spacers are plenty safe. The 8.8 can take them no problem. I think the front is where you run into problems with bearing stress and whatnot.

I would run these 1.25" ones (same brand as I have but mine are adapters and not spacers).

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1134/.f

i have them on the rear of my mustang. it has gone low 13s on street tires and done a little auto-cross with them. i just put some on the rear of my exploder also. i have never noticed any vibration or any thing unusual with them.

Make sure that the hub center is exactly the same as your hubs. The safety of spacers is 99% about keeping the weight of the vehicle transferring to the hub not by the studs. The hub center of the wheel can take the pressure, the studs cannot. The way that works is the center of the wheel goes perfectly onto the hub center. Look at any wheel hub before you mount the wheel, there is a lip there where the hub sets on. Not all Ford hubs are the exact same diameter, so ask about those dimensions before buying something. Good luck,

Attachments

• wheelspacer.jpg
    wheelspacer.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,895

my stock wheels have a larger center hole then my hub on the explorer. Is that what you were talking about? I heard that in itself is supposed to require some sort of plastic trim washer, but never used them and had these wheels on safely for over 2 years. Should I make sure they match my explorers hub center, or my wheel hub center diameter? Hope that made sense.

Ah yes, that would be wise to do for all wheels. When I was hunting 18's for my Mountaineer, the best that I liked at the time were Mercedes wheels, Moven M13's. The hub centers were slightly too small, and the bolt pattern was 5x114mm instead of 5x114.3mm. They drilled out all six holes for $30 each to make them fit, and I had to research what the proper hub center diameter was for them to mill out.

If your wheels are currently not hub centered, I'd be working hard to find a way to make them hub centered. When you push the wheel up onto the hub, hold it in place inward and centered, it should not slide or fall down at all by itself. Meaning if you push hard enough to just keep it up against the hub, not lifting it, it should remain centered. That means that the wheel is resting on the hub center.

If it does drop, then only your wheel studs are supporting the whole weight of the vehicle. That's where major problems begin. With non hub centered spacers it is just magnified, because the weight is moved farther away from the actual hub, and there is little friction holding it all together. Right now you have the surface to surface(wheel/hub) friction helping to stabilize the wheel, but the studs are still the only thing holding up the truck. If that is the case, then any spacer would likely put you far over the line of safety. That scares me, I wouldn't do that unless it was temporary and I had little choice. Good luck,

Ok let me make sure you got what I was saying. My center hole on my wheel is larger then the the center hub on my truck with that lip. So, when I put the wheel on, there is a 1/4" gap all the way around the hub. it is definetely centered when just hanging on the studs, but not tight up against the hub ring or lip. Is that bad? I have been driving like that for years, and been to many shops. No one commented on that at all. Where would I get the plastic spacers etc that would fix it? These are universal 5 Lug rims.

I just re read the post you had. It is definetely hub centered. it doesnt slide up or down when just sitting on the studs.

There is a small gap around each stud when the wheel is on them, with no lug nuts. If the wheel isn't hub centered the wheel would move around slightly in any direction without the lug nuts to hold the wheel centered. A stock wheel won't move at all with the nuts off, held against the hub.

You might very well have them hub centered if you are correct. Do be sure though, there have been a handful of members in the last few years recount having a wheel let go, studs break etc. It never really was clear what caused each of those, but they all had aftermarket wheels, and/or spacers. Regards,

ok thank you for the information. I am going to double check tomorrow.

Just an FYI that I have run 1.25" spacers on the back for a year and a half (much of that off road) with no negative results and have recently moved them to the front and put 2" spacers on the back for a few months now.

I still don't trust them since there is no argument that they double the risk of stress failure at the lugs. I plan on selling them eventually and going with 8" wide 3.75 BS wheels instead. Same profile, less lugs to worry about.

Just be absolutely sure to pull the wheels off and tighten the spacers after a short break in period and you should be fine.

Is there any way to lock the lugs on that mount to the hub? Like with loctite or something similar? After the break in period or before?

any comments on a semi permanent loctite substance? Any comment on the handling increase since it would be 2.50" wider total?
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob, there wouldn't be anything to gain with any chemical. The real question is the vertical forces, the support of the vehicle. If the wheels engage the hub, either of the actual hub, or the spacer(the spacer must be hub-centric also), then the weight is going through the wheel/hub, and not the studs. The studs are only capable of holding the wheel in against the hub, reliably. They can't reliably support the weight of a vehicle. The time which they do survive is related to how string they are, and how much friction they generate which lessens the vertical forces which they see. The match of the wheels to the hub center is an old and not commonly understood concept. I believe that I will work very hard to always have properly matched wheel hub holes. Good luck,

Back