1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Decreasing IAT on my Supercharged SOHC V6

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 2000StreetRod, August 20, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Isnt that fan just going to draw air where its open and not covered by the cooler? ?I know when I had the HHR fan mounted to my radiator it had an open space like that and it wouod not keep my truck cool at all..I gave the fan to my buddy with a sohc radiator which it fits on and he has never had a problem. ..my theory was it draws the most air from the place that offers the least resistance. ..obviously some was sucked through the radiator but lower the cfms enough to where it didnt keep it cool..

personally would have went with a 8" fan or really just a bigger better cooler

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      fan aerodynamics

I had the same question before installation. Since the pitch of the blade is constant the greatest airflow will be near the tips where the blade speed is fastest. The more distance there is between the fan blade edge and the cooler the less effective the fan will be. In my installation there is only about 1/4" so air should be pulled thru fairly well. Obviously, the upper section of the fan will have no effect on the heat exchanger but will assist with cooling the A/C condenser and the radiator. It will be interesting to examine future datalogs with the fan being switched on and off. There's also the potential to add a plate that covers the upper part of the fan.

4. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Car delay off timer

The car delay off timer arrived today from Thailand.
      CarDelayOffTimer2.jpg
      It came with a schematic diagram as advertised and it was even in English. I confirmed from the specifications on the relay that it is rated at 10 amps. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I have Fuse 9 (40 amps) installed in the battery junction box for air suspension. If so then I'll open up the Aux Relay Box 1 and see if the air suspension control relay is installed even though I don't have air suspension. The control module for the option is normally installed somewhere near the radio. I'm hoping the wiring, relay and fuse is present and I can use them for the fan and intercooler pump.

5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      oil cooler thermostat refitted

The engine oil cooler thermostat has been remounted and its associated oil hoses rerouted. I had to cut one of the barbs off the horizontal end of each elbow to make room for the T fitting.
      Thermostat1.jpg

I was able to eliminate the loop from the thermostat to the cooler by making a bracket and mounting the thermostat lower and more forward.
      Thermostat2.jpg

By using another elbow below the T fitting I eliminated another loop.
      Thermostat3.jpg
      I plan to install a 90 degree elbow in the ATF hose from the remote filter to the radiator and maybe another one between the radiator and the ATF cooler. I don't want any hoses or flexible conduit in front of the heat exchanger blocking air flow.

6. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Wow, is there ever a lot of stuff going on up there.

7. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      power source selected

I doubt that air suspension was an option on the Sport. Anyway, I was not surprised that the associated fuses (8 & 9) weren't present or wired in the battery junction box. Using the cigar lighter circuit as a power source for the intercooler pump and heat exchanger fan would require running a large gauge wire from the passenger compartment to the engine bay which I wanted to avoid. I considered wiring another fuse into the bus in the power junction box but that would require disassembly and reassembly of the box. Then I realized that existing fuse 6 (20 amps) is only associated with the transfer case which my RWD doesn't have. So I was able to thread a 16 gauge wire thru the flexible corrugated loom (that contains all my other wiring additions) from the passenger compartment to the inner fender well near the ABS where I plan to mount the relay. I purchased five 30 amp 5 pin relays (normally open or normally closed) with mating connectors and pigtails on eBay for $12.39 (includes shipping). The relays have a removable mounting tab which I plan to use to attach to the inner fender well. The 16 gauge wire will connect to the relay solenoid blade contact on one end and the delayed off relay controller near the radio on the other end. I'm running 12 gauge wire in the flexible corrugated loom from the planned relay position to the heat exchanger fan connector and the smaller gauge wire for the intercooler pump. The relays probably won't arrive until next week but I don't need them to leak check the ATF and engine oil connections that have changed.

8. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Hobbs switch & relay

The 1 psi Hobbs switch and the five 30 amp relays and mating connectors with pigtails arrived today.
      HobbsnRelay.jpg
      I used the aft mounting bolt for the power junction box (PJB) bracket to mount the relay for the intercooler pump and heat exchanger fan.
      FanRelay1.jpg
      Yesterday I finished routing the wire from the relay controller area behind the radio to PJB area. I also spliced a wire to the wire connected to the output of the transfer case fuse in the PJB and ran the wire from the relay area to the heat exchanger fan. I still plan to pull the other seat and fold the carpet back to run wires to an "energizer" switch mounted on the center console next to the defeat switches for the Accusump and the A/C compressor.

There's room for the Hobbs switch where the boost gauge port is but the hose to the bypass valve is almost directly above the port.
      Boost3.jpg
      That's my gloved finger pulling up the hose during the original installation. I'll remove the EGR valve to get access to the area and then try to install a street T and a 90 deg elbow but I'm not optimistic they will fit.

9. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      air filter enclosure mods

I finished wiring the heat exchanger relay.
      FanRelay2.jpg
      I decided to leave the intercooler pump connected to the fuel pump relay circuit so I can see how much effect the fan has. Later I'll move the intercooler pump to the fan circuit to extend the life of the pump.

I've been wasting a lot of time trying to determine how to modify the stock air filter enclosure to accept the 4" dia. MAF sensor adapter tube. The way my main intake is built I need to slide the adapter tube about an inch into the enclosure in order to separate the MAF sensor outlet hose from the pre-throttle body coupler.
      FilterTop1.jpg
      I'll probably end up cutting a 4" deep by 4.5" high notch out of the corner of the enclosure and then covering the notch with aluminum angle stock with a 4" dia. hole in the vertical part. I'll also need a sliding seal to prevent unfiltered air from being drawn into the enclosure. It's bound to be a real kluge. From a maintenance standpoint I pity who ever owns this Sport after me.

10. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Hobbs switch installed

The Hobbs switch I purchased has normally open contacts. I checked it with my hand pump and the switch closes right at 1 psi and opens just barely below 1 psi. There wasn't room to install it where the boost gauge port is because of the bypass valve hose directly above it so I replaced the 90 degree double male elbow with a 45 degree male/female elbow and a NPT male to hose barb fitting.
      45DegElbow.jpg
      I made a simple bracket and mounted it to the windshield wiper motor assembly mounting bolts.
      BrktnFitting.jpg
      I attached a street Tee to the bracket using cable ties.

Using my trickle battery charger, an instrument panel lamp, and some test clips arranged on the breakfast table I verified that the delayed off timer could be activated with a ground signal. With the existing components the delay after the ground signal is removed varies from 14 seconds to 9 minutes using the potentiometer on the circuit board. Using a ground activation allowed me to run only one wire from the delay timer to the Hobbs switch. I routed the wire thru the flexible conduit that contains the wiring for the fuel rail pressure sensor. The other terminal of the Hobbs switch is connected to the ground strap via the bracket.
      Mounted1.jpg
      The Hobbs switch does not interfere with disconnecting/connecting the wiper motor connector.
      Mounted2.jpg
      I removed the passenger seat and folded back the carpet to run a ground wire from the delay timer to a switch to be added to the floor console. That way I can manually activate the heat exchanger fan and intercooler pump.

11. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Very nice. I'm going to be copying your setup.

12. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Air filter cover

I modified the stock air filter cover by cutting out a large section and then attaching a piece of aluminum with a 100 degree bend and the upper half section of a bleach bottle.
      AirFilterCover1.jpg
      Then I added several layers of fiberglass tape and epoxy left over from a wood boat building project from many years ago.
      AirFilterCover2.jpg

AirFilterCover3.jpg

AirFilterCover4.jpg
      I applied a couple coats of Fusion for plastic spray paint.
      AirFilterCover5.jpg
      In a year when I clean the reusable Amsoil air filter I may smooth the outside and spray again for better appearance.
      I was unable to find a 4 inch diameter friction fit gasket to attach to the cover so I made one out of 3/8" dia. nonporous caulk saver. I cut a length a little shorter than the dia. of the MAF sensor adapter tube. Then I glued the ends together with a short length of 18 gauge, insulated, stranded wire poked in each end to keep the ends centered and together.
      AirFilterCoverSeal.jpg

13. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      There's nothing easy about modifying that air box. Looks like its coming along nicely.
      I can hardly wait to see the finished product mounted in your truck.

14. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      No coolant or oil leaks!

I finished my initial modification and installation of the air filter cover.
      AirFilterCover6.jpg
      I started the engine and let it run for about 15 minutes. I checked every coolant, engine oil and ATF hose and fitting connection and there were no leaks. It's been quite a while (months) since the engine ran and the battery charge was low. Consequently, my 240 amp alternator was outputting high current and there was infrequent belt slip at the alternator pulley for the first few minutes after engine start. The belt configuration with the M90 allows marginal belt wrap of the alternator pulley.
      Serpentine1.jpg
      I've replaced the tensioner pulley in the past but never the tensioner. I'll try that first. Eventually, I may install another idler pulley and reconfigure the belt to increase belt wrap at the alternator pulley.
      I'm in the process of wiring for the time delay circuit. After a successful test of the heat exchanger fan energized by the time delay circuit I'll install the seats, center console and the front end of the vehicle.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Your almost there!
      On my ohv, I had about the same belt config as you, and my alternator pulley actually started to turn blue. Im guessing this was from belt slip causing heat. Keep an eye on it.

16. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Off delay timer

I purchased a project box at Radio Shack (270-1802) that was just slightly larger than the off delay timer circuit board. I drilled ventilation holes in the sides and filed notches in the circuit card to fit the box.
      OffDelayBoard3.jpg
      The large capacitor is tall enough to touch the lid and I installed some thick adhesive tape to press against the relay top to keep the board in place.
      OffDelayBoard4.jpg
      I also cut some slits in the ends of the box for connecting wires to the terminals.

17. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Off delay board installed

I connected the wires to the circuit board after confirming that the input and output grounds are connected together on the circuit board trace allowing me to eliminate another wire.
      OffDelayBoard5.jpg
      Then I attached the top of the box with the supplied screws, installed flexible looms and positioned the unit below the radio support slide.
      OffDelayBoard6.jpg
      Eventually I may replace all of those wire nuts for the radio connections with soldered/heat shrink connections. But first I have to confirm the radio works. If I have to purchase an aftermarket radio it may have a different connector.

After starting the engine I flipped on the energize toggle switch mounted on the center console and confirmed the heat exchanger fan was running. Then I flipped the switch off. The fan stopped running after a couple minutes. It will be a few days before I can test the fan operation with the Hobbs switch since I doubt there is any boost without loading the engine (driving the vehicle).

18. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Hobbs switch works

Today while doing one last oil leak check before starting reassembly of the front end I "blipped" the throttle and was surprised to hear the heat exchanger fan start up and then run for two minutes and shut off. That means there was at least 1 psi of boost when I blipped the throttle and the Hobbs switch is working.

19. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Ready to go

Yesterday I finished installing the front end and today I got the seats and center console installed. I also installed a newly received fun personalized license plate.
      SUPERV6.jpg
      I haven't had a chance to go for a drive yet.

20. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      ok, if the suspense is killing me, it has to be getting to you also.

Get out there and go for a rip!

21. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Yea get out there!!! Everything turned out really nice, good job..o and love the plate..

22. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Unintentional transmission flush

My Sport has just been sitting in the garage the past few weeks while I worked on the DOHC V8. Today I drove about 10 miles with the V8 in the back to a head repair shop to get a few main bearing side bolts removed that I couldn't remove without an impact tool. On the way home the transmission started acting peculiar and wouldn't upshift to overdrive. I pulled into a parking lot between two vacant buildings and found transmission fluid leaking onto the pavement. I walked home (3 miles) and got my wife to ride back with me (and 5 quarts of ATF in a box) to the Sport in her Grand Cherokee. I only put in 1.5 quarts which was enough to get the Sport home but I had to keep the engine speed up to keep the gears engaged. Obviously with the cold weather the ATF pressure is greater and a fitting or hose clamp isn't tight enough. Hopefully, I can fix the problem by just removing the bumper to get access.

23. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Explorer

Awesome license plate!
      Did you get that trans leak fixed?
      How are those IAT's?

24. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      ATF leak fixed

In South Carolina I get a senior discount for the personalized license plate.

Yes, I fixed the ATF leak. I didn't even have to remove the bumper - just the top inspection cover. I simply forgot to tighten one of the numerous hose clamps and the associated hose separated from a fitting. I had to add about 3 quarts to get the level back to normal. So far I haven't detected any damage as a result of my oversight.

I haven't bothered to check the IATs yet because the weather has been cold. The blower is working fine. Kicks in at 1 psi boost and continues to run for my set time after no boost. I can also start it at any time from the center console switch.

25. colintrax

colintrax Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      97 XLT and 91 Ranger
    26. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Reflect-A-Gold?

No, I haven't considered using it. I don't know what I would do with it. I assume the high IAT is due to the supercharger compressing the intake air just prior to it entering the head intake ports. I installed an improvised intercooler (heater core) between the supercharger output and the head intake ports. However, the intercooler effectiveness is insufficient on a hot day so I installed a blower on the heat exchanger for the intercooler coolant.