Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Decreasing IAT on my Supercharged SOHC V6

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 2000StreetRod, August 20, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. colintrax

colintrax Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 XLT and 91 Ranger
      Wrap everything :D you could wrap the nonfin parts of the intercooler, intake tubes, air box, intake manifold. Whatever you feel like.

I've heard decreases around 10*F of course every vehicle would be different. But even 5* might be worth the effort.

Last edited: February 22, 2015
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Blower Fan

That was a great idea for the blower fan controller. Kind of mimics the operation of the intercooler pump on the Factory supercharged vehicles like the Lightning. For a quick spurt it should be quite effective as the coolant in the intercooler radiator will be staying there getting cooled off till it is needed.
      Glad to hear the trans seems to be fine. Can't wait till the warmer weather gets here, I miss my garage!

4. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      Rather than purchase 2 new -8 AN fittings for my Centennial fuel system I decided to remove the engine oil cooler thermostat on my Sport and reuse 2 of its fittings. With my street driving I've never seen the engine oil temperature greater than 200 degrees F and the thermostat is specified for 215 degrees F so there is no significant flow of engine oil thru the cooler. I suspect the 2 remote engine oil filters and associated plumbing provide some cooling. I'm also planning to convert the engine oil cooler to an additional intercooler heat exchanger. I've removed the bumper to gain access to the thermostat and some of the plumbing but don't want to take the time while in the middle of my DOHC V8 build to remove the grille and headlights to gain access to all of the plumbing.
      FanCooler4.jpg
      I'm considering just configuring the bottom heat exchanger to be in series with, but after the fan cooled heat exchanger.

5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      It was fairly easy to disconnect and remove the oil thermostat and its associated fittings.
      2FiltersReturn.jpg
      Then it was just a matter of connecting a vertical length of hose connected to the Tee connecting the bypass and full flow filter returns and adding a 90 degree elbow between the vertical hose and the horizontal return hose.

6. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      I had to take the last 10 ten days off to do some long overdue spring related yard work. Today it rained so I was able to get back to the intercooler heat exchanger enhancement. I cut the upper hose from the upper heat exchanger and installed two right angle fittings to route the coolant to and from the lower heat exchanger.
      TopCnx.jpg
      Then I used my Dremel with a cut off wheel to make a notch in the A/C condenser bracket and then rounded the notch with a grinding stone in my electric drill.
      Notch4Fitting.jpg
      Then I connected the hoses to the fittings and installed the fittings.
      BtmCnx.jpg
      I started the engine and detected no oil or coolant leaks.