Delayed shifting from 1st to 2nd with Automatic transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Delayed shifting from 1st to 2nd with Automatic transmission

95Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer 4X4
Hi all, I've just started to experience my first automatic transmission issue. Your inputs are much appreciated:

1995 Eddie Bauer, 172,000 miles, Automatic, 4x4, Owned it since 32,000 miles. Serviced the fluid three times over these miles. Twice with the "flush" method and once with the complete drop the pan and replace the filter method. Last fluid service was three years ago.

I recently removed the battery to replace (upgrade) head lamp bulbs. Easier to access lamp if battery is out on driver's side. I left the battery out for about 3-1/2 hours. Not sure if this made the PCM (powertrain control module) angry. :fire:

Two days later the O/D flashing began. (first time ever) It was constant while the engine ran. At that point I began to notice a delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd. Symptom: The RPMs went to 3000 before the shift would occur. The remaining gears shifted as normal. All shifts are smooth. Not harsh or making sounds.

Took to my favorite independent shop. They found and cleared the codes causing the O/D flashing. Don't have the code numbers. :(
No more flashing O/D light.

Picked up the truck today and the delay shift from 1st to 2nd still there. No other symptoms.

THoughts? Similar experiences? Torque converter?
THANKS! ;)

Update: Could it be skipping 2nd and going straight to 3rd? :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the 4R44 2nd gear is engaged by applying the intermediate band. Yours may be broken or there may be issues in the servo that apply it. YouCOULD have Valve Body issues as well. I'd start by dropping thr pan and checking for debris.

As you have just found out, clearing the codes isn't a quick fix. They will come back if the problem is not solved. Find out what those codes are. If you try to adjust the intermediate band, and it keeps turning without getting tighter, then most likely your band broke. Check my thread on adjusting bands: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160

Your codes could have been unrelated, but we'll never know. Remember the 4R/5R series uses many inputs to make shifting decisions. Not only do we have to rule out internal transmission issues, we also need to rule out external input issues (and usually start there first). Moral here is, whenever you have someone pull codes - GET THE CODES!

I had the same exact problem. Torque converter went first, and one of the bands snapped according to my mechanic. I wouldn't drive on it for too long if I were you because this caused selenoid switches and pressure switches to fail as well, which ended up costing more to replace. $1600 total.

Back