delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shifter

That looks like it came from the factory that way!
Great Job!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks guys, its not perfect there are some gaps but I'll mess with it more this weekend, I also switched the flange to the other end of my front shaft like turtle said in another thread but I didn't try it yet, hard parts done, it gonna get a front end alignment and its done till latter this year when we can get to some body work on it, for now im gonna try to jump back on Vader my v8 sport and get the AVM hubs installed along with its 4406 , and then doing a total cleanup on it inside and out,

Just a few pics of my front shaft , I took it apart at the slip joint , popped the big end cap oil seal off , cut about half an inch off the female side and about three quarters of an inch off the splined end , reground the edges , repacked it with molly and all is well,

Attachments

• IMG_20140511_133847_338.jpg
    IMG_20140511_133847_338.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20140511_134010_768.jpg
    IMG_20140511_134010_768.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20140511_141431_788.jpg
    IMG_20140511_141431_788.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 325

shaft

What did you cut the female side with?

I cut both sides with a cutoff wheel . And I figured someone would ask about vibration so I locked the hubs and took it for a ride , no vibration, so now I can focus on the cosmetics on the mounty and get back on the two door , I've got alot to do to get it where I want it

Just a few pics of my front shaft , I took it apart at the slip joint , popped the big end cap oil seal off , cut about half an inch off the female side and about three quarters of an inch off the splined end , reground the edges , repacked it with molly and all is well,

Ah ha!

You did exactly what I was wondering "what if?" and now we know!

I wasn't worried about balance since I have manual hubs and the front shaft will not be turning while on road, personally I think the AVM hub conversion should be done ( unless your goin sas) along with the 4406 , it makes as big a difference as the t-case itself,

Sport

How's the explorers doing?

The mountaineer is great other than some body issues as its my wife's DD, the sport I haven't touched in forever because im mad at it and myself, I gotta drop the tranny back out for a leak and i seem to have a broken wire, the green one is gonna leave soon and my brothers xlt is doin fine waiting for him to come home from Cali in Dec, its getting hard to get time with them as my kids are getting bigger

Trans

Transmissions, they are very frustrating sometimes. My 4 door trans drove me nuts for quite a while. I have many new grey hairs from that.
Watch out, those kids grow up fast too, next thing you know they are old enough to get their own explorers. lol.

Yea I have been watching all you guys and the bad thing is I think I wanna pull Vader back apart and go a little bigger, but that's gonna have to wait , I have what i want sitting at a friends shop, he has promised me its mine when I can afford it without the wife getting too mad lol, but that's a long term thing so I've been trying not to say anything for fear I'll jinx myself, but if it all works out im pretty sure I'll have the only one,

Explorers

Hope it works out! And whatever you do, keep the wife happy!
Family comes first for sure.

OK guys and gals I've been working on Vader again , he has been sitting forever and looks like crap but I need to get him back on the road , got the leak fixed , turned out to just be the pan gasket cause the pan was dented and warped , a few hours with some wood blocks and hammers and dollys and a straight edge all is good, now the only two things left I need to fix for inspection are an airbag code 52 and transmission range sensor circuit A high code , new range sensor installed properly and the plug is clean ,need help with what wire to look at , the airbag thing I've checked the fuses but not the connection at the module yet , any help would be appreciated

Fuse?

Power Distribution Box Mini Fuse 5 (10 A)

I found a pinpoint test on air bags that said to check that fuse above.
Your truck is a 1997, but what engine was in it? 4.0L SOHC or OHV?

Edit: it might be fuse 4, I am finding conflicting information in wiring diagrams.
Check interior fuse panel number 6 as well.

And fuse 26 in the interior panel is for the Transmission range sensor

WARNING: DTC B1913 or B1914 can cause the diagnostic monitor to intentionally blow the power distribution box Mini Fuse 5 (10 A) to disarm the air bag system. Do not substitute another fuse value for the power distribution box Mini Fuse 5 (10 A). Another fuse value can cause future disarming failure and can result in danger to the occupants of the vehicle. Once the air bag diagnostic monitor has disarmed the system, it will not attempt to do so again until DTC B1913 or B1914 has been cleared. Do not reactivate the system until all DTC concerns have been repaired and cleared.

Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table DTC LFC Description Action To Take
B1342 24 Air bag diagnostic monitor is faulted (retrieved only during On-Demand Self Test) GO to Pinpoint Test O .
B1867 12/52 Lost or low battery voltage GO to Pinpoint Test A .
B1869 — No air bag indicator or inoperative indicator circuit GO to Pinpoint Test Q .
B1913 13/53 Air bag circuit short to ground GO to Pinpoint Test B .
B1914 14/54 Air bag sensor circuit shorted to ground GO to Pinpoint Test C .
B1921 21 Air bag diagnostic monitor ground circuit open or not mounted to the vehicle properly GO to Pinpoint Test D .
B1922 22 Safing sensor output circuit shorted to battery voltage GO to Pinpoint Test E .
B1923 23 Memory clear circuit improperly grounded GO to Pinpoint Test F .
B1924 24 System disarm fault GO to Pinpoint Test O .
B1932 32 Driver air bag module circuit high resistance or open GO to Pinpoint Test G .
B1933 33 Passenger air bag module circuit high resistance or open GO to Pinpoint Test H .
B1934 34 Driver air bag module circuit low resistance or shorted GO to Pinpoint Test I .
B1935 35 Passenger air bag module circuit low resistance or shorted GO to Pinpoint Test J .
B1941 41 RH air bag sensor feed/return circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test K .
B1942 42 LH air bag sensor feed/return circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test L .
B1944 44 RH air bag sensor not mounted to the vehicle properly or ground circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test M .
B1945 45 LH air bag sensor not mounted to the vehicle properly or ground circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test N .
— — Module communication error GO to Pinpoint Test P .
— — Air bag indicator lamp on at all times — air bag diagnostic monitor disconnected or inoperative GO to Pinpoint Test R .
— — Rapid continuous flashing of the air bag indicator (no DTC) — both air bag sensors disconnected GO to "Pinpoint Test S".
— — No communication with the air bag diagnostic monitor GO to Pinpoint Test T .

5.0 sport , late 97 with external egr and the 8 pin range sensor on the 4r70w , I am also having trouble finding the right diagram , I suspect a broken wire for the tranny

Fuses are all good and the proper size , that's what makes me think its a broken wire for the tranny , the airbag thing may be the module and I have one I can swap so for now I really need to figure out the TRS

Code number

What was the trouble code number for the TRS?
I know you have a 5.0 now, what 4.0 was in there, sohc or ohv?

Diagram

One of the pinpoint tests, if I guessed the code correctly, says to check pin 6 at the TRS on the wire harness side when it is unplugged. Should be about 5 volts

Here is a wiring diagram

Attachments

• TRS 4R70W 1997.jpg
    TRS 4R70W 1997.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 226

What was the trouble code number for the TRS?
I know you have a 5.0 now, what 4.0 was in there, sohc or ohv?

Po708 is the code and it was a SOHC

Back