delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What was the trouble code number for the TRS?
I know you have a 5.0 now, what 4.0 was in there, sohc or ohv?

Po708 is the code and it was a SOHC

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

voltage

Check the voltage on pin 6 at the TRS when unplugged.
Use the battery for your ground lead, and turn the key on.
Should be 5 volts.

If you don't have 5 volts the circuit may be damaged(open or shorted to ground), or the pcm is not making 5 volts on pin 64 anymore.

If you do have 5 volts then take your ground lead off the battery and put it in pin 7, so you will have one in 6 and one in 7. If you don't have 5 volts the ground circuit is bad (circuit 359). That wire goes back to the PCM at pin number 91

Attachments

• TRS connector 4R70W 1997.jpg
    TRS connector 4R70W 1997.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 264
  • PCM connector V8 1997.jpg
    PCM connector V8 1997.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 279

You are awesome! That I understand and will do as soon as it stops raining , I just spent the last two hours with my garden hose hooked up in my laundry room washing it with hot water and soap ,its black again lol

Haven't got to the TR sensor yet but I did get the airbag module swapped out and that appears to have fixed that issue and I finally got around to an important modification lol

Attachments

• IMG_20150618_142201_653.jpg
    IMG_20150618_142201_653.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 263

Did the test just as 4pointslow said and circuit 199 was bad , so I ran a new wire from the pcm to the TR sensor and it seems to have done the trick! I'm not proud of the way I did it but if things go as planned I'll be pulling the motor again in the future and at that point I'll go through the harness and do a more permanent repair ,but for now I'm happy and it should go through inspection, thank you all but especially 4pointslow !

Air Bag module

Glad I could help, I have gotten so much help from people on this forum that I am glad to be able to give some back.

What do you think made the airbag module go bad?

From what I could find on here it is most likely a diode that acts as a thermal fuse , not sure , I was just lucky I had a spare , those diagrams you found were perfect , now that everything is acting right I'm gonna drive it for a while as is and save money for the motor my friend has , gonna have to make an oil pan and a few other parts , if all goes well in a year or two it should be " lightning" fast

Spoke too soon, put new front shocks on today so I took a short ride and the po708 came back , maybe the ground circuit is bad too ? Its not the pcm cause I have swapped it with my brothers who has no codes and it still pops up in mine

Got back under there with my meter and if I put the red probe in number 6 and black in 7 I get 5.04 volts so I took the red retainer out of the plug and looked , no corrosion , then I took the range sensor off and put it back on even though it was lined up just to make sure , and the fuse is still fine , so at this point I'm not sure what else to do , any thoughts?

OK just occurred to me to go look at my brothers xlt , late 97 xdt2 pcm , external egr , early style cam sensor, this is what mine is setup as due to the parts I started with and my desire to not add PATS to my non PATS sport, so when I switched everything to 97 ( late 97 ) I put in the 8 pin range sensor 96/early 97 tranny and harness, my brothers truck has the 98 style trans, WTF

It should be pin 6 (5v) and pin 5 for ground. Pin 7 should only be grounded with the engine off. I would ohm it from the range sensor to the pcm and then check for short to ground with the pcm unplugged.

It should be pin 6 (5v) and pin 5 for ground. Pin 7 should only be grounded with the engine off. I would ohm it from the range sensor to the pcm and then check for short to ground with the pcm unplugged.

We posted almost at the same time , look at my last post , I think I have the wrong tranny :mad: is there a way around this ?

I think you need to take a good look at the engine - trans connector and start checking pins. There is probably 1 wire difference between the years that has you stuck.

I'm running a 98 trans on a late 97 harnesses and all my pins matched except the valve body connector on the passenger side of the trans

I think you need to take a good look at the engine - trans connector and start checking pins. There is probably 1 wire difference between the years that has you stuck.

I'm running a 98 trans on a late 97 harnesses and all my pins matched except the valve body connector on the passenger side of the trans

Do you happen to know if the motor harness I got from you is 96/97 or the late 97? Lol

It's a late 97, it matches the PCM it came with.

Thanks I kinda figured that, I'm trying to find the pin outs for the two connectors now

Anyone know what the connector is called , its the 38 pin one between the motor harness and the tranny harness , I know someone have used a 98 up tranny with the early computer but will it work the other way around? If so I have an early 97 motor harness I can chop the plug off and a 98 tranny harness I can chop the plug off and my idea is to do the wiring between the two and make a jumper to go between the ones in my truck , but I need to know if it would work and pin outs for both

Something like this

Attachments

• IMG_20150622_133627_034.jpg
    IMG_20150622_133627_034.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 242

C116

It might be this one.
Funny thing is that the diagram I posted shows one splice and no connector.
But when you look at the connector it shows the circuit(199) going through it. LOL.

Maybe you can back probe the connector at the transmission and shift through the gears to see if it changes state?

Attachments

• Connector C116.jpg
    Connector C116.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 231

Yes that's the 96/97 one do you have a 98 up , if I can match them up and make this bridge out of extra harness it would be the easy way to do it , otherwise I gotta start removing a lot of parts

Back