Desert run 10/12/02 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desert run 10/12/02

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
We have a day pretty much set that will give people some time to get things together, we're looking at 10/12/02. I've talked to a few of guys and there is some interest in a desert run on the date. So far there are three interested a few of the places mentioned are "Rowher flats in Soledad Canyon off the 14 Freeway, or Hungry Valley OHV area off the I5. That area is full of 4x4 trails." and then there's always Big Bear. I've heard that Rainbow Basin has some OHV trials. I do not have any personal knowledge, but if so it could be an awesome place to explore.
We would just like to get the location settled here in the next few days so people can set plans. So please feel free to list your favorite places to do a one-day run. I know Big Bear has allot of appeal and living here I'm withya, but there are lots of places in Southern Ca. to explore. So let's get as many people together as we can and lets do it.

P.S. my wife is a major rock and nut, so if anyone who knows of any places that have obsidian agates etc. she could have a good day rock hunting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I look forward to see what other areas So. Cal. Explorers have in mind.

(On another topic, BBB I thought you could appreciate this, here I am on a trip of another caliber last weekend)

Attachments

• j2net.jpg
    j2net.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 442

Cool nice pic's and catch. I haven't gotten out fishing this year, but it sure looks like you had a good day. I've been wanting to get into the Albies, but it's always one thing or another. I've never been on the caliber either. My boats used to be the shogun, ans the Searcher. Just a wierd thing I just seemed I did better on one of those two.

The last Alby I got was about 96 when a few came up the coast, but we had a drought on them for awhile but the last two years. We had loads of bluefin and yellowfin, but no Albies. Anyway last year I was out of the picture due to illness. This year it's just been time issues.

What are those two about 35 to 40 lbs each? or is it the Hold the fish as close to the lens as you can trick ;)

Honestly thats really nice catch

Last July we did a trip at Cleghorn rd which is right off the 15 going through the Cajon pass. Its basicly a fire road all the way through but there's trails that splinter off the fire road that always link back on that road so you can bypass any trail that you don't feel comfortable with. The trail ends up on hwy 134 near Silverwood lake. We actually went camping up in Big Bear after that but Cleghorn rd. took up the better part of the day.
Dave

Ocotillo Wells perhaps?

Maybe if the weather cools a bit, we could drive out to Ocotillo Wells for the day perhaps? There's a great sand hill that is a few hundred feet high, that the sandrail guys like to drive at night that is fun. Also, there is a major sandhill/sand dune that is pretty fun and easy to attack as well in the area. There are some nice play areas, and some hills that test out your suspension as well. This is just an idea...

According to Map Quest Ocotillo Wells is about 180 miles from my house, so I would favor the Cleghorn rd trip. The Cleghorn trip would be about an hour an maybe a half from here so. Just my point of view, Ocotillo Wells can be done, but it is aways out there for me.

Brooklyn Mine region???

How about checking out the Brooklyn Mine area? It's got rocks, stairsteps, challenges, and it's still close to Big Bear - not too far for Bob to drive from...

Ken that sounds like a great place. But don't get me wrong 180 miles or 3 hours each way would make for too long of a drive and a short day.

Someplace with a few challenges, rocks, and stairsteps, sounds like fun to me. Kinda sounds like Gold Mountain ;)

JUst wondering if this is the place near Twenty nine Palms? If thats the case it really does sound great to me. That would only be an hour and a half or so. BTW is it inside Joshua Tree National Park?
Just wondering because the article I just read made it sound as if it was right next to or inside the park.
Only question I have is what's chance of damage to our trucks?

Anyway it sounds like a great run to me, what does everyone else think?

This is a little info on the area I found on the net about the area.
Dead Link Removed

i am pretty sure i will be free that weekend, and so if its not TOO far of a drive, ill be there.

Glad to hear it Chris, from what I've read it sounds like it could really be fun at several levels, and I want to try out my new C.B. too.

If you read the article linked on my last post it sounds like there were several mining towns in the area and it could be fun exploring those areas. Plus the article makes some of the trails challenging 4X4 trials.

Near 29 Palms!

Bob,

You're right! Brooklyn Mine is located near 29 Palms near the perimeter of the Joshua Tree National Park. You'll have a good time, but the trail is bumpy in sections with some areas that will give you a flashback of being on Gold Mountain, but with big 'ol rocks in the trail and 500 ft. hillclimbs on the edges of hills leading to more Gold Mines and branching off onto more trails!

This stuff might p!ss off Rachel - but, you'll enjoy yourself thoroughly. The challenges are there for sure...

It looks like it's coming together, we have coolchriscush, down as a probable, Ken Cooke and myself, down as definite, and waiting to hear from Dave (DB_1) and jobunn. If we could get all five onboard it would be cool, and if anyone else is interested you're welcome to jump aboard

On tiny problem...

Bob,

I heard the Brooklyn Mine trail will test the trailworthiness of your skid plating. If you chose to drive the main trail, and if you stayed out of the creek bed that parallels the trail, I hear it will be much easier for you to complete. However, I heard that some sections were a little messy, and that you have to exercise extreme caution on that uphill climb, because the miners didn't build guardrails on their trails...

Hi Ken

Aren't there other trails in the general area that have varying levels of difficulty? From what I read it's in the Dale Mining District so there should be something out there for us to do. I read about some easier trails that require 4X4, and sandy washes for those of us who only have 31's. Areas we could have some fun and not worry about major damage. Like losing our front ends, or splitting our pumpkins?

sorry guys, im not going to be able to make it... thats the saturday that im getting all my 100k maintence done, and im hanging out with aron (xtremexplorer) while his friend/mechanic does all the maintence.

maybe next time...

Really sorry coolchriscush you can't make it, but there will be a next time. Hope everything goes well with the 100k maintence check.

Better stick with Cleghorn Rd...

This sounds like the better plan for all of us out there...

What ever, I just want to get the off-road. It might be a little easier for those of us with just the 31's and TT Shackle lift too. My impression is there a huge number of off shoots from the main road. So there should be enough to keep eveyone involved

Oh and by the way I just orded a hand held again for checking out the condition of roads, spotting etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds Like Fun...I'm a Maybe

Hey guys, this sounds like fun. I just found this thread and don't know yet if I can make it. I really want to go but need to check with my better half. I'll let you know soon.

-Mark

Back