Desert run 10/12/02 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desert run 10/12/02

I've been up there after or even during a storm and with 4wd they require that even though you dont have to have chains installed, you have to show CHP that you at least have them with you...thats been my experience anyways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm...how much are you thinking about the chains.

And whats going on with this alledged run next weekend? I'm debating whether to go on this explorer run or go to the mogfest at truckhaven...

Originally posted by Josh S.
hmm...how much are you thinking about the chains.

And whats going on with this alledged run next weekend? I'm debating whether to go on this explorer run or go to the mogfest at truckhaven...

Well, I just talked to the U.S. Forest Service and the Department of Fish and Game who both said the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests will be closed "indefinitely" due to fire danger, or they said, until we get 2" to 4" of rain!!! They said to expect closure until as late as January. Los Padres National Forest is open. That means no recreational activity in the two forests, so I think that includes the Cleghorn area that was being considered.

Hungry Valley Recreation area near Gorman is open, probably Littlerock Rec. area near Palmdale but that is considerably farther for most of you.

We would have to pick a spot in the Cleveland National forest, Los Padres Forest or one of the desert spots we were discussing earlier.

What a pain!

Any other ideas?

I've got that itch...

I've got that desert itch again...

If you guys feel that rough, high-clearance trails with terrain that might challenge the sidewalls and treads of your tires sounds like a good time, and where old mines and history abound, then, I've got a few nice places to show everyone.

The name of the game isn't necessarily clearance, but driver finesse and calm behind the wheel.

I can lead you guys up some spots where if you're running 31's, you're gonna hear the metal scrape on rock! I can show you trail that will challenge the guys with 33s, but also please the guys with 31's. I can show you guys an actual Gold Mine that you can walk in without any trouble, and still see the hardware used to put this mine together lying in scattered piles. I can take you to a spot that has plenty of space for goofing off where even DB-1 got his 9-inch front suspension hung up on dirt, spinning tire like there was no tomorrow!

I can show you a messy mining trail that's smooth on one side, but with boulders meant for rock crawling off to the shoulder. Best of all, it's all located in between 29 Palms and Joshua Tree N.P. We can do it all in one day, and be home before midnight without a dent on the sheetmetal or a busted axle (that is, if you're careful out there, and not taking your chances)...

...Let me know if this sounds like a plan?

Hmmm. It depends on when and what time you would be heading out... I have some new RCD equipment to test out. :)

--Sean

The way we did things last time -- by meeting up at 9 a.m. and leaving for the trail at 9:30 a.m. worked pretty well. Any time later than 10 a.m. throws things off with regard to having to break right away for lunch, etc.

We met up at the I-10/HWY 111 split, and we were able to jump back on the fwy from there with no problems. Coming from H.B., you can make it out to this area in about 2 hrs. But, if you're hanging out in the Coachella Valley with your family, by 9 a.m., you'll already have your eggs and hash browns in your stomach, looking for some action!:D

Just out of curiosity is there a rest stop right at the I-10/HWY 111 split?

Oh and Ken you know my setup I'm running 31's and the last time I heard metal scraping along the bottom of my X it ended up costing $140.00 or so to get it fixed. So I'm not too sure if I'm in a hurry to hear that sound again anytime soon. Besides Rachael would kill me, and my off road days would be over in the X. Or at least until I can get the money to pay cash for something I can bounce off a rock or lean against a tree and not worry about it.

Deal Me In, Boys!

Hey Guys,

How about another desert run!?!?! Hell, yeah! Ken, I'm game. Sounds like the same run we did in September? Count me in.

Bob, I ran that with 31" BFGs and just the TT on the front. I did scrape once on the way from one of the mines up on Old Dale Road. Ken, do you remmber where that was? I've got that map I bought but I didn't rember the name of the mine. That was right around the place where Dave heard the rattle snake. Nothing was damaged at all underneath. It was an awesome run. And with Ken as the guide we'll all have a blast. He knows this area well. Bob, I don't want alarm you but I thought you'd want to know my experience with almost the same setup. Maybe Ken can offer an alternate?

Count me in! I'll drive up from San Diego on Saturday morning.

I'll be installing the shackles today.

Just a rant:
The shackles finally came in on Friday. It seems that Off Road Warehouse would rather make a bit more profit on the shackles than special order for a customer. ORW told me they'd special order for me on the 16th and I'd have to pay the freight which was under $10 and that was ok with me. I knew Warrior had them in stock and ready to ship that day because I called them on the 16th. But it turns out ORW held my order until the 27th when they placed a very large order with Warrior thus probably getting a better deal overall and since they ordered 10 shackles the probably got a price break on each unit.

Anyway, they've lost me as a customer. Having to wait 3 weeks for a one week order is very poor customer service. Not to mention the run-around such as the guy saying Warrior was still manugfacturing them and it was their delay. This is too bad since they are only 5 minutes from my house. Next time I'll drive further or order online from someone else.

I also tried to buy tires there and they told me I needed to pay for them first and then they'd order them and have them there the next day. I don't believe for one minute that they would have had them the next day when I came back. And since I'd have already paid for them they would have tried to hold me hostage saying they'll be in tomorrow.

Sorry for ranting,
-Mark

Mark That soesn't sound bad at all then, so if can make anyway I will be there with my digital camera and a great expectations. Ken knows how my rig is set up, and he's said before that I should be ok. But the sound of rocks grinding on metal kinda freaks me out. The only things that will hold me back is my health or if my kids come up for the weekend.

By the way I bought a limited series 5/8 wave fiberglass Red White and Blue four foot Fire stick and put it on top of the X. It's huge it looks like over kill,I'm not to sure about if it will work as well but I have a black 2 foot ordered and I'm hoping it gets here before the run. I also bought a 40 channel walky talky Cobra that I thought would be good for spotting or if someone needs to borrow a radio, it was on e-bay for $10.00, and is wupposed to be a like new reburbished radio.

Saturday's Run

Bob,

The place where my Ranger bounced around before being able to hold a straight line and climb was the same spot where Mark Meenahan grinded a skidplate. We did this section in the dark which made it *TONS OF FUN*, but because you don't want to get in *TONS OF TROUBLE* with Rachael, I'll be sure to spot you on that section. It's pretty simple - you just have to take it from the outside, and drive up diagnally. I can drive your X up that spot if you want - with no dents, and no dings!

Mark,

That Off Road Warehouse place sounds like they play some of the same games as a place here in Riverside by the name of CUSTOM MOTORSPORTS. Those jerks tried to sell me a set of Swampers for my Ranger once. I needed to make sure they would fit without rubbing. They told me, "Once you bolt them on, they're yours!" When they gave me the line about having to order them, having to wait 2 weeks for the shipment, I asked them, "Where are you getting them from?" They replied, "Four Wheel Parts." That solved that. I knew Four Wheel Parts was waiting on an order from Interco, so I told them I would just order the tires from 4 Wheel Parts and cut them out of the mix! The worst part of all, was that they were getting these tires at wholesale, and selling them to me retail at $10 over what I would have paid retail at 4 Wheel Parts! Duh! Momma didn't raise no dummy! :thumbdwn:

Seriously, I'll be ready for the run. We can meet up at the reststop just past the I-10/HWY 111 junction along I-10 if this makes a meetup simpler... Just give your opinions, and I'll be there - rain or shine!:cool:

Thanks for the note on the trail Ken, if you didit in the dark I should be able to handle it I hope.

As for the meeting place I'm for the the reststop.

Just found out I can't make it the. Wish I could, but maybe next time.

Trip Itinerary

Okay guys,

We'll meetup on Saturday morning [Oct 12th] at Snow Creek Road just off of HWY 111 (about 1.5 miles south of I-10) north of Palm Springs (near the sand dunes)...
The meetup time will be 9 a.m., and we will depart from Snow Creek Road at 9:30 a.m.

Please monitor channel 33 - I will begin communication once I reach HWY 111, and maybe we can see how well that RCD lift works on Desert Spive's IFS Ranger!

I spoke with my buddy Desert Dan - I'll be picking him up at his house in downtown Palm Springs Saturday morning, and he'll be bringing along his laptop computer, outfitted with topographic detail of the entire region we hope to visit.

Dan has traveled extensively to the Brooklyn Mine region of the Joshua Tree NP, and he warns that there are some sections of the trail that are "whitenuckle" - narrow stretches with sheer drop offs. I have a fear of heights, but as long as my rig doesn't break down in one of these sections, or somebody stalls on a tricky uphill section, I'll be fine. Otherwise...:eek:

Mark Meenahan mentioned that he wanted to return to the play/party section of the upper Old Dale Road. This will work just fine. We will have just enough time to travel Old Dale Road (skipping Golden Egg), up to O.K. Mine (where DB-1 came face-to-face with the Rattler), and then to the cutoff to Brooklyn Mine. We can have lunch at O.K. Mine, then at the cutoff to Brooklyn Mine, we'll look our vehicles over, then, we're gonna do some SERIOUS EXPLORATIONS!!! :cool:

My cell phone # is: (909) 255-1589 Please do not pass this along to the Park Service - they called me once and bugged me about all kinds of b.s. in June - if they call me, I might be a little rude! LOL!

All we need to know now is, who is coming, and who will be able to make it out this Saturday!

I'm ready! I just installed the shackles today and i am looking forward to another run.

I did the torsion lift a few weeks ago (just before the last desert run with The Desert Outlaw & Dave) and afterwards I noticed a stiffer ride and now with the shackles it seems like the front end wants to dive when I do heavy braking. And the steering seems looser. With just the torsion lift it seemed more steady in braking and steering. Anyone else have experiences like this with an Explorer?

Ken, could we pick another CB channel? I bought a SWR meter and found that ch 33 is one of my worse channels. I can see what my SWR meter reads on other channels and then offer some alternatives. Some channels were giving me an excellent SWR reading of 1.3 where ch 33 gave me a SWR reading of over 3! :( The high SWR on ch 33 is why I couldn't hear you when you raced out of sight on those open dirt roads. You better watch your speed smokey might have an eye on you :D

-Mark

Sorry guys, can't make it this go around. I work on the weekends, and will be doing the Mojave Road in two weeks and can't afford to take any more time off this month.

--Sean

Ken
If this run is still on count me in too. Just let me know if it is still a go. 9a.m. hey 111 rest area right ?:redexp:

man...everybody's bailing out! That sucks. Oh well, I believe I'll be able to go if I can bolt mine back together in time. Its sitting in my driveway right now on jackstands with the suspension hanging down. I'm putting in daystars for the axle pivots and radius arms. Anyways, you guys still goin?? Btw, could I get some more explicit directions comin from the oc area? I think I would take the 91e right? Then what? Thanks

Exxxplicit Directions...

THUNDERHORSE! We will meet up at the following location...

Snow Creek Road - Hwy 111

To get there, take HWY 91 (from Riverside, Corona, O.C.) to the 215/91/60 junction. Continue straight on through. You will travel on this section for about 5-6 miles until you begin heading downhill towards the 91/I-10 interchange. Travel EAST on HWY 10 beginning in San Bernardino until you reach the beginning of the Low Desert. Once you pass The Cabazon Outlet Shopping Center (on your left), you will see mention of HWY 111/Palm Springs. Travel in the far right lane at this point. About 2-3 miles past the Cabazon Outlets, you will see HWY 111 open up on your right. Stay to the right, and you will begin driving towards Mount San Jacinto and the sand dunes.

Continue to your first exit about 1.5 miles south of I-10 on HWY 111. This first street on your RIGHT HAND SIDE will be Snow Creek Road. I will be there at about 9 a.m. I will wait for others to show up until 9:30 a.m. or if someone is late and they contact me on my cell phone before 9:30 we will wait longer. We will monitor Channel 4 on your CB radios. From here, we will decide which channel works best out in the bush (where Meenahan's radio is concerned).

Be sure to pack 2 gallons of water on ice per person, a good hat, sunscreen, lip balm, and lunch. We'll be out all day, and I hope to have us off of the trail at dusk.

So far, those traveling with us are:

Ken "The Desert Outlaw" Cooke
Dan "Desert Dan" Wilson
Jerry (a.k.a. "Thunderhorse")
Josh S. (maybe, if he can get that rig bolted together!)
Mark Meenahan
Jobunn (maybe???)
DB-1 (maybe?)

So, 3 rigs definitely will hit the trail - All Fords! :D
I'm eager to check out the rock garden that Rich Horowitz took his Great Pumpkin on. If my open-diffed Ranger cannot hang, I'm sure that Thunderhorse's Rubicon-built Explorer can handle the chore. I'd like to see DB-1's rig on those rocks as well. His straight-axled Ranger looks to be more than built up for those rocks. As for me, I'll see each and every one of you on the trail!:cool:

Hell yeah!! I finished up my crap last night and I'm gonna go pick it up right now from getting aligned. I'm ready to rock and gettin' excited. Thanks for the better directions dude.

Thats funny that you mentioned ch.33 initially, because thats the channel I tuned mine to a few months back...but I'll throw it on 4 when I get close. Sounds like its going to be fun and I'll be there on saturday.

One more ?- What time do you think I should leave my pad in the morning to get there by 9am? I'm live about the 55 and 22 interchange. Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I tried and tried but the odds are against me right now on making this one. I just can't seem to get a free weekend. :(

Count me out for now. I will let you all know if anything changes. Either way, take lots of pics, I am going there at some point hopefully with this group.

Back