Deteriorated Body Mounts | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deteriorated Body Mounts

It's called 'Designing in a Failure Point'. All manufacturers (not just Ford, or car mfrs, either) do this in some form or fashion. In Auto Mfr's case, they have to support there Parts & Service Operations + provide guaranteed work for their Dealer network. Body Mounts, rubber hoses, bushings, etc, are just some obvious examples for this 'Design Feature'. Others, such as proprietary parts, repairs that require special tools, or anything that introduces a SUBTLE way for something to require service (esp. beyond Warranty coverage) is an opportunity for revenue.

Many DIY-ers will thwart these repairs, but a large enough portion of owners will pay the Dealer for service (& parts). Not trying to sound cynical, but That's the American Way.

I totally agree well put!
This still doesnt explain why this certain bushing location goes bad more often then the rest of them when they are all the same bushings!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's usually the one under the driver that goes bad first because that's where more weight is at most times.

I have the same problem on my '01 S/T only the four busings under the cab are gone. The rest of the bushings are showing no signs of wear at all. Ford needs to own up to this and take care of their loyal customers ,else they may be alot more pissed off Ford Sport Trac owners. Dont get me wrong I love my S/T just hate that my truck was probably 4yrs old when the body mount bushings started to really deteriorate in my hand. I did everything possible to stop it with no fix at all. Listen to other early model Explorers and F150s riding down the road on side of you. Youll hear the same noise your truck makes.Look at other stories online and they all say there having the same problems with the same four body mount bushings under the cab of the truck.

Ford Motor Company why dont you just give us the stinking parts we need and let us (owners)replace them?

Yes good luck with any big company owning up to there F UP!!

Yea i wish this wasnt my daily driver and had more time to do everything right. At least i did replace one of the bushings (the one that no longer existed)

Did you finish installing the rest of the bushings? How did that go? I've heard that the squeaking comes back immediately with the Daystar kit. Just trying to find out if this is true.

You just need to put alittle grease on both ends of the new bushings to quiet the squeeking, not alot just a thin layer. Just like putting dielectric grease on a ignition control module for a HEI setup.

You do the same thing when your sway bar bushings are squeaking.

Did you finish installing the rest of the bushings? How did that go? I've heard that the squeaking comes back immediately with the Daystar kit. Just trying to find out if this is true.

I only replaced the one so far. Waiting on the weather to get nicer and i'll probably replace all the cab bushings. As far as the squeaking goes i dont really notice it anymore so i must of got the one that was squeaking.

I have the same problem with all of the bushings on our 2001 Sport falling apart or completely gone. I have already replaced the rear bushings with Ford bushings and got rid of that awful noise. The front bushings are fine, but they do not appear to be made of the same inferior foam urethane that Ford used on the rest of the bushings.

My son and I plan to buy the Daystar bushing kit (Ford bushings' cost have become ridiculously high since we replaced the rear ones), and want to just replace the second set of bushings from the front. They are popping and squeaking terribly, when turning right or in a circle. The other two sets of bushings on the sides need to be replaced as well, but the labor cost to replace all 6 bushings is way too expensive right now, especially being that my son wants to sell the Explorer soon.

Archlab, when you indicated that you replaced just one set of bushings, which set did you replace? If you replaced ones on the side, were you able to lift the body enough to put the bushing between the frame and the body or did you have to completely loosen all of the other side bushings on that side to be able to replace just one set?

When my mechanic replaced the rear bushings about 1 1/2 years ago, he did not have to loosen any of the side bushings. He did say it would have been much easier to have replaced both rear bushings at the same time. Instead he replaced the noisey one first and then had to replace the other one after it began to squeak and pop.

Hello everyone. I have found some awesome info here that is super good. I am gonna make an attempt here and post some pics of the before operation I will be undertaking tomorrow. Gonna work the drivers side first and then get the passenger side. With a little luck, and a possible extra set of hands when needed, I should be able to get this done within a days time. Thanks for looking and feel free to leave comments and/or questions.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1381.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1380.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1402.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1401.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1396.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/ratman12/Sport Trac/DSCF1394.jpg

By the way these are all on the passenger side of the vehicle. The two in the pictures here are behind the wheel well and in the middle beneath the post.

I only replaced the one so far. Waiting on the weather to get nicer and i'll probably replace all the cab bushings. As far as the squeaking goes i dont really notice it anymore so i must of got the one that was squeaking.

Hello and good afternoon to you. I have found your info to be very helpful. I have made a post on this forum with some pics that kinda look like all the other bushings I have viewed. In person on others vehicles or by way of pictures.

Just keep in mind that you wont use all those daystar bushings. The only major ones to replace are the 6 in the cab. My others look fine and dont follow the instructions because they are for the SUV explorer and not the sport trac. Make up your own order with the ones that match up closest to your stock ones.

Any Videos of Daystar Body Bushings Being Installed

Has anyone found any videos on YouTube or elsewhere of Daystar bushings being installed on preferably Explorer Sport, but even a Sport Trac? I just bought Daystar bushings for our Sport from Summit Racing for $162 and picked them up at their McDonough, GA store. Now my son and I need to find a body shop or mechanic who will install all bushings, but the rear and front bushings. A body shop guy said he has never attempted the installation before, but is willing to give it a go for $40/hr. He said if my son and I will supply him with any helpful info as to how to install them and remove the carpet or at least do whatever we can do to reduce the time, he then can spend his time installing the bushings. Thanks for any feedback.

Bushing project

:dunno: Well, so much for that project. Rain was not supposed to get here til afternoon. At least the omelet and biscuits were good. Did manage to get the drivers seat out and got the mat cleaned somewhat. I did take the tool box off the truck and had it sitting on the picnic table with lid open and yes it got wet on the inside just a little bit. Gonna have to dry some stuff off later on. Anyways ya'll have a good day and will send out some more pics later.

BTW, Gse Brent, good pics of the bushings. Gonna go with what you got on your pics and jot the numbers from the bushings down so that others will know which ones to use in the future. Thanks

Yea if i ever get around to doing it again. I'll make a note of all the daystar part numbers used for upper and lower bushings for the 6 cab bushings.

Yea if i ever get around to doing it again. I'll make a note of all the daystar part numbers used for upper and lower bushings for the 6 cab bushings.

Good afternoon. Finally got through with the 4 sets of bushings. I did torque them down to 60 ft. lbs.

@ Gse Brent... What I ended up doing was using the following bushing numbers on those 4 sets. On the ones behind the fender wells the M02541 for upper and the M02543 for the lower were used and the ones used under the center post were M02544 for upper and M02543 for the lower. Test drove it for about five miles just to see if there was any popping or squeaking and heard none. Am gonna take it out for a spin this evening to see how it holds up at highway speed for about 10 or 15 miles. Will get some pics up later on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did torque them down to 60 ft. lbs.

When I did my body lift that kit said to torque the bolts down to 100 ft. lbs.. Not sure if it amkes a difference. Just a heads up.

Back