1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dialing in camshaft timing-or "degreeing"

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Turdle, February 14, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Masterbaker Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      What are the effects and results-
      good-bad?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1859704&posted=1#post1859704
      ^^^^^^^^^info here^^^^^^^^^

lets keep the comments in this thread please-

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Martinsburg WV
      84 BII "Li'l Samson"
      I used to use offset bushings in my cam sprocket so I could advance or retard my cams. Now this was on chevy engines but same principle. It was just a way of rotating the cam in the sprocket while the sprocket stayed in the same geometric plane as the crank sprocket. In other words, lets say that your engine specs call for both timing marks on the cam sprocket and crank sprocket to be exactly facing each other. Cam mark on bottom of sprocket and crank mark on top of sprocket. Now with this offset bushing installed in the cam sprocket, it lets me rotate the cam a few degrees. Either advance or retard, depends on which way I install the offset bushing.

So now I can have more low end power or top end power, depending whether the cam is advance or retarded. A cam with a lot of split overlap is more designed for higher RPMs. This is where you will get more beneficial air flow as the momentum of the column of outgoing air is pulling (by vacuum) fresh air thru the intake, even before the piston starts it's downward travel. So your now getting some free air as to speak. But now you will have that real lopy sound at idle and may not have as much air in your air booster for brakes. Your vacuum may suffer at low RPMs.

4. malohnes

malohnes Active Member

City, State:
      SE Alaska
      '91 xl m5 4x4
      Old thread, I know, but I'm surprised at the lack of responses from either this thread or the referenced thread. 'Im reviving it in hopes of more activity form those who have experience in cam swapping and tuning their 4.0L OHV engines.

In my research and understanding a general rule of thumb is: retarding a cam a few degrees will reduce HP and increase torque while advancing cam with do the opposite, that is, boost hp and reduce torque, all things being equal. This isn't gonna necessarily add actual hp or torque so much that it changes the natural hp or torque curves so that they build sooner or later in the rpm's. When you buy an aftermarket cam this effect is all ready calculated in to the profile fo the cam itself, so it can be very difficult to compare the effects of a stock cam advanced or retarded to a aftermarket cam. to further complicate things, our OHV engines dont have adjsutable cams nor aftermarket support for adjustable performance cams. This changes dramatically when Forced Induction comes into play as boost complicates the airflow characteristics and therefore the fuel requirements for proper combustion.

I personally think that you can change the alignment of the chain and sprocket to achieve this effect, by literally skipping a tooth on the cam sprocket plus or minus so the alignment dots on the crank and cam gears don't line up exactly. A machine shop could custom make an adjustable cam sprocket but I would expect it to be a very expensive mod for few or any gains gains. However, it would be a very educational project to see exactly what happens when one advances or retards our stock cams.
      But, just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should. I'd rather throw a 410 or 422 cam in and mess with 1.6:1+ rocker arms to gain some actually airflow and ponies.