• Register Today It's free!

Did I get hosed?

Fays

Reaction score
City, State
Ithaca, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I recently had some repairs done on my 99 Explorer. At first, I was just getting the catalytic converter replaced, and I paid fro it up front. Once I went to pick it up, I was told by my mechanic that some additional repairs were needed, so they went ahead and did them (and of course added it to my bill). Here is my question:
The shop replaced the upper and lower ball joints, and also the outer tie rod end. When I picked up the truck, my mechanic warned me that it would probably squeak for a while, but then it should stop. Here I am, about 600 miles later, and not only has it not stopped, but the wheel shakes and I hear a rubbng sound when I turn the wheel hard. Also, there is a continuous, rythmic squeaking coming from the passenger side (not sure if from the front or rear- but I think its the rear). I was told by the shop that it is because I need my brakes replaced. What the hex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently had some repairs done on my 99 Explorer. At first, I was just getting the catalytic converter replaced, and I paid fro it up front. Once I went to pick it up, I was told by my mechanic that some additional repairs were needed, so they went ahead and did them (and of course added it to my bill). Here is my question:
The shop replaced the upper and lower ball joints, and also the outer tie rod end. When I picked up the truck, my mechanic warned me that it would probably squeak for a while, but then it should stop. Here I am, about 600 miles later, and not only has it not stopped, but the wheel shakes and I hear a rubbng sound when I turn the wheel hard. Also, there is a continuous, rythmic squeaking coming from the passenger side (not sure if from the front or rear- but I think its the rear). I was told by the shop that it is because I need my brakes replaced. What the hex?

1st:
I would have said "Thank you for fixing it, but I didnt authorize that work, I'm not paying for it."

2nd:
Find a new mechanic. New parts should never make noise (unless its part of the stereo system).

1st:
I would have said "Thank you for fixing it, but I didnt authorize that work, I'm not paying for it."

2nd:
Find a new mechanic. New parts should never make noise (unless its part of the stereo system).

Yup! THIS.

New parts should never make noise (unless its part of the stereo system).

Ahaha, or if it's a new muffler. ;)

But, it sounds like they did a bad job. Go back to the shop, tell them to fix the problem or you'll take legal actions. Usually that gets them worried cause they know they screwed you over.

Ahaha, or if it's a new muffler. ;)

But, it sounds like they did a bad job. Go back to the shop, tell them to fix the problem or you'll take legal actions. Usually that gets them worried cause they know they screwed you over.

A muffler is supposed to suppress noise, not make it. :D

Back