Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the DB5T-14N139-DB

Thank you. I tried looking this part number up on fordparts but I only get an eBay listing. I wonder if they changed the part number.

Thank you. I tried looking this part number up on fordparts but I only get an eBay listing. I wonder if they changed the part number.

They might have, I bought mine on eBay, the one on ebay get it, I think it has one broken plug but that's an easy fix

ok i read through this entire thread and my head is spinning lol i have a question, i want to add a class 3 hitch and the tow button to my explorer xlt non tow package, i will only be towing light, maybe up to 3500lbs. will the tow button work? is it ok to tow tat much with a aftermarket hitch installed by uhaul?

Thanks guys

ok i read through this entire thread and my head is spinning lol i have a question, i want to add a class 3 hitch and the tow button to my explorer xlt non tow package, i will only be towing light, maybe up to 3500lbs. will the tow button work? is it ok to tow tat much with a aftermarket hitch installed by uhaul?

Thanks guys

The tow button will work from what I've heard but towing components are like links of a chain - the weakest link dictates the towing capacity.

The basic links are 1) the engine, 2) cooling, 3) transmission, 4) drive train and 5) hitch.

The engine is the same as the XLT with towing but you are missing the additional oil cooler and the transmission is different although there's no clear description from Ford on how the towing rated transmission differs from the transmissions put in the non-tow-package Explorers. Even with a beefed up hitch, I think you'd be making a mistake to tow more than 2,000 lbs. That's just my opinion, though.

From what I've gathered, a non factory class III hitch will only be rated for 2000 lbs., even if dealer installed. As mentioned above, there are other components that are added to an Explorer at the factory for 5000 lb. towing, including a different transmission and oil cooler.

Peter

Hopefully this will give you guys a better idea of the whole process and you can DIY.

Hi, I just want to say thank you to everybody contributing in this thread. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with out the tow package, I wish I would've gotten one with the tow package. I am in the USAF and was recently told that I have to move from Utah to NY.

This would not have been a problem except that my other car was a 2013 Nissan Leaf. If you don't know what a Nissan Leaf is, it's an electric car with only a 80 mile range. It wasn't going to make it to NY by itself. So I thought it would be a good idea to tow it with the explorer.

I used all of the info on this forum to make my explorer able to tow it.

I installed the oil cooler. Hopefully you can make it out.

IMG_1841.jpg

I installed the tow button.

IMG_1840.jpg

And, of course, I installed the class three tow hook. The exhaust tips are wicked crooked. If anybody can tell me how to fix them that would be awesome.

IMG_1833.jpg

I was nervous about the transmission but I went ahead and did it anyways. Here I am getting read to set off from Utah.

IMG_4010.jpg

The car plus the trailer plus some stuff in the leaf had a combined weight over 4,000lbs. Trust me, I got super nervous towing this car over 2,000 miles.

Long story short, the Explorer did it. No problems at all. I even hit cruising speeds of 70 mph. Here it is at our new house in NY.

IMG_1836.jpg

It was a long grueling drive, especially with two little kids. But here is the trip info from my dash.

IMG_1839.jpg

MPG was not so great, granted I was towing over 4,000 lbs.

I wanted to make this post because I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who contributed in this thread. With this thread, I would not have done this. Also, the transmission did hold and ever since its been shifting smoothly. Again, if anybody can tell me how to fix the exhaust tips, that would be awesome.

Did you notice anything with the tow button?

YES!!! From what I could tell, it let the engine rev up higher before shifting. Didn't shift as much. Would not let the car go into 6th gear. When I was slowing down, especially when I was getting off on an off ramp, it aided my car brakes with engine braking. You can definitely notice a difference with the tow button.

can you tell us more on how was the oil cooler installed?

can you tell us more on how was the oil cooler installed?

It was an easy install. I installed the oil cooler on the radiator, or atleast I think it's the radiator or something for the AC. Anyways, installed the cooler on the front of the car and the adapter went between the oil filter and the engine case. That is where the oil is routed to the cooler. It was super easy and I just followed the instructions.

It was an easy install. I installed the oil cooler on the radiator, or atleast I think it's the radiator or something for the AC. Anyways, installed the cooler on the front of the car and the adapter went between the oil filter and the engine case. That is where the oil is routed to the cooler. It was super easy and I just followed the instructions.

Care to share the oil cooler model/part#?

Not that the Explorer can't handle it as you clearly experienced it can but I wanted to make it clear that although you added the parts, the Explorer is not legally rated to tow above the 2,000lbs. The manufacturer is the one that certifies it and being without the factory package, it does not increase the legal limit no matter what you do.

It is no different then me buying a F250 and installing the F350 blocks and additional leaf spring (only difference between the F250 and F350). The manufacturer certification is what the vehicle can handle no matter what you modify.

Not that the Explorer can't handle it as you clearly experienced it can but I wanted to make it clear that although you added the parts, the Explorer is not legally rated to tow above the 2,000lbs. The manufacturer is the one that certifies it and being without the factory package, it does not increase the legal limit no matter what you do.

It is no different then me buying a F250 and installing the F350 blocks and additional leaf spring (only difference between the F250 and F350). The manufacturer certification is what the vehicle can handle no matter what you modify.

Your right. But honestly, I don't care about the legality of it and I was prepared to buy a new transmission if it did break. That was my main concern, the transmission, because of the chatter on this thread with the different part numbers; not the legality of it. But to a lot of other people, legality does matter.

Care to share the oil cooler model/part#?

I don't remember the part and serial number. Just go to etrailers.com and put in your vehicle info for an oil cooler. That's where I got mine from. They will sell you an oil cooler that works for your vehicle. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Your right. But honestly, I don't care about the legality of it and I was prepared to buy a new transmission if it did break. That was my main concern, the transmission, because of the chatter on this thread with the different part numbers; not the legality of it. But to a lot of other people, legality does matter.

The challenge would have come from your insurance company had you been in an accident or from Ford had you had a warranty claim.

As you point out, not a concern for some... but it would suck to be in an accident and have it all pinned on you.

Having said that, I did modify my sport with all class 3 stuff. It is exactly like a factory explorer with tow, but I am aware of the risks if I chose to tow a lot. I think that's the biggest thing... people should just be aware of the risk they are taking (financially).

Nevermind figured it all out. Complete job took me about 3 hours. :thumbsup:

When you installed your trim around the cut out opening did all tabs snap in easily and stay secure? It appears I have one tab that goes in all the way but does not stay completely in. I must have cut the hole too large or broke one of the tabs that stick out on the side. Now I have to figure out a way to the the left side of this trim seat completely against the bumper cover. Maybe some type of adhesive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Sport and just had an aftermarket Curt Hitch installed. I am only towing a small trailer to help move my brother-in-law's stuff as of now, so I dont plan to pull over 2,000 pounds. Had I know adding a hitch on my own would be such a big issue I would not have settled on the Explorer I gotten and instead waited for one that had the factory hitch.

I have read through several post on the subject and understand the risk if I should choose to tow a larger trailer, but with that said I have a couple of questions.

1) Where can I order the tow/haul button from and will it make a difference? [Part number if possible]

2) Will the tow/haul button add brake controls or do I need to add separate controller?

3) Does the anti-sway feature work without the button? and how do I activate it?

3) Do I need the added oil cooler? Many have said my sport already has it as well as the same transmission that the Explorers with the tow option has.

The reason I am asking is because I would like to get a RV travel trailer in the future and it would be nice to not need another vehicle to utilize it. Part of the reason I got the sport with the top of the line engine was so it would be versatile enough pull a trailer as well as my family.

Back