Digital Dash Swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Digital Dash Swap?

G

geoph1986

Hey there Guru's,
I was at my favorite U-pull, and came across a Limited X, with digital gauges, and am now wondering what's all involved (wiring wise), with swapping it into my XLT. I know a lot of people dislike the digital gauges because they can burn out, but I've always liked them. I know that this is wishful thinking, but it would be great if it was just plug and play. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

EDIT: I posted this in the "stock" forum because the Limited X came with these from the factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you say digital guages do you mean the overhead console with a few trip guages in it thats digital, or a full digital dash?
cuz ive nvr heard of an X with a full digital dash.
if it is that, can you take a pic of it?

It's a full digital dash (it also has the overhead console, but I'm not interested in that). I would've taken a pic, but I didn't have a camera with me, and I can draw better pictures than my phone can take. There's not much to look at. The dash looks just like mine and the instrument cluster is just a black "sheet" that would light up when it's on.

I have never seen any 1st Gen explorer, or even a 2nd Gen explorer with a factory Digital dashboard. Some of the 2nd Gens had the digital overhead console..

~Mark

It may have been from a Sable LS/Taurus LX digital dash...

Check it out:

CLICK ME

Joe Dirt:

It looks like that, except there's no hole for the trip reset button, there's no display under the ashtray and there isn't any "aftermarket" push buttons. So, I guess this isn't something that was offered in the Explorers, and someone must have put this in. Too bad, I wanted to put it in, but if it's a mod, then I can go and do it myself and then I won't have to deal with any "ghetto" type stuff that may be behind the dash. Thanks guys.

My 89 van has a digital dash. You might want to look at one of those to get ideas. Sometimes I see them on EBay.

Does it look like this? Could you post a pic of yours lit up?
Instrument_Cluster-Early_03b.jpg

Joe Dirt:

It looks like that, except there's no hole for the trip reset button, there's no display under the ashtray and there isn't any "aftermarket" push buttons. So, I guess this isn't something that was offered in the Explorers, and someone must have put this in. Too bad, I wanted to put it in, but if it's a mod, then I can go and do it myself and then I won't have to deal with any "ghetto" type stuff that may be behind the dash. Thanks guys.

The hole for the trip reset button is pointless- that looks like it was the plastic cover from his old manual cluster.

The display under the dash was a part of the Sable kit that was installed, somewhat like the message center in our trucks (if equipped)

The buttons probably don't have anything to do with the dash unless he used them to replace the switchset that is needed to operate the dash. If you look at the swap in Jelloslug's car (the SHO linked in the Ranger thread above) he is an electronics nut and might just be the guy you would want to get a hold of and ask...

Good luck- if it was put into a Ranger, it can be put into an Ex... Go for it! :thumbsup:

The hole for the trip reset button is pointless- that looks like it was the plastic cover from his old manual cluster.

The truck at the yard doesn't have the hole.

The buttons probably don't have anything to do with the dash unless he used them to replace the switchset that is needed to operate the dash.

That's exactly what happened.

if it was put into a Ranger, it can be put into an Ex... Go for it! :thumbsup:

I'm seriously looking into it. I just need to find a digital cluster, and try to fit it in. Time to start doing some junkyard research. If I can't find a Taurus/Sable, maybe I could use one from a Grand Marquis or a Lincoln. It's all going to be about fitting it into the X's cluster housing, as I'd like to do what the right up said and use the X's factory cluster plugs. So if the cluster looks like it will fit, then I will look at a wiring diagram and see if it's compatible. I'd also like to have the RPM gauge. Anybody feel free to post some pics of other ford digital dashes, preferably from around the same era as I expect them to be similar to each other. I wonder if a GM cluster (don't shun me, it's just about cosmetics) would work? I did like the way the one in my '93 Jimmy looked.

OK, I've been really looking into doing this. Joe Dirt had posted this link, which I'm going to use as a guide.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52878

In that thread, the guy used a cluster from a SHO. Although it looks really cool, there's a few things I want that isn't on that cluster, and there's a few things I don't want. So here we go. I would like to fit all the digital guts into the Explorer cluster, like the guy in the link did. I would like to retain the stock harnesses. I also want to have all the gauges (oil, temp, alt, fuel, tach & speedo), but I don't want or care about the message center.

I have found that early Ford Probe LX's had a cluster that looks like it would be a good candidate.
probedigitaldash.jpg

But it still has the message center. There are some GM clusters that I really like, but I don't know how the wiring would be from Ford to GM. If it wouldn't be too difficult, I'd really like to use one from a S-10 or Blazer. Maybe someone could let me know what types of problems I may run into.
311323759_2333d0950b.jpg

or maybe from a Cutlass Supreme.
UB32.jpg

What are some thoughts/suggestions about this? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. One other thing, this project will be constructed from junk yard parts, so buying aftermarket isn't an option as they cost more money than I'm willing to spend.
Also, maybe a Moderator could move this to the appropriate forum.

That's going to be way to difficult for me. I'm really liking the S-10 cluster. I wonder how hard it would be to wire up (providing it could fit into the X's cluster housing)?

My thoughts- for ease of process, I would think heeping the same harnesses, etc- would be easiest with a Ford cluster, and you already know it is possible.

BTW- the cluster Jelloslug used is a Sable digicluster, it's just in his SHO...

I'd love to see you tackle this one- it would be a cool mod. Since the guy on Ranger Station has it in a Ranger, it's totally possible to put it into a first gen Ex... I would write him...

I am very interested in doing this mod. However, I'm having a little bit of a problem finding a late model digital Ford cluster, that has full gauges and tach (that's why I've been thinking that maybe a GM one could work). I will only do this mod if I can have all the gauges I have now (oil, temp, fuel, alt, and tach). So now I'm calling on all who read this. If you have, or come across a picture of a late model, Ford cluster with full instrumentation, and it's lit up, please post it, and tell me what it's out of.

just a thought ...has anyone thought about the speedometer hookup ??

... it's mechanical with no electronic hookup......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a thought ...has anyone thought about the speedometer hookup ??

... it's mechanical with no electronic hookup......

I would have to run a wire from the VSS, like the guy in the link that Joe Dirt posted.

More pricey but, try AIM's dash:

http://www.aimsports.com/

this project will be constructed from junk yard parts, so buying aftermarket isn't an option as they cost more money than I'm willing to spend.

Back