Digital Dash Swap? | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Digital Dash Swap?

WOW, 10,000 VIEWS. I never expected this to be such a popular thread. That must mean there is some others wanting to try this. I'm currently writing a "how to", that will have instructions on building a cluster to the point I'm at now, which is everything except the wiring. Once completed I will post it, and when the wiring is sorted out, I'll add that too. I couldn't have gotten this far without the suggestions from arco777 & NICE59FORDF100. Also, they're the ones that provided most if not all of the wiring diagrams. Of course there is also the inspiration thread link that JoeDirt provided in one of earliest posts. Thanks for the great comments everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I wonder why I haven't been getting my updates to this thread. Thank you Geoph for bringing about this thread! I am still waiting on a dremel, lol. But I did just get done installing a second gen console into my first gen, lol.

18139_601039066171_44013058_34611861_7086275_n.jpg

That console looks sweet! And factory!

Wow man that is an awesome job!
I wish I was keeping my 92 now LOL so many cool things I never thought of when I was driving it...

Does the computer work?

yes it does. Go back one or two pages on this thread. I have a pic of the message center working.
Posted via Mobile Device

NICE59,

Do you have a list of all parts needed from the donor for installing a GEN2 message center? If so, could you post a list, and maybe a wiring diagram pinout like you did for the Cougar to Explorer?

Also, I'm currently doing a "how to" write up for the digi-cluster, to the point I'm at now. Do you have or could you take pictures of the Cougar's indicator housing (the tan one, under the actual black plastic) with and without the indicator stickers on it? And any other pictures you have of the dis-assembly of the Cougar cluster? The earliest pictures I have are of the LCD's removed from the housing, and progress from there on.

Geoph, I would be more than happy to do that! In fact I have a thread somewhere on this thread promising a full write up on installing a second gen message center into a first gen, but I just haven't had time to write it, lol. But a short list, here is everthing you need:

The second gen console with rear steel bracket

The Message center.

As much wiring as you can get from the front of the center console square plug

A windshield washer fluid level sensor out of second gen

The three wire oil level/oil temp sensor from either 2nd gen motor.

An extra ECM pin wire to manually put into pin 34 on ECM

That's all you really need to make it work in a first gen. Took me about 8 hours to wire in everything but i also prewired my message center harness to install right in. So plan on taking a full day, maybe two to get it all working correctly. Trust me, it is worth it!

OH, and be forwarned, without modifying the dash or doing some fiberglass work, YOU WILL LOOSE ACCESS TO YOUR ASHTRAY/12V CIG LIGHTER!!!

The message center blocks it from opening, lol

Heres a pic of everything working and turned on:

18139_601442792101_44013058_34622075_3673305_n.jpg

and sure geoph, il try to get some pics of the cougar cluster for yea.

Thanks NICE59. I like your head unit. In fact, it looks a lot like the one in my Grand Am. Is it an Alpine IVA-D310?

EDIT:

NICE59,

How do you plan on using the Aerostar floor shifter with the full length console? Or is the floor shift a passing fancy? Do you know what type of linkage difference there is between the Aerostar and Explorer? I'm still going to be wanting a floor shifter of some kind, but I have a requirement for mods like this. Junk yard parts only, so no B&M or anything like that unless it's at the U-Pull.

The 2nd gen console looks awesome in the first gen nice work man.

Did any of you guys get your swap finished and installed yet? I'd love to see it if its done.

x2! I totally forgot about this

Yea, I got sidetracked. Mine is still sitting on my kitchen table, LOL. Geoph got his fitted to the explorer cluster. All he needs to do is wire it up and he should be good to go. I'm sure he'll chime in here :)

Other than the backlighting issues, this seems to be pretty straight forward. I'm thinking of doing it myself if I can find an extra explorer gauge cluster and a cougar cluster (it is dirty isn't it?) for a decent price.

I pretty much forgot about mine; kept putting off buying the EL panels I need. Got sidetracked by a Thunderbird and getting engaged :D

I take it you never solved your issues with the backlighting then?

Thanks! She loves the Explorer too :)

I think my solution is EL panels off ebay; there was a size available where 2 would be perfect for my application but they cost a little money so I kept putting them off and eventually forgot about the project. Might dive back into it again soon but who knows.

Hmm I'll have to look at the el panels. Geoph's solution looks to be a pita for me, as I don't have access to those kind of inverters

Laptop Mount

That's sweet. Did you use laptop or a SBC? You should post a pic sometime. I have a 9" Acer laptop that matches the exterior color and fits well with the blue interior, but until I find a way to get the laptop mount I want from the UK to here, it just perches on the center armrest when I need it.

I'm still in the middle of reading this whole post, but I wanted to jump in with a solution for your Acer computer mount. I built a mount for my Ranger out of PVC and some sort of wire rack from Wal-Mart. Probably cost me all of $15 bucks. It sits in the right cup holder, and is completely removable. My netbook sits on it all day long with no problems, plugged into my inverter. If anyone shows any interest, I could post some pics.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to show that you didn't have to wait for a mount from UK.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Broken links

Just read this thread from start to finish. VERY cool idea. I want this in my Ranger.

WHAT I REALLY WANT IS PICS THAT WORK!!!!!!

Your links to Photobucket are broken or moved. Care to restore them so we can see the (almost) finished product?

Back