• Register Today It's free!

Digital Speedometer

idesi1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I was wondering if there is a way to see the digital speed (miles displayed in digits) on the dashboard of the explorer?
I have Limited all options (except lane departure, guided cruise) but I am missing one thing which is very helpful for me in the past cars i.e. a digital display of the vehicle speed on the dashboard. I know the speedometer is there but its tends to miss out at times as I live in the school zone n anything above 20 make the cops wild. I have an Escape (2015) which has this feature.
I tried looking online and forums but no luck so if any of the experts have an idea please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if there is a way to see the digital speed (miles displayed in digits) on the dashboard of the explorer?
I have Limited all options (except lane departure, guided cruise) but I am missing one thing which is very helpful for me in the past cars i.e. a digital display of the vehicle speed on the dashboard. I know the speedometer is there but its tends to miss out at times as I live in the school zone n anything above 20 make the cops wild. I have an Escape (2015) which has this feature.
I tried looking online and forums but no luck so if any of the experts have an idea please advise.
Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, the only Explorer with a digital readout is the 2016 Platinum. I too have school zones in my area and have never found it an issue going by the OEM setup.

Peter

anybody knows the correct PID for ForScan to unlock the digital speedometer and the tire piktogram?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found the following post in the Forscan thread and juding by it, it doesn't look like you can bring up the display for the tire pressure. I also doubt that a pre 2016 model has the ability to show the digital speedometer. The 2016/17 models that do have a completely different cluster. New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Peter

I am actually curious about this as well my 15 piu has a digital speedometer. But my wife's 15 base doesn't was trying to figure out what codes may be different

I am actually curious about this as well my 15 piu has a digital speedometer. But my wife's 15 base doesn't was trying to figure out what codes may be different
did you find out the different?

Looking at both as built data they have different firmware I'll upload a picture later of them side by side

For the 2016 Explorer Platinum. Unfortunately, the 2016 firmware hides the digital speedometer when your turn on cruise control or lane keeping which sort of makes it useless if you use either of those functions. It is possible to flash the 2017 or 2018 firmware to the 2016 Platinum IPC cluster. I have done this on mine but don't recommend this unless you understand how and the risk involved.

UCDS Forum • Просмотр темы - Change IPC Firmware MKZ to Mondeo 5 - (Resolved)

This is 2018 firmware I flashed on my 2016 cluster.

2018 MY:
EJ7T-14C025-AA
JB5T-14C026-EA
JB5T-14C026-FA
JB5T-14C088-EA
JB5T-14C088-FA

2016 MY Firmware
IMG_7160.jpg

2017 MY Firmware - moves the digital speedometer to the center
IMG_7149.jpg

2018 MY Firmware - adds the thin blue gauge needles and updated(thicker) fuel gauge & temp gauge
IMG_7161.jpg

ahh, may the reason is, i have an other panel, the IPC 2 with speedo in the middle

How to show up digital speedometer on 2015 ford explorer limited?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are no settings in the 2015 models to set up the digital speedometer. You may be able to do it using Forscan, a tool the allows you to modify factory programming.

Peter

Hav tried to do it

Hav tried to do it
Perhaps the pre 2016 models do not have the capability to display it. It likely requires a different instrument cluster.

Peter

Perhaps the pre 2016 models do not have the capability to display it. It likely requires a different instrument cluster.

Peter
Put the car in engineering mode by pressing right okay button for like 10 seconds and while holding press start button. Thumb down 7 times and will display speed in digital.

Put the car in engineering mode by pressing right okay button for like 10 seconds and while holding press start button. Thumb down 7 times and will display speed in digital.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for the info. It may help some members but most of those in this thread haven't been around for 1 - 4 years.

Peter

Back