and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

disable anti-theft tsystem

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Sarajevo, May 8, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sarajevo

Sarajevo New Member

Year and Model:
      2001 Ford Explorer E.B.
      My 2001 explorer eddie bauer is having some issues. Sometimes the key will not turn in the ignition. It just gets stuck. Other times the key will turn and so will the starter. But at the same time there is no ignition. This is clearly the antitheft system malfunctioning. How do i disable the system permanently so that i can install a non-coded ignition key cylinder (switch)? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      If the key won't sometimes turn then its not really the anti-theft. The PATS will just prevent the engine from getting fuel/spark if a coded key isn't recognized in the ignition. Could the actual ignition switch itself. You could try some graphite in the ignition and see if that helps. You could also try spraying the ignition with wd-40 or similar with the red straw until stuff starts flowing out of the ignition. Once thats dry, put some graphite or tri-flow in there. The idea of using graphite or tri-flow is to use something dry that won't gunk up in the column.

4. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boonton, New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      1998 XLT
      The anti theft system has nothing to do with your key not turning.
      What is the theft light doing when a crank with no start condition exists?

5. deweyville65

deweyville65 Active Member

City, State:
      Dewey,Az
      Year and Model:
      96 EXPLORER XLT
      Isn't graphite an electrical conductor? I'm not sure I would want to spray it in the ignition switch.