Hands-Free tailgate issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hands-Free tailgate issues

so the vehicle settings menu item that says power liftgate doesn't turn it off.

seems like un checking that would turn off the button on the dash, the foot swipe, and possibly even the fob?
If I remember correctly, disabling the power liftgate just disables the switch on the dash in pre 2016 models. The fob would still open it. This was discussed a few years ago by a member who was concerned about the liftgate accidently opening while he had the vehicle hooked up to tow.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so the vehicle settings menu item that says power liftgate doesn't turn it off.

seems like un checking that would turn off the button on the dash, the foot swipe, and possibly even the fob?

It disables the button on the dash and the button on the liftgate itself, however the swip still activates it.

3 times so far I've had my 2016 Ex Sport tailgate open as I walked between the rear of it and another car in a parking lot. Thankfully I was not to close the the car behind where the tailgate would hit it and also that I noticed it so I didn't walk away and leave it open. I love this SUV but some of these issues are just not cool.

3 times so far I've had my 2016 Ex Sport tailgate open as I walked between the rear of it and another car in a parking lot. Thankfully I was not to close the the car behind where the tailgate would hit it and also that I noticed it so I didn't walk away and leave it open. I love this SUV but some of these issues are just not cool.
My wife helped someone chase their dog around the WalMart parking lot because it escaped from an Ex when the owner left it unattended in the fire lane (serves them right, I say) and another shopper walking past the rear activated the liftgate.

You got your hands too full of stuff to press a button, so this system requires you to balance on one foot, and wave the other about in front of you in some kind of weird Hokey-Pokey/field sobriety test mash-up. :crazy:

Kind of a silly feature IMHO. Glad my Ex doesn't have it.

..........You got your hands too full of stuff to press a button, so this system requires you to balance on one foot, and wave the other about in front of you in some kind of weird Hokey-Pokey/field sobriety test mash-up. :crazy:

Kind of a silly feature IMHO. Glad my Ex doesn't have it.
It really doesn't require any more "balancing" than walking. Like walking you just put one foot ahead of the other but in this case your final step should end up moving forward under the bumper and then back to a standing position.;)
I suspect that if the 'gate' opens by simply walking by it that there may be an issue with the sensor alignment since it would not be normal.

Peter

It really doesn't require any more "balancing" than walking. Like walking you just put one foot ahead of the other but in this case your final step should end up moving forward under the bumper and then back to a standing position.;)
I suspect that if the 'gate' opens by simply walking by it that there may be an issue with the sensor alignment since it would not be normal.

Peter
Then you immediately have to step back, lest the liftgate knock the double grande half-caff soy caramel extra foam macchiato out of your hands.

You put your right foot in
You put your right foot out...

Further proof that it is laziness, and not necessity, that is the mother of invention. ;)

Is there anyway you can turn off foot activated lift gate in the 2017 explorer. Walked behind mine and went up and hit garage door accidentally.

Is there anyway you can turn off foot activated lift gate in the 2017 explorer. Walked behind mine and went up and hit garage door accidentally.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found this thread using the handy 'Search' feature (top right corner) and merged yours with it. Looking through the thread quickly it seems the feature cannot be disabled. Also the Manual only shows that you can disable the switch. In regards to the liftgate hitting the garage door, have you set the opening height? I set mine in the 2011 I had and it stops before it hits the door. Page 64 of your Owner's Manual. You do have to keep in mind that the 'gate' doesn't fully open when you are not in the garage so watch your head. There is a lot of good info in that Manual and that is where I get most of the answers to the questions posed here.;)
BTW, although others have had the same problem, the liftgate should not open merely by walking by it.
Assuming you still have the Mustang, please add the 2017 + trim level, to a signature so members know what you have without having to post it each time. Thanks.

Peter

I know you have a 17 however you may wish to speak with your service dept about this....

TSB 16-0102
HANDS-FREE LIFTGATE - WITHOUT TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE - LIFTGATE OPENS WHEN WALKING NEXT TO THE REAR BUMPER
Publication Date: August 2, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer
ISSUE:
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles equipped with the hands-free power liftgate and without trailer tow package may exhibit a liftgate that opens while walking next to the rear bumper. This may be due to the software sensitivity in the hands-free liftgate actuation module.

Thanks for posting Jason. Have added it to the TSB thread,

Peter

Is it possible to disable the feature that allows you to swipe your foot underneath the vehicle to open the tailgate?

We back ours into our garage and it frequently opens just by walking past it.

It's quite annoying.

Thanks,
Mine opened as my automatic garage door was opening. It seems the motion of the garage door caused the liftgate to open. The bottom edge of the lift gate got jammed against the garage door and was bent. Cost me $1,000 to get repaired at a body shop. Twice it closed on people who were removing things from the cargo area & hit them on the head. It takes a lot of pressure to push against the liftgate to make it stop closing.

Mine opened as my automatic garage door was opening. It seems the motion of the garage door caused the liftgate to open. The bottom edge of the lift gate got jammed against the garage door and was bent. Cost me $1,000 to get repaired at a body shop. Twice it closed on people who were removing things from the cargo area & hit them on the head. It takes a lot of pressure to push against the liftgate to make it stop closing.
Since there is a TSB on this issue perhaps Ford may do something to help out with the damage repair. You never know until you ask.

Peter

Since there is a TSB on this issue perhaps Ford may do something to help out with the damage repair. You never know until you ask.

Peter
What is a TSB? As some have suggested, I tried the "disable" lift gate that is on the "settings" section on the instrument panel (left side), but it also disables the switch on the lift gate. So, I unplugged the "hot" wires to the sensor module that is in the bumper. That disengaged the hands free sensor only, which is what I was trying to achieve. BTW, my friends were very upset to be hit in the head by the lift gate when it closed on them.

What is a TSB? As some have suggested, I tried the "disable" lift gate that is on the "settings" section on the instrument panel (left side), but it also disables the switch on the lift gate. So, I unplugged the "hot" wires to the sensor module that is in the bumper. That disengaged the hands free sensor only, which is what I was trying to achieve. BTW, my friends were very upset to be hit in the head by the lift gate when it closed on them.
Technical Services Bulletin. Issued by Ford to correct a known issue.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3561782
Take it to the dealer.

Peter

couldn't you just find the sensor and unplug it or cut the wire?

Technical Services Bulletin. Issued by Ford to correct a known issue.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3561782
Take it to the dealer.

Peter
Thanks for the info. BTW I have the towing package on this vehicle.
That's what I did

Why not just get it fixed? Seems a drastic measure for a feature on a new vehicle and possibly for a feature that was desired.
BTW, there are 2 sensors that make up the system. Not just one.

Peter

Thanks for the info. BTW I have the towing package on this vehicle.

That's what I did
I would take it in anyway if the problem is the same as for the non tow models since it is not functioning the way it was designed. If enough reports are filed by the dealer perhaps the coverage will be extended.

Peter

Why not just get it fixed? Seems a drastic measure for a feature on a new vehicle and possibly for a feature that was desired.
BTW, there are 2 sensors that make up the system. Not just one.

Peter
I was able to find some info on the internet as to how the system works. I found the "module" under the bumper where the ends of the sensor wire plug in & where the wire that connects to the system plugs in. I just unplugged this one & the motion activated sensor stopped working. Every other switch still works to open & close the liftgate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take it in anyway if the problem is the same as for the non tow models since it is not functioning the way it was designed. If enough reports are filed by the dealer perhaps the coverage will be extended.

Peter
I plan to do this when I bring in the vehicle for maintenance service.

Back