DIY: Front License Plate Bracket Removal! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY: Front License Plate Bracket Removal!

yes I chose the Explorer. And I´m happy with it. There are so many BMWs, Audis and Mercedes around but I have a pretty exclusive car here. As far as I know know there are just 15 -20 2011+Explorers here in Germany. And there´s nothing bad on BMWs of course, but hey, they removed the speed limiter so even the Explorer goes up to 135 mphs. That´s pretty much as fast as the BMWs :)

so, I´m happy with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I usually wait a week or so before tearing into a brand new car, but this one was so easy I just had to do it quick! Just took delivery of my new '13 XLT on Thursday, already pulled the plate bracket today. Thanks for the idea.
Dsc_0168_small.jpg

Does anyone know if the front license plate is installed from the factory or at the dealer? I had a Sport ordered and told the dealer not to install it and there is one on it. The dealer is now saying the factory did it.

Mine came from the Factory with it on.

Does anyone know if the front license plate is installed from the factory or at the dealer? I had a Sport ordered and told the dealer not to install it and there is one on it. The dealer is now saying the factory did it.

The factory. I had my salesman put in my order "no front plate holder" and it came in without it.

Thanks Bubz! After reading your instructions and all of the positive feedback, I jumped right in on removing the bracket on my week old Explorer, and created an account here on the forums!

Thinking about taking mine off my ST use the holes as mound spots for my lightbar brackets

I will be trying this myself tomorrow on my 2013. I have to admit that until I saw this thread I was baffled about how to get this thing off. Fortunately, I live in a 1 platee state, Florida.

Thanks for your service Sarge, in more ways than one.

Well, that took all of about a minute and a half, and the appearance of the front end of my 2013 Limited is 100 percent better. The vehicle has only been in service for 10 days or so, so no scratches either.

Thanks BUBZ for the tip and for your service.

Good straightforward writeup. Got a 2013 last night and used your instructions to remove the ugly plastic piece this morning. Shore makes a difference.

Dealer should do it for you if you ask. When we got the Sport it had a bracket on it. I told them to have it removed, detailed, waxed, full of 93 octane, and remove their logo on it before I would sign the papers. By the time they had us all set up to take delivery it was gone. We did take it back for detail and waxing though.

Picked up mine today. It can't believe how big the bracket is compared to the actual plate. A lot of excess bulk and ugly plastic. I'm in CT, so it's necessary. I wish Ford made a smaller one. I may take it off, mask it down the middle and paint the top half silver (my body color) to try and disguise it.

Picked up mine today. It can't believe how big the bracket is compared to the actual plate. A lot of excess bulk and ugly plastic. I'm in CT, so it's necessary. I wish Ford made a smaller one. I may take it off, mask it down the middle and paint the top half silver (my body color) to try and disguise it.

Instead of doing that, how about taking it off and cutting down the size so it sits behind the plate instead of around the plate?

Instead of doing that, how about taking it off and cutting down the size so it sits behind the plate instead of around the plate?

I'll take a look when I have it off to see if that can work. Good idea. Thanks

For me its required to have a front plate, also - its not the aspect of being pulled over that is so much a problem - its parking.

Meter maids in the city carry scanners and scan the reg sticker and any other barcode on the car(like a resident sticker w/ barcode, etc) - if they ticket for parking, they can keep right on going and ticket for whatever else they see or shows on the scanner - reg issues, unpaid tickets, and missing plates.

...but the paint is scratched along the top edge, and on a black Ex looks horrible.

Besides a gasket is there some way to change this out?
Can the plate be be accessed behind the cowl & bolted with thin or nylon nuts/bolts?
A gasket of some type is the only thing that would really help this.

I dont like the idea of riveting anything again in the same holes or next to them - its loose anyway and that wont work out for the long run.

Thx

Great instructional write up. I did this on the first day of owning my sport. Thanks again.

Great tutorial!

Thanks for the tutorial. It only took me a couple minutes to get the bracket off. My explorer looks so much better without that big license plate bracket.

New 2014 Explorer and would like to know how to remove front license plate holder?

Hi, just purchased a 2014 Ex. XLT and here in Arizona we don't have front license plates, so I would like to know how to remove off the front? Thanks, Jeff

Hi, just purchased a 2014 Ex. XLT and here in Arizona we don't have front license plates, so I would like to know how to remove off the front? Thanks, Jeff
Welcome to the Forum Jeff N Phx.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this thread that should help you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just drilled it out, thanks for directing me here. Arizona don't require the plate in the front, so this had to go. Just have to get panel retainers now, but glad that ugly plate frame is gone. Thanks again.

Back