DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY How to install a Remote Start Alarm Keyless entry System on a Explorer 1992

I thought the hood wires were necessary for the alarm speaker. So the hood light were just for if someone tried pry open the hood?

Hopefully, this clarifies it.... There is one called "hood wire" and another one "siren wire"... both wires should go into the engine bay.

Siren-wire connects to the + wire on the siren, which should be placed in the engine bay. And this wire makes the siren go WoooooohhhWoooohhh! :D with any of the different triggers. - Necessary if you want the siren to make sounds

The hood-wire is another one, and has two functions:
  1. Yes, one is to trigger alarm is someone pries the hood open.
  2. Another, to prevent the remote start feature to kick in accidentally if you are working in the car... of course with the hood open.

Not really necessary.... for the rest of the system to function. (you wont have the above 2 features if you don't connect it though)

I hope that helps!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What does the siren make again? :D

Well, I don't really want the engine to kick on when working on it. I guess I will grab a hood pin eventually. Looks like my alarm shipped and 2-3 day priority. Hopefully it will get here Friday or Saturday.

Do I have to feed the siren wire through the firewall or something?

:biggthump Thank you, I also see that the hood pin info was added :D

WoooooohhhWoooohhh! LMFAO... That pin looks to me to have only one wire connection ? How does that pin work ? When up ground ? Or ?

That pin looks to me to have only one wire connection ? How does that pin work ? When up ground ? Or ?

Yes... when pin up => ground. That's just what's needed.
If you look a the diagram in the writeup... you can see on harness 8P: "Grey (-) Hood pin switch input"

WoooooohhhWoooohhh! LMFAO...

what's so funny?... doesn't it sound like that... :D lol

Well that would work for my aftermarket light also.. Oh yea I forgot to tell everyone I added a screamer siren on the inside. My H$#@ it will make your ears bleed. Break in and try to cut my wires with that in your face. lol..

yea I have a siren from a home alarm its biger and WAY louder the stock one isn't that loud but im thinking of mounting it someone under the bacl of my truck so I can have two.windows modules will be here next week so friday I should have them hooked up
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes... when pin up => ground. That's just what's needed.
If you look a the diagram in the writeup... you can see on harness 8P: "Grey (-) Hood pin switch input"

what's so funny?... doesn't it sound like that... :D lol
haha mine sounds more like eerr err errr haha;)
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, so my alarm will be here tomorrow and I will be working. I won't be able to install it until Tuesday. I picked up a few parts today and I didn't know how many exactly I needed for the Snap Connectors, but I got 15 of them.

Feel free to use this picture for the guide.
2wghugx.jpg

You look golden. Maybe a hood pin and thats it. You dont need the hood pin to make it all work,.

I picked up a few parts today and I didn't know how many exactly I needed for the Snap Connectors, but I got 15 of them.

Yup... you should be good to go. I think I used only 4 pairs of the snap connectors (for the doors lock/unlock only) But having extra is always good.
EDIT: I think I used about 5 of the 10ga "squeeze-connectors"... I see only 4 on your pic... you might need more.

Thanks for the pic.... I'll link it soon.

Maybe a hood pin and thats it.

I ordered this hood pin switch from ebay... should be here soon. I'll update the guide also on directions on how/where to install it...

Wow, didn't realize the hood pin was only $2.98! I just bought it today so it should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

hey dllb did you get to those windows yet?i got my modules in today but just my luck my rear window started acting up and now has stopped working so i got to fix it first or else the module is just going to keep trying to roll it up because there is not load to stop it!!my question is if the driver side window wires are going to be in that group of wires where the unlock and lock wires are (at also the rest of the windows wires are) or if we are going to have to pull some wire into the door to get the the driver window wires?i know the rest are there and hope they are to

my question is if the driver side window wires are going to be in that group of wires where the unlock and lock wires are (at also the rest of the windows wires are) or if we are going to have to pull some wire into the door to get the the driver window wires?i know the rest are there and hope they are to

My guess is that the window wire for the driver door is going to be inside the door only... why would it go outside, and then back in... but that's just my 2c.. :p:

Please do post wire color codes need when you know... Keep up the good work guys!

I have not had a chance yet. The wire colors are on the diagram on first post pachakutek, lol... All the wires are going to be either in the kick panel or the drivers door, not sure yet. Oh yea if any one needs a pin, let me know I have a few. Like 40. lol.. Dont ask, it was just a better deal and I am going to use this same alarm on my garage.

I have not had a chance yet. The wire colors are on the diagram on first post pachakutek, lol...

Yes... the info about the window wires is from the 12volt.com ... but honestly, I couldn't find them.... so if you get the windows to work, please re-post the wire colors and their locations.... just to be on the safe side... ;)

Oh yea if any one needs a pin, let me know I have a few. Like 40. lol.. Dont ask, it was just a better deal and I am going to use this same alarm on my garage.

40 switches!! :eek: .... I already order mine.... Thanks for the offer though!
I actually went to like 4 different auto parts stores.... and no one carried them... thats why I ordered it online

Help! I am about half way through the installation. I ran into a few issues. First, I don't know which wire to connect the neutral one to. I tested with the key in ON position and out gear since it is a 5 speed manual.

Also, exactly do I run a wire from the car battery? Type of cable? etc.

Help! I am about half way through the installation. I ran into a few issues. First, I don't know which wire to connect the neutral one to. I tested with the key in ON position and out gear since it is a 5 speed manual.

well.... yes a manual trans will need to treated carefully. I don't think there is a "Neutral" wire. It's possible though. I read in another forum (the12volt?... other car) about people hooking this wire to the e-brake wire.... others installing some sort of pin switch to the shift stick, similar to the one used for the hood.... do google search on "remote start manual transmission".... sorry I can't help you more there

Also, exactly do I run a wire from the car battery? Type of cable? etc.

I think I used this for the + on the door wires.... The wire was a 14ga.

There are wires with + already in there (like Yellow), but I thought it will be more appropriate to use one directly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying that I cannot use the 12v yellow wire?

Back