Do all 5.0 explorers have a fender mounted solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do all 5.0 explorers have a fender mounted solenoid?

tcruarceri

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt awd 5.0
trying to troubleshoot some starting issues, car has newer battery and the terminal ends seem to be in fine shape, but cannot find a fender mounted solenoid... I know ford started phasing them out at this point but see posts saying it should be along the driver side fender after the battery but there is none there and not much room with the abs unit and distribution box... any help appreciated. No rapid flashing theft light to make me think its the key...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 302 Explorers don't have a starter solenoid on the fender, nor do the SOHC 4.0s. I'm not sure when Ford changed the starting system for each motor etc.

Check the cables the most, at 20 years old, poor cranking will likely be corrosion in the cables, unseen. None of them are available any longer, so take great care of what you have or can find. The battery power goes to the starter, and the trigger wire runs along the battery cable also to the starter. That trigger wire used to be(old Mustangs etc) attached with a spade terminal, check that connection carefully for looseness etc. The ring terminals are far better, I think all 302 Explorers have those.

What kind of cranking do you get, anything at all? If nothing, then the theft system you wonder about. Surely you have some kind of click or noise yes?

First thing I'd do is replace the ground cables. It fixed my starting issue on a 2000 mountaineer I had.

Relay in the distribution box clicks, still doesn’t start with a jump. I’ve never had a terminal connection/old cable that still didn’t take a jump but I guess it could be. Was going to try jumping directly at the starter but it was tight quarters. Don’t have a real voltage tester but the jump box says 12v at the battery

I've had one car, not start with jumping the battery, and it was my 91 Lincoln(302 HO), with bad battery cables.

I had been fighting the terminal ends, cleaning them often(it would not start, and I'd clean the terminals, and then it would start). After about 3-4 months of that, it finally wasn't getting enough juice through the cables. The power cable was only a few years old, custom made with 00 battery cable. I replaced it all with a spare used 302 Explorer wire set, both power and ground. That fixed it, and now I wish I had several more of those unavailable cables.

You can buy a new ground cable rather easily from a parts store. The power cable is a bit different, with a second cable going to the PDB terminal I believe.

and now I wish I had several more of those unavailable cables.

TAH-DAH!

Buy-It-Now for $45

NEW 1996-1997 Ford Explorer 5.0L Negative Battery Cable OEM Motorcraft WC-9399 | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Hmm. So my best bet would be trying to jump at the starter to end the debate of whether it is the starter mounted solenoid or the wiring and work from there? If I am going through this trouble a) does the explorer have the same stupid through the light switch headlights everyone upgrades on the older fords? Might be worth adding relays... Do any of the battery leads go to the alternator. I have some welding cable gauge cable left over from my mustang and Baja bug getting batteries moved about and cable ends, might be able to use what I have... PITA... supposed to be the winter beater so the mustang and Baja can get some tlc.

Thanks for fueling the money pit.

Now you have the hang of this, well done. We need to keep ahead of the wear and tear of old age for car parts. It's far easier to stay ahead of problems than to wait for them and scramble to find the cure. I spend quite a bit on maintenance items, but way less than catastrophic repair costs. That's the only magic I know, replace things when I think they're too old, or I don't know how old they are(just bought my 98 truck last year). Night,

Back