Do I need a transmission cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a transmission cooler?

2017 Explorer XLT w Class III package. (5000 lb max). Will be pulling a 18 foot RV dry weight 2960 so figure 3600 loaded. Pretty sure oil cooler installed but concerned about transmission specially on steeper terrain. Thoughts and suggestions welcome/appreciated.
Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A transmission cooler is always a good idea for towing, and is cheap insurance. Well worth the $50 and lazy afternoon of wrenching.

A transmission cooler is always a good idea for towing, and is cheap insurance. Well worth the $50 and lazy afternoon of wrenching.

As always stay out of OD when towing and take it easy up steep grades.

Where do you buy and who installs? Not in my skill set

You can get them on eBay, Amazon, or any auto store. I’d call an independent mechanic or a transmission/driveline shop. It’s fairly basic, and anyone who works on cars should be able to safely install one.

If you have the Class 3 towing package, you have all the cooling you need. Make sure you get a good trailer brake controller (I recommend Tekonsha P2 or P3), to operate the trailer brakes. Your Explorer has enough cooling for the full combined weight, but it does not have enough brakes.

Back