do I turn a right hand thread to the left to remove? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

do I turn a right hand thread to the left to remove?

biggiesize

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
Im changing the fan clutch on my 4.0 sohc.Every search I found came up with answers that were either conflicting or beating around the bush.So since mine says "right hand thread" on the fan shroud,if I am standing in front of the ex,looking down at the fan clutch nut,Do I turn a right hand thread nut to the left or right to remove it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For a visual answer look at the threads on your new one.

Changing water pump on my 3.0 l v6 ford ranger. It says LH threads for the clutch fan shaft. Does that mean I haft to turn it clock wise to loosen it and take it off. On the fan shroudnot the shaft. Sorry

LH thread, turn to the right to loosen.

helpful hint, when the engine is running the pulley will screw itself into the fan. to remove the fan turn it in the same direction of normal rotation.
that works with either lefties or righties. whether the threads are left or right is the result of the belt being routed over or under the pulley, not the actual engine rotation .

helpful hint, when the engine is running the pulley will screw itself into the fan. to remove the fan turn it in the same direction of normal rotation.
that works with either lefties or righties. whether the threads are left or right is the result of the belt being routed over or under the pulley, not the actual engine rotation .
Thank you for that explanation, very important point regarding belt routing.

Back