Do the heads commonly crack when these things blow a headgasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do the heads commonly crack when these things blow a headgasket?

SportTracMike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac
I have oil in my coolant, so I'm guessing the headgasket is blown.The truck idles fine and blows hot air the temp gauge reads low but I think the sensor is gummed with oil skewing the reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOHC?

No, not on the SOHC, but aluminum heads typically warp. If so this can cause cam problems too. Are you sure it's not trans fluid in the coolant?

It's a little odd to have a blown head gasket getting oil in the coolant. I dealt with a friend's leaking head gasket last year. His SOHC was leaking exhaust into the cooling system. I think that and coolant in the oil would be a more common scenario.

I've seen this 2 times in a 4.0 sohc. A freeze plug leak on a cylinder head under the valve cover is most likely leaking.

It was almost impossible to tell where the leak was in both of my cases. The machine shop found the first one (I had also thought bad HG) and I found the 2nd one with the valve cover off and a pressure tester pumped up to 16-18 psi to get it to squirt out.

The location of the freeze plug depends on work needed. There are 3 like 1" diameter plugs that run under the cam.

It was almost impossible to tell where the leak was in both of my cases. The machine shop found the first one (I had also thought bad HG) and I found the 2nd one with the valve cover off and a pressure tester pumped up to 16-18 psi to get it to squirt out.

The location of the freeze plug depends on work needed. There are 3 like 1" diameter plugs that run under the cam.
Sounds like I'll need to buy a pressure tester

I'm having someone check the coolant with the engine running in the next few days for bubbles, I have my fingers crossed I don't have to tear it down and do head gaskets.

This would be a lot easier if I weren't away for work.

If there are no bubbles I'll order a coolant system pressure testing kit, and if there are bubbles then head gaskets it is.

The oil looked perfect though no froth or diarrhea color, so im hoping its those freeze plugs

Have you checked your transmission fluid also? I've seen cross contamination in the radiator before.

If you had the freeze plug issue you would have coolant in the oil also.

Have you checked your transmission fluid also? I've seen cross contamination in the radiator before.

If you had the freeze plug issue you would have coolant in the oil also.

I mentioned the possibility of it being trans fluid in post #3. Didn't get an answer.

I mentioned the possibility of it being trans fluid in post #3. Didn't get an answer.
It doesn't have that frothy milkshake appearance trans fluid mixed with coolant has and the trans shifts fine.I had the cooler on an 01 explorer rupture and it took out the headgasket and transmission pretty quickly filling the trans with coolant.

So there are no bubbles with the engine running and rad cap off im hoping its one of those freeze plugs.

Do you remember the part number for the plugs rockauto is giving me 2 different ones that are very close in size.

I honestly wouldn't think it's the freeze plugs since you don't have coolant in the oil. I'd keep a close eye on your transmission fluid

A little update now that im home again, looking at the coolant it looks like someone mixed 2 coolants and it turned that rusty red color, its not thick or frothy.Now i just need to flush it and refill witu some green stuff.

Im thinking last time i checked there was moisture builup on the rad cap that made me think the worst.

Back