• Register Today It's free!

Do they make a 2 inch body lift??

WannaXP8

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I was thinking maybe I should do a body lift too, but I dont think I wanna do the 3 inch one..do they make a 2 inch??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 inch body lift

Wanna,
I went with the two inch body lift on mine just because of the problems I've heard that come with the 3 inch lift (steering bind, wiring harnesses, bumper relocation ect...).
I had no problems with my lift and am about to install one on my wife's explorer (a 95 Limited). Good luck with your lift! If you have questions, let mee know.

Just go with the 3", there are lots of us running it and I have yet to hear of anyone having any kind of problems with it. I originally went with the 2" and really regret it. I basically wasted $90 on the 2" kit. You have to have front bumper brackets made with the 2", but they come with the 3" along with everything you need, including the steering extention. The 3" is not hard to install at all and you have to do the same things as with the 2", so why not just jack the Explorer up an extra inch? You may have to reuse some of the stock bolts with the 3" lift, or buy a couple replacement ones, but that is no big deal.

Performance Accessories produces two kits, one for 95-97's and one for 98-01's. The main difference with these kits is the steering extension and bumper brackets. The 98-01 kit will work on ALL 95-01 Explorers with the exception of the steering extension on 95-97's. Here's the catch, you need the steering extension from the 95-97 kit for 95-97's, but the 95-97 kit does not have the correct bumper lift brackets so after a few hit and misses we found it easier to order the 98-01 kit and then specify that you need the 95-97 extension. When purchasing your body-lift kit, order the 98-00 kit #883. If you have a 95-97, make sure you exchange the 98-00 steering extension for the 95-97 extension. The extensions are very different and cannot be interchanged so make sure you specify which one you need.

I agree with SplashMan, I have found that no matter what you think you want you should go for the next level, no matter what it is. That way you don't feel like you Half Assed it!

I have a 98, so what parts do I need?? I was reading all that from Splashman, and my head started to spin...lol

3" vs. 2"

After getting my 2" body lift installed, I noticed greater body roll both on-street and off-road. A 4 wheeling buddy who has a CJ told me that he isn't a big fan of his 3" body lift for the reason that his rig isn't very stable with it. He hasn't rolled it, but he's very aware of his own limitations.

I'm satisfied with my 2" body lift. I'd say, I got my money's worth. That's my 2 cents worth...

Appearance w/Body Lift

Here's a picture of my Ranger w/a 2" Body lift. You'll notice that the bumper isn't flush with the body. That's because I've had problems fitting the bumper just right, so, I took it in, and a mechanic had the same problem as well. It's good to see they got this right for the Explorer Body lift kit.

Also, there's not too great a gap in the rear fenderwell. Some people asked why I don't have gap guards, and I told them, I don't need them. They're purely cosmetic, and nothing more.

For the rear bumper, I bought a Smittybuilt, and it allows for you to "flip" it up in the back, and with the optional diamond-plate fill-plate, everything looks nice and flush - like a custom job was performed. From the back, you cannot tell I have a body lift. The radius arms & crossmember is more easily spied by curious commuters, and for some strange reason, its easier to get into your engine compartment!

Here's my Ranger...
CRW_1083.jpg

2 inch body lift

Ken,

I too am MORE than satisfied with my 2 inch body lift. I don't feel like I "half assed it" by not putting on the 3 inch lift. I'm happy with the results and I'm sure you are too. Your truck looks great!

Back