Do you wear a seatbelt? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters
i wear mine! always have, and always will:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wear a seatbelt every time I get I get in my vehicle or anyone else's. However, I don't believe there should be a law regulating an adults use of a seatbelt, or a motorcycle helmet.

i usually don't wear a seatbelt, but i do every once in a while (it's the law here - click it or ticket). i also don't own or wear a helmet when i'm riding (no helmet lw for motorycles here).

Not being buckled up saved my life a few years back when i got thrown to the pass. side of the car is a really bad wreck. If i had been buckled up, my head would've been crushed.

**Graphic description**

Here in CA, as said earlier, es la ley, it's the law. The problem we still have is mothers carrying their babies in the front seats on their laps. Crash, and they are left with an unrecognizable blob of blood, bone, brain matter and guts all over the dash and the mother.

Helmets, for bikers, legal and should stay that way. It's hard seeing brain matter in the street after a crash. Back in the day, they used to ride bikes with no shirt, no helmet...

After being in my accident last month, in which I was wearing my belt, it always stays on now. Even though that accident wasn't bad and didn't feel like my life was really in any danger, I am glad I still had it on. I do not force people to wear their seat belts though, unless it makes that annoying beep that won't stop.

I always put mine on :thumbsup:

Helmets, for bikers, legal and should stay that way. It's hard seeing brain matter in the street after a crash. Back in the day, they used to ride bikes with no shirt, no helmet...

That's where I disagree and why i love living in ky. We live in America, not communist soviet russia & i don't believe it's anyone's place but mine to say whether i wear a helmet on my motorcycle or not. There should not be a law governing my choice of stupidity concerning the safety of my own head.

In ky, you have to wear a lid unless you have your motorcycle license and medical insurance.

The Ex has 5 point harnesses plus the stock seat belts. I use the stock ones on road for DOT approved puposes, the lap belt portion of the 5 point for off-road, and I fully strap the 5 point when I say, "Watch this"!

Texas requires seatbelts for all occupants in the front seats and the rear seats are at the passengers discretion.

I wear mine all the time unless I'm riding in a car that has no seatbelts. One of my friends has a '71 Chevelle convertible and it just has lap belts in the front and never had belts in the back for some reason. it's kind of weird to get in there and just have the lap belt, knowing if you get in trouble, the car will not do much to help protect you, you will wind up eating dash. the back seat you just better hope that the seatback is strong enough to deal with the forces involved.

My college roommate had a '76 C-10 that just had lap belts also, we got stopped one time because the officer thought we didn't have our seat belts on.

the drivers seat belt buckle broke on my X and it was a tad weird to drive it with no belt to get a new buckle.

It is the law here as well. I never wear one in my own vehicles. If I am in someone elses vehicle and they want me to wear it i will.

I, too, dislike being told whats best for me.

always... no questions!

I hardly ever wear a seatbelt, i choose depends as my answer because if i see a cop car behind me or one who goes past me and they look at me, i usually put in on then... :)

If i travel out of town i usually wear it, but in town i hardly ever = not very much = 9/10 i don't.

Always wear the helmet when riding too. Saved me when I crashed wand was skidding on the road face first. It was dark and I can still remember seeing the pavement flying by.

My 4 year old is alway her child seat with her 5 point belt on. I make everyone wear their seatbelt when in my truck, even in back.

Still America...

That's where I disagree and why i love living in ky. We live in America, not communist soviet russia & i don't believe it's anyone's place but mine to say whether i wear a helmet on my motorcycle or not. There should not be a law governing my choice of stupidity concerning the safety of my own head.

In ky, you have to wear a lid unless you have your motorcycle license and medical insurance.

In CA if you want to ride a bike, you need to wear a helmet. That doesn't equate to living under communism or the former U.S.S.R. I'm quite pleased that a helmet is required here because 9 of 10 crashes between bike and car, driver is responsible... so, the state says bikers need to take extra precautions. We have some rather silly laws in CA, this is not one. When bikes are outlawed or required to have 3 wheels... then, okay, closer to the former U.S.S.R. than America, but still America. (I believe insurance companies lobbied the state for change to wearing helmets for bikers - after a crash, it's easier to pay medical bills than pay out death/wrongful death awards)

In CA if you want to ride a bike, you need to wear a helmet. That doesn't equate to living under communism or the former U.S.S.R. I'm quite pleased that a helmet is required here because 9 of 10 crashes between bike and car, driver is responsible... so, the state says bikers need to take extra precautions. We have some rather silly laws in CA, this is not one. When bikes are outlawed or required to have 3 wheels... then, okay, closer to the former U.S.S.R. than America, but still America. (I believe insurance companies lobbied the state for change to wearing helmets for bikers - after a crash, it's easier to pay medical bills than pay out death/wrongful death awards)

now i firmly believe not wearing a lid is stupid - don't get me wrong. but my not wearing of my helmet is not going to affect anyone but me. if it somehow affected the safety of other drivers, then i can understand, but...it doesn't.

it is no ones right, but mine to determine how safe i want to be - what's next? will it be against the law to NOT have the rubber flowers on your shower floor? Do you understand where i'm coming from?

anyone who has been riding for a long time will tell you helmet or not, most times in a major collision the rider WILL die. I've seen it first hand, the rider's was crushed inside of his helmet. I also had a friend lay his bike down at high speeds w/ no lid and walked away with only some scratches.

I personally think you have a greater chance of wrecking when wearing one as they are bulky, heavy, and restrict the EXTREMELY important view you have compared to not wearing one. But that's just my personal experience.

is flying gonna be against the law, because if you crash you might die?
or what if they make it illegal to smoke in your house because you dog might get cancer from second hand smoke?
what if it's against the law to have a radio in your vehicle because it can distract you and cause a wreck?

this is what i meant by soviet russia, it seems to me like they're trying to govern every part of our life, so i ask...what's next?

ha!

"...will it be against the law to NOT have the rubber flowers on your shower floor?"

I think here we have to have some type of gripping on the floor... it may already be law :D

The only people that live here that don't follow laws are the politicos that make them - not all of them - but I think Arnold got busted a few years back on his bike w/o helmet. hmmm...

oh god! that's funny and sad about the showers at the same time!

I like arnold as a politician - NOT as an actor (except for conan and the bear fight in hercules in NY) but I honestly woudln't think he would have the where-with-all to know how to operate a motorcycle...

Look!

From 2004, but...

AB 2536
Page 1

Date of Hearing: March 30, 2004

ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
Ellen M. Corbett, Chair
AB 2536 (Lieber) - As Introduced: February 20, 2004

As Proposed to be Amended

SUBJECT : PUBLIC LODGING PLACES: SHOWER AND BATH FACILITIES

KEY ISSUE : SHOULD LARGE HOTELS AND OTHER PUBLIC LODGING PLACES BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE GRAB BARS IN THE BATH TUBS AND/OR SHOWER STALLS OF AT LEAST 25 PERCENT OF GUEST ROOMS BY 2009, INCREASING TO 100 PERCENT IN 2030, AND NONSKID SURFACES IN ALL ROOMS AS OF 2005?

This is public places, but will soon be in our homes too... man, you nailed it! We may be in the old Soviet Union :shifty_ey:shifty_ey:shifty_ey

It's everyones right to risk their own life in any matter they feel fit. I think one reason for the laws are so you never can say "i didn't know". Then you sue them lawmakers for not making a law to keep you safe about something they knew was dangerous. Now you know and its your choice.

As for greater chance of wrecking when wearing a helmet is Nothing I can agree with. I think them guys going 180mph do fine with them on. I have done my share of riding and (stupidly) speeding, but never was sight deprived.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for greater chance of wrecking when wearing a helmet is Nothing I can agree with. I think them guys going 180mph do fine with them on. I have done my share of riding and (stupidly) speeding, but never was sight deprived.

a helmet completely blocks your peripheral vision from above, below, and to the sides compared to not having one on. This isn't me raving, this is fact.
Look at something out of the corner of your eye, then put a lid on and try to see it...You won't!

The average person has a 200+ degree peripheral field of vision, a helmet restricts that to 140-150 degrees.

OH, i'm talking about a full face lid, too. a suicide helmet (or half helmet) doesn't restrict much really.

Back