Do you wear a seatbelt? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters
Seatbelts kick A$$!
if it were'nt for seat belts (and the amazing construction of the 1987 Pontiac Firebird) the '04 X that hit my old car would have proboly killed me and my buddy!
screw airbags give me a 5 point harness!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For my job i have to get into a car and drive it 50 feet to the garage bay to work on it. so doing this for 40 hours a week puts a habbit on. i don't usually wear it right away. but about 10 or 15 minutes after i've been driving i realize i'm not wearing it and put it on.

And school busses around me had the seatbelts removed from them because lil ones were hitting each other with them. so to alieviate the drivers responsibilities they cut em out.

Justin

I heard of an interesting helmet law proposed, but don't know if it ever passed. The lawmaker wanted to make helmet use optional, BUT...if you were in an accident w/out a helmet, you gave automatic consent for organ donation.

Not to be morbid or anything... but do bikers normally have enough organs left after they wreck to the point of death?

I hate the explorer seat belt. it is way to annoying and it tightens up as you drive, but i still wear it! I like my A4 seat belt a lot better though :)

i dont wear my seat belt around town because the cops dont care around here but if i am on the highway (60-85)mph i might wear one if im havin a bad day.

For those that don't wear a seatbelt, what logical reason keeps you from wearing one? I'm not talking about the people who move cars in and out of garages, or park cars in a lot, I'm talking about the people out driving on the roads.

The main purpose of a seat belt, for the driving public, is not for prevention of that driver's injuries.

The drivers seat belt's main purpose is to help keep the driver in control of the vehicle at all times, to avoid/minimize an accident. When you begin to lose control of a vehicle, your body will not be held in place in the seat. That creates more danger for everyone else on the road, while you crash.

The driver should always wear a seat belt for the safety of all other people. If you personally don't care about yourself, fine, go drive into a wall. Wear the seat belt so that you can stay in control of the vehicle as long as possible, for other's safety. Regards,

It took me 6 seat belt violations at $38 a pop to finally start buckling up!

well at least it wasnt a bad crash that changed your mind

here in illinois its click it or ticket. were the seat belts they save lives. even though i dont think the law sould regulate if you were them or not, imo you should at all times. im headed into law enforcement and can say that they do save lives and major injuries.

seatbelt required. I don't wear in my 66 mustang, I'd rather be able to get out if something happens. the ZAPV, the rollover machine? always wear it.

I don't wear in my 66 mustang, I'd rather be able to get out if something happens. ...

Explain that one please...

The famed exploding gas tank design. When I do something really stupid int he stang I wear it then too, but it's gotta be super dumb. sometimes if all I'm doing is driving in town I'll just take them out to avoid the ticket too. also when I rolled a vehicle in high school I woulda been dead if I wore a seatbelt. the vehicles first impact hit directly above the drivers side and immediately crushed the roof down to the seat. my head hit the roof as it was when I drove.

almost always except for some tight maneuvers backing a trailer for instance or plowing snow. In Wisconsin it's the law and the driver gets a ticket if the passenger is not wearing one along with the passenger.

The famed exploding gas tank design. When I do something really stupid int he stang I wear it then too, but it's gotta be super dumb. sometimes if all I'm doing is driving in town I'll just take them out to avoid the ticket too. also when I rolled a vehicle in high school I woulda been dead if I wore a seatbelt. the vehicles first impact hit directly above the drivers side and immediately crushed the roof down to the seat. my head hit the roof as it was when I drove.

So you know in advance if some idiot blows through a stoplight/stopsign and broadsides you from the passenger's side, tossing you around like a rag doll? It takes a whopping 1 second or so to pop a seatbelt off. I highly doubt that one second will save you from more injuries than wearing it in the first place. And the exploding gas tank doesn't explode, it leaks and then catches fire if there is an ignition source. (I'm well versed in Classic Mustang)

[Rant on]My wife and daughter are alive and healthy today because they wear seatbelts. My wife rolled our '92 Explorer, blowing out most of the glass and crushing the roof in when she got knocked off the road by another driver. My almost 3 year old daughter was belted in and stayed safely in her seat while the vehicle flipped, leaving her hanging sideways in the carseat. If the two of them hadn't been belted in, they would have been tossed all over the vehicle, and likely one of them would have been either ejected or partially ejected. As it was, my wife walked away with a bruise on her knee, and my daughter was unharmed.

Accidents are called that for a reason. People say "oh, I'll brace myself if I see it coming". Most of the time you don't see 'em coming, so you have no chance at preparing for them. Even if you do see it coming, you may not be able to hold yourself in place. SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES AND INJURIES. It may be your perogative to wear them or not, but my insurance premiums still pay for your hospitalization if you choose not to wear them.[/Rant]

definitely your perogative, also the reason I wear it in my X all the time. because I'll probably need it. I'd kinda like to die with my stang if she dies. but I also plan a roll cage and 5 point harness too. so then I'll wear it more often. I've totalled my stang before, saw it coming, couldn't drive out of it, braced myself and calmly said "f*ck" as my buddy got pushed thru the windshield by his woman in the back seat. he woulda been hurting real bad if he was wearing it. his woman was kinda big and she braced herself on the back of his seat. as you know, 66 stang seats don't lock. I was uninjured.

When you put a cage in, you'll have to wear the belt ALL the time. Unless you don't mind bouncing your head off metal tubing. Even with padding, the tubing can easily split your head open without a helmet.

If you are in a vehicle with airbags, the belts hold you in the proper position to allow the airbags to to their job most effectively.

Not to start an argument or anything, but how does somebody not wearing a seatbelt in a car put other people in danger?

trying to avoid your broken ass, As you go thru the windsheild!

Originally Posted by Charlie - "Not to start an argument or anything, but how does somebody not wearing a seatbelt in a car put other people in danger?"

All objects in a vehicle become projectiles if they are not locked in place. A spare tire laying in the back of your truck can do a lot of damage to you if you hit something and stop. The tire does not stop, it keeps going in the direction that you were driving. It's the same with passengers If the right passenger isn't wearing a seat belt when you get hit in the left side, you and the vehicle are going to go right into the passenger.

Originally Posted by Charlie
Not to start an argument or anything, but how does somebody not wearing a seatbelt in a car put other people in danger?

by keeping you behind the wheel and maybe in control of the vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do ALL the time and feel almost naked without it I guess is a good word. I think that there isn't any reason to not wear one. Have seen to many people hurt that could have been much better off had they had a belt on.

Back