Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Discussion in 'Explorer Related Polls' started by Charlie, April 7, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

1. Yes, always.

397 vote(s)
      81.0%
    2. No, never

29 vote(s)
      5.9%
    3. Depends (please post what it depends on)

64 vote(s)
      13.1%
    1. silver4x4

silver4x4 Active Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee, WI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 XLT
      I should but makes me fell uncomfortable. Almost that clostraphobic feeling. It is a law here in WI but they can not pull you over for that. They have to nail you with the seatbelt secondary to something else.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. VA-ExplorerDude

VA-ExplorerDude New Member

City, State:
      Newport News, VA(Currently stationed in Hawaii)
      95 Limited
      Yes I do. You are stupid not to.

4. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT

I would think that your head going through the windshield would be more uncomfortable than wearing the seatbelt.

5. best X

best X Active Member

City, State:
      IRB florida
      '96 SPORT
      HAHA. For some reason i found that really funny, but its the truth seat belts were designed for a purpose im sure ford wouldn't spend money on something useless. For me I always wear my seat belt, the one time i didn't I probably 6 and someone re-ended my dads work truck and my head cracked the window never again will I ride with out one.

6. kako

kako Member

City, State:
      connecticut
      '05 Xlt
      i wear it now because im so used to it my old car had that
      automatic seat belt the one that moves up and down when the door is close
      so now i feel wierd if i dont use it ;)

7. WhiteLimited

WhiteLimited Guest

I wear mine all the time! But not wearing one saved my life once so hmmm but thats rare...

8. BlackHawk09er

BlackHawk09er Active Member

City, State:
      Cypress Texas
      2001 Explorer Sport
      well now im interested... you gotta tell me how? Rollover? run into a lake?

i always were mine
      when i was little my dad would say the truck couldnt start unless it was clicked..lol.. got me into habit

9. WhiteLimited

WhiteLimited Guest

Most of the guys that I talk with on here know haha but here it is summed up...

Cut off + Thrown 30 yards + Brain Surgery + Left arm rebuild + 1 month Coma Yet the only reason I'm alive is because I had no seat belt. The EMT's on site saw me and called my mom, they were friends of hers. They are the ones who told mom that I'm a rare case. I have no memories from this at all its all what I have been told.

[​IMG]

10. JDraper

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT
      For those of you who were "saved" by not wearing a seatbelt.....how can you be sure since you didn't go through the same accident with it on? You're making an assumption based on some partial facts. Even if it is true that you may be alive because you didn't have your seatbelt on, you are in the extreme minority. The facts are that you are far more likely to survive a bad accident if you are wearing your seatbelt...period.

Danny..how do you KNOW for a fact you wouldn't be here if you had your seatbelt on? Because some EMT told you so?

11. hazmat456

hazmat456 Active Member

City, State:
      tomah wi
      1997 mercury mountaineer
      I am one of those people,I rolled over my dad's 86 ranger when I was 16 and don't think I would be here if I had been wearing one the top of the cab almost completely caved in. I don't believe that is rare on these older trucks that didn't have the high crash standards of today. However I agree that in a never vehicle the odds of survival are much higher if you are wearing a seat-belt. But I think that rollovers in vehicles for the 80's it's a tossup.

12. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Let's be nice, this is about possibilities, chance. There are always positive and negative possibilities for anything, including using seat belts.

Not having seat belts on will result in far more injuries, almost every time, compared to wearing them. You should bet on the greatest possibility to survive or have no injuries. That is vastly on the side of wearing seat belts.

God bless you Danny, I hope you do know how fortunate you were, and will continue to be safe. I had an accident in 1997 when I wrecked my own car, alone. I killed the car(91 LSC SE), a telephone poll in the left door hinge, and stepped out of the sunroof. With minor injuries I credit God for me being here, not the seat belts or luck. I still wear them as much as possible today. Regards,

• Like Like x 1
    13. WhiteLimited

WhiteLimited Guest

Well the way they drive shaft came up the roof came down, your right no one can be 100% sure but just by looking at the facts with my wreck you can see that I would have a very slim chance. But oh well I am here and thats all that matter's right? It turned me from a Dodge guy into a Ford guy :salute:

I know how fortunate I am too and believe me what ever the case was that night wearing or not wearing the belt I have ALWAYS worn in since regardless of if it saved my life or not. :salute: Cheers

14. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
      Re:

Always worn it, just a habit since I was a kid. Alaska law anyways. The two rules for passengers in my car are no smoking and wear your seatbelt. Only hit another object with any car I've owned once in my life, that was with my beloved '95 Eddie Bauer F-150. Head-on collision with a Lexus SUV, both cars doing about 40. I didn't feel a thing, blacked out on impact and woke up later with no pain at all and no injury beyond a bleeding thumb.

Danny, I remember when your wreck was in the paper. Not fair at all that the other car left the scene. Glad you made it out alive.

Last edited: January 2, 2009
    15. WhiteLimited

WhiteLimited Guest

It was in the news paper? I would love to get my hands on that. My mom never even knew it was in the paper. I sent you a PM, nice to see another Alaskan:salute:Cheers

16. 91ROKKRAWLER

91ROKKRAWLER Active Member

City, State:
      Bend, OR
      '91 Xploder
      unless i'm goin on long trips or something over a mile... i don't wear mine. too much of a hassle.

17. JDraper

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT
      How is wearing a seatbelt a hassle? It takes a whopping 2 seconds to put it on and about the same to take it off. Is that extra 4 seconds out of your life more important than the one time the belt saves your life?

18. timex129

timex129 New Member

City, State:
      Shilo, Manitoba
      2000 Limited 4.0L SOHC
      I'll always wear a seatbelt in all civilian vehicles. But when I'm in a military vehicle I won't.

19. budgawnings

budgawnings B

City, State:
      Lake Tahoe, CA
      What's the reason for not wearing one in a military vehicle?

I always have mine buckled, even when just getting the mail down the driveway. It's habit, and if I start breaking the habit for short rides down my neighborhood, it's harder and harder to justify when to have it on and for what distance it is required. So, I just keep it simple and always wear it.

20. P Mark

P Mark Member

City, State:
      Birmingham AL
      '97 XLT
      in Alabama the law is if you don't have your seat belt on its a 15 dollar fine, but they only "check if you get pulled over so you can put it on before the cop walks up to your window

21. P Mark

P Mark Member

City, State:
      Birmingham AL
      '97 XLT
      thats the same in alabama but its only 15 dollars

22. patrick112390

patrick112390 Active Member

City, State:
      Alpharetta ga
      97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
      in va, it is a ""stoppable" offense....

23. YountExplr

YountExplr Active Member

City, State:
      Chino Valley, AZ
      '97 XL
      I have gotten in the habit of not wearing mine... probably should start again. Although I try to put it on if I see a cop even though it is a secondary law in AZ. :D

24. geoph1986

geoph1986 Guest

Here in Winnipeg, you have to wear a seat belt, unless you'rE in the box of a pick up. I always wear my seat belt. There was a time where I thought like a lot of you do, "It should be my choice". However, after be ejected and spending 6 months in the hospital (3 months in traction), it has now become second nature. It shouldn't even be a debate, they are there to keep you from flying around the cab if the worse happens.

25. speedracer0626

speedracer0626 New Member

City, State:
      Cleveland, Ga
      91 XLT
      I always wear mine. Even when I had that bad car wreak my seat belt saved me more pain and probably my life. In Ga if you drive a pickup truck you don't have to wear one, farmers law. I just moved up here to Tn so I don't know about their laws yet.

26. offroadjosh

offroadjosh Member

City, State:
      Kila Montana
      1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4wd
      Being a firefighter i always where mine unless im on a private road going slow. The only time i dont where it is if im in the water tender(3500gal of water) cause no matter what if you wreck the tender or an engine for that matter odds are your going to have all the weight of that water coming through the cab.

Josh