Does a 93 Explorer XLT 4x4 NO EGR Have a CMP??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does a 93 Explorer XLT 4x4 NO EGR Have a CMP???

you mentioned cleaning yourMAF. Where is it located? I just had one installed $235.00) It cleared up the rough running of the engine. And also could the camshaft sensor cause a leak that looks like it comes from the rear seal. Have had to seals installed and it still leaks. Anyone have any ideas for my great 93 Explorer? J. Norwood

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The maf is the alluminum thing bolted to the air filter box(well more specifically the black plastic sensor bolted To the alluminum thing)

I don't k is where the cmp on these engines is. But I know it on the front of the 5.0s.

However an intake can leak oil fromthe back where it meets the block between the heads. Which could flow down, over the rear seal and possibly confuse.

Just wondering if a 93 has a Cam Postioning Sensor or not?? Have a spare 92 Explorer Engine and i know it does not have one, so hopefully the 93 does not as well!!!

And also would a 92 Computer work on a 93??? Thanks
this is my first post here guys/gals. i have a 1998 ranger 4.0 4x4 ive been working on and i rang across a realy nice 1994 ranger with a 4.0 a d i new it wouldnt work with out swaping every thing over so i did and it runs realy great for about 45 miles then acts up. i no why its doing what its doing but im just not sure how to go about fixing thw problem this is y im here. si lets step back a knotch yal where talking about camshaft sycronizers well this 94 DOES NOT HAVE ONE it has a oil drive pump gear i think thats what they call it so it the same thing but with out the top has no tonge and no sensor and i put my 1998 camshaft into it and it doesnt realy fit it sits up about a 1/8" higher then the other one that was n it but it still runs and i did changer oil pumps even no they where the sam pumps and shaft but my deal it idk whitch unit to get so replace the original dri e gear and ford deal wont help me cause they want to work on it and im not paying hundreds of dollar to do something that i already no how to do myself.

o and the camshaft syncronizers are famos gor leaking oil the o rings get dried up and they leak so that answers the ? about thinking its ur rear seal.

according to my research on autozone's website:

the '93 DOES have parts listing for both an EGR valve and camshaft position sensor.

the '92 DOES have parts listing for an EGR valve, BUT does NOT have parts listing for a camshaft position sensor. however, there is a part listed for the connector for a camshaft position sensor for the '92... strange.

according to other research i have done, the '91 and the '92 are completely interchangeable with one another. in '93 and '94, they did some changes and upgrades, and so the '93 and '94 and completely interchangeable between each other. but '91-'94, all the basic parts are supposed to be interchangable, at least the parts they have in common- which is most of them.

I have been trying to find the answer to the exact same question for
two days.. Exept I have a 94 4.0

So, according to Autozones website (and I quote)
"1991-93 and 1991-95 4.0 (VIN X) engines did not use CMP sensors"

It goes on to say that 1994 2.3l California engines did.

My Hanes manual does back this info up, you have to read it carefully.
My X flashes a cel code 214 constantlly, (CID something something)
and it points to a possible bad Crankhaft pos. sensor.
I tried to verify the lack of a cmp sensor by calling two other parts houses to
see if they had a sensor in stock, both said they dont show a cmp for a 94
Thats as far as ive gone with it. Anyone?
I would check to see if you have the correct ECM

according to other research i have done, the '91 and the '92 are completely interchangeable with one another. in '93 and '94, they did some changes and upgrades, and so the '93 and '94 and completely interchangeable between each other. but '91-'94, all the basic parts are supposed to be interchangable, at least the parts they have in common- which is most of them.
92 and some 93's don't have EGR they have CMP's though

all the 4.0s have the cam sensor.. which is a timing sensor for the DIS, it is where the distributor would normally be on the back of the motor, even has a shaft with a drive gear that runs off of the cam just like a distributor. in actuallity it is a glorified distributor. the cam sensor itself is bolted to the top of the 'shaft'. installation of the shaft requires a cam alingment tool to get it within spec for it to run.

I hear you...but...I just found out today my '94 Ranger with 4.0 and 5 spd manual trans. dose not have a camshaft position sensor, at least not where it is supposed to be (back of the engine) nor is there a wire harness for it.
I had pulled the same trouble code so I consulted the internet and my Haynes manual. Bought the sensor and began to locate it but was unable to. One you tube video says to pull the upper intake to get to it, I did. Looking with my shop light and feeling around I still could not locate it. Finally I got a mirror and discovered that where it is supposed to go there is just a small round plate held down by a bolt.
So is there another sensor for fuel timing ?
I am just a shade tree guy without the tree.
Can not find much to help figure this one out.

get a book from Bentley publishers called how to understand and modify ford fuel injection & electronic engine control covers 1988-93 does not go into '94 it says all 4.0 liter engines in '91-92 explorers did not have cmp or egr '93 California engines ha egr and cmp but not '49 state engines although I think new York got the California engine
roscoe

To clear up some things Here goes: the Crankshaft position sensor is used with the missing tooth on the harmonic balancer to time the Ignition. All OHV 4.0 engines have this.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is used to time the sequential fire injection system so that the right injector pulses for the right cylinder at the right time. It is driven by the back end of the camshaft and is also used to drive the oil pump.

If you have different colored wires [i.e.black and green, black and blue, black and purple, etc] at each injector you have sequential fire, if your injectors have the same color wire you have batch fire.

If you get a 214 code it is for the Camshaft sensor and is used for injector timing, ignore that the code says ignition as ford used it to time the injectors.

You can use a later model sensor in a '94 if you cut the plug out of a later model. The connector is different but the wire colors are the same. Make sure to get at least 8" of wire as the connector on the later sensor exits at a perpendicular angle from the sensor, the '94 is towards the top. Replacement connectors use all black wires and you will not know where the wires go.

That's it for my wisdom, I put a '96 or '97 in my '94 and timed it using instructions found here. No 214 code ever since. The perfect time to do this is during a lower intake gasket replacement as then you can see the JJGOOYL##!!!!! thing. Othewise throw some plywood over the engine and fight down the last 4" of the engine bay... sucks!

Thanks for the help...gonna check them injector wires...then maybe I will know what I got...

1993 Ford EXPLORER
Submodel:
|Engine Type:
V6|
Liters:
Fuel Delivery:
FI|
Fuel:
GAS
The CMP sensor provides the camshaft position information, called the CMP signal, which is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for fuel synchronization.

NOTE: 1991–93 2.3L and 1991–95 4.0L (VIN X) engines did not use CMP sensors.

1994 2.3L California only and 1995–99 2.3L and 2.5L engines utilize CMP sensors. The 1994 CMP is located on the oil pump drive assembly, on the left-hand lower side of the engine block. 1995–99 models CMP sensor is located and triggered by the auxiliary shaft drive sprocket.

On the 1991–94 2.9L and 3.0L engine, the distributor stator is the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor, and it is a Hall effect magnetic switch. On the 1995–99 3.0L engine, the CMP is mounted on the oil pump drive assembly, located towards the rear of the block. it is also a single hall effect magnetic switch and it is activated by a single vane, and is driven by the camshaft.

Fig. 1: Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor used on the 2.3L and 2.5L engine — except 1994 California

Fig. 2: Oil pump drive mounted CMP sensor used on 3.0L, 4.0L and 5.0L engines and 1994 California 2.3L engines
89684g22.gif

On the 4.0L SOHC engine (VIN E), the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is a variable reluctance sensor, which is triggered by the high-point mark on the left-hand camshaft. It is mounted to the valve cover.

The 4.0L and 5.0L engines use a separate CMP sensor mounted to the oil pump drive. The drive assembly is located toward the rear of the engine on the 4.0L, and towards the front on the 5.0L engine.

Section 03-14: Engine Controls, Electronic
1994 All Aerostar, Ranger, and Explorer Vehicles Workshop Manual
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
The camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) (12126) is used only on 2.3L Ranger vehicles with Sequential Fuel Injection (SEFI), with manual transmissions and California Emissions Certification.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is a single Hall effect magnetic switch. It has a single valve and is driven by the auxiliary shaft at camshaft speed. This sensor provides camshaft position information. The ignition control module will use camshaft position information for coil fire sequencing. The powertrain control module will also use the information for fuel injection sequencing.

a20929a.gif

Back