does ANYONE make a mini spool for dana 35?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does ANYONE make a mini spool for dana 35??

darrellx14

Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt
I've looked everywhere for a mini spool for the dana 35 in my explorer, and i cannot find one.. if anyone can find a link to one or anything the help would be much appreciated. I've already ordered manual lock in hubs, and i'm working on ordering my 4.10's and i really don't wanna have new gears and that and still have a lame open diff in the front

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just weld it and save yourself the money and taking the entire axle apart.

But if i weld it, doesn't that mean that it will always be a live axle in the front? or will i still be able to unlock a hub so i can turn easier if i'm in a tight situation?

Yes welding and a mini spool will do the same thing. You will be able to unlock the hubs to free wheel. I've heard of people running 1 locked hub on tight twisty trails to be able to turn and have something turning up front.

All Right then, good deal.. comes out cheaper too, and wouldn't you know my parents bought me a welder for christmas, haha. New question now.. if i were to get the LS out of an explorer w/ rear LS would i be able to put it in my rear end w/ my new 4.10s?

You would need to get a complete LS carrier for a 4.10.

what do you mean the complete LS carrier? I thought i could just get the LS part out and put it in my rear end (3.27 open) with the new gears?

darrellx14 said:
what do you mean the complete LS carrier? I thought i could just get the LS part out and put it in my rear end (3.27 open) with the new gears?

When he means carrier, he means the entire unit that the gear bolts on to.

And yes you can use any 31 spline 8.8 carrier... reguardless of ratio, no carrier breaks.

So if i went to the local junk yard and said that i wanted an entire rear end out of an explorer that had the LS, that would be what i need to do that, and i just sell the 8.8 to a mustang owner or something like that? haha

darrellx14 said:
So if i went to the local junk yard and said that i wanted an entire rear end out of an explorer that had the LS, that would be what i need to do that, and i just sell the 8.8 to a mustang owner or something like that? haha

Theres a couple things you can do here. Get an LSD 8.8 that you want, out of a 95+ truck with disks (w/ master cylinder), and run new brake lines so you can have yourself an 8.8 with rear disks.

Or if you have installed your own gears before, you can put a Limited slip carrier in your current axle, ($250 Trac-lok *junk, $400 Truetrac, $350 Auburn LSD) but you need to know how to properly set up gears...

if all you want is some traction, the easiest and cheapest would to get an aussie locker $229, and install that in your current axle. (no skills required at all, everyone can do this themselves. haha)

If you wheel atleast once a month, and just LOVE spinning your tires EQUALLY, just get the locker, just DO it.

Well, i do like to wheel, but having open diff's front and rear w/ 3.27's and 31's isn't much fun.. which is why i want 4.10's and locked at both ends.. but this Aussie locker? i've never heard of a locking differential that cheap before, where can you buy them?

darrellx14 said:
Well, i do like to wheel, but having open diff's front and rear w/ 3.27's and 31's isn't much fun.. which is why i want 4.10's and locked at both ends.. but this Aussie locker? i've never heard of a locking differential that cheap before, where can you buy them?

Its a 'lunchbox' style locker that replaces your spider gears.

www.offroadlockers.com

as of the momment, they dont have a locker for the front. although, Lockrite has a lunchbox style locker that will fit your dana 35.

You wont find 4.10s at the junkyard, 3.73 is most likely your best bet.

I believe you will want to find an Explorer with an axle code of D4. I don't know if that will carry over to 2nd gen trucks but that should be the code for the LS rear end you want, but it should have 3.73 gears though. I dont know if Explorers with 4.10 gears came with a LS diff. The axle code is located on a sticker on the end of drivers door.

the explorer did come with LS 4.10 gears. axle code D2. but is proble hard to find

I was thinking about 4.10s but I think with 33s or higher I would like something higher. I think with 4.56s and 33s the ratio ends up being 4.05. The formula I was given was "OEM tire size x New tire size / Gear ratio" does that sound right?

i've already bought the 4.10's.. they are brand new gears. I was just asking about lockers and such. but i guess i'll just buy an aussie locker for the rear, weld the front, and buy the manual hub kit

Back