• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Warning Won't Go Away

TeamTrent

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Looking for help with an electrical and stuck on where to start troubleshooting.

Hi all! Please help!

This began when I noticed the door ajar indicator was always on even with all the doors securely closed. I thought it was a stuck sensor but then another symptom came along. If I turn the interior light dimmer switch all the way on when the truck is in motion it also triggers the door ajar warning to come on while the truck is moving.
I'm not sure where to begin to figure out where the short may be but this is driving me NUTS!! Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so from watching the video I'm also realizing that the locks on the driver side door don't work either with all this going on. Being that the actuator is also a component here could it be that simple that it's the whole assembly needs to be replaced?

Door latches, actuators, and handles are NOT one of the Ford Explorers stronger points. If you search the forum you will find them to be some of the most common issues. IF you hear a buzzing noise when using the door lock switch, chances are nylon gears are slipping inside the actuator motor. Removing the door panel and glass run channel is usually the only way to diagnose the problem. These links may not be specific to your issue(s), but contain good info and pics to troubleshoot. GL

door latch problem solved - temporarily maybe??

How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement

with mine similar issue.door ajar and courtesy lights in the truck would stay on.I sprayed the latches on the edge of the door with WD-40 and operated each door several time and,have not had an issue since.Hope this helps

Well I'm obviously going to try the WD-40 first but honestly upon just a visual inspection the latch (and I'm assuming the sensor) seem pretty well rusted. I'm going to wait until Sunday when there will be a spare vehicle here in case of a major snafu and let you guys know how it all worked out.
I am thinking it may be the whole assembly though as the door lock buttons and keyless entry pad aren't working either. I may have to break out the Chiltons to see if they're all somehow connected.
I saw a couple of vids on getting the actuator out if need be and I'm hoping there aren't a lot of surprises that may fall apart before I can get a view of how it all goes together.
I'll report back later this weekend!

ok you also may want to check the wiring between the door and body, there is a boot with the wiring in it. my 05 monty had 3 broken wires that made my puddle light not work drivers side only and 1 of the back doors would'nt lock, Its a common issue. you dont have to take the door panel off just pull the rubber boot out of the body, and push it in the door. start digging through the wires. I was pulling on the ends as close to the door and body one wire at a time

i have this happen to mine about once a year... WD 40 cures mine...

I might try the WD-40 on my doors as well. I noticed my 04 Explorer's door ajar light will usually stay on when I first crank it up in the mornings, but once I put it in gear and start driving, it goes away.

Well I'm obviously going to try the WD-40 first but honestly upon just a visual inspection the latch (and I'm assuming the sensor) seem pretty well rusted. I'm going to wait until Sunday when there will be a spare vehicle here in case of a major snafu and let you guys know how it all worked out.
I am thinking it may be the whole assembly though as the door lock buttons and keyless entry pad aren't working either. I may have to break out the Chiltons to see if they're all somehow connected.
I saw a couple of vids on getting the actuator out if need be and I'm hoping there aren't a lot of surprises that may fall apart before I can get a view of how it all goes together.
I'll report back later this weekend!
before you buy anything i would go though the door wiring first, I could be mistaken but my 02 monty is pretty crusty also and i found a black wire that was broken, Which was a ground and, made rear door locks and my left side puddle light come back on...hope this helps

I would guess that you wouldn't think wd40 will work if there are windows and locks actually not working...

the wd worked on my 02 monty door locks for sure, that happened before the wire broke in the door jam..I sprayed them twice not knowing which door it was, and opened and closed them quite a few times.that was about 2 years ago it was the left rear door. By the time i got to that door i was closing them pretty hard thinking it wasnt going to work and i was going to have to disconnect the battery for the night. .My interior lights would not turn off...My 05 monty had three broken wires the same black ground and two other wires....

Back