Door fit tolerances | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door fit tolerances

Wondering if there is a certain tolerance for how a door fits? The top of my 16 EX front passenger door appears to be recessed in further than the rear passenger door. I would say as much as an 1/8" to 1/4" inch. Should I have a dealer look at it or take my lumps for not noticing it when I bought it? The drivers side looks fine. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That seems like a lot of misalignment. I would think that would not have passed final Ford QC before shipment. I assume you bought it new?

It was early production, one prior owner. It had 11k miles on it when I bought it.

Did the PO state that there had been no accidents prior to your purchase? Look like any paint work been done? Was purchase from a dealer or private owner? Just trying to eliminate any prior damage. Regardless, if it was that way when you bought it (and if you didn't notice it) you might be SOL.

The front door should be just a half of a hair out to the rear door. You have the opposite and quite a few hairs it seems.

Question one, is it consistent. Meaning is it recessed the same amount as the top as it is the bottom ?
Question two, does the front door and the rear door open just fine without a large POP ?
Question three, do you get any excessive wind noise from that side of the vehicle ?

Please post some pics too please.

Yeah, that looks incorrect. Not hateful though.
If it bothers you enough here is a fix.
Roll the window down all the way. This is EPIC crucial, roll the window down.

Open the door, get a rubber mallet and put it between the top corner of the door and the frame. Put your hands down by the corner where the glass opening ends. Firmly but gently push in on the door. It might take a few tries to get it to the point that satisfies you.
If you go too far open the door, stand inside, put your knee up where the glass opening ends, and tug the top back with your hands.

Really? And it won't mess up the window from going up/dn? Thanks for the information!

Not in the small amount you need to move it.
I have done it 1,000's of times.

Back