Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

I've not had any time to figure out how to upload photos

Update re Door panels being replaced by Ford;
Received call on Friday from Ford Dealership - rep informed me that both front door panels would be replaced for the cost of $400....

Better than the $12-1300 initiallly quoted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've not had any time to figure out how to upload photos

Update re Door panels being replaced by Ford;
Received call on Friday from Ford Dealership - rep informed me that both front door panels would be replaced for the cost of $400....

Better than the $12-1300 initiallly quoted
You can take out an Elite membership and post directly from your device or use a 3rd party site such as Photobucket but those pictures will over time disappear.
Please add the trim level (Limited) to your profile. Thanks.

Peter

Funny, I've noticed the same issue with mine and just crossed 38000 miles. Both front door panels are experiencing this. I guess that I can't be surprised that Ford would do the minimum required.

I'll try checking with the Ford reps here after I take it to the dealer next week. Maybe I can get a Christmas break.

My doors did this as well,on a 2014 Explorer Limited. I have a case out trying to get some help with this via Ford Customer Service. This is so maddening!!!! Car is 2 years old, perfect otherwise and this happens and Ford thinks they are not responsible!!!! This is horrible. So disappointed. This is our 8th Ford and this is so unacceptable. Furious. Dealer wants $600 to fix. Not paying this - I am going to stop at nothing to make Ford take care of this!!!!! I am told the police explorers do this as well. Makes my car look very cheap. Can't stand a company that won't take care of their faulty workmanship - Shoddy, very shoddy Ford.

Well I am having the same problem as well as a crack coming in the door panel on the drivers side were it looks like it is threaded together in the crease. But I have also noticed that both front doors have the problem where it looks as if the vinyl part is pulling away from the door. I have around 61,000 miles on mine and it is a 2014 so of course there is no warranty. Is there any thing that can be done about this?

Other than Dbjax in post #20, looks like most of these are happening on MY 2014 Explorers. May be a bad production run of door panels.

Sure does seem like 2014 models. My driver's door is separating at the armrest. I asked the dealer to see if they could get Ford to fix it. No go. Quoted something like $350 to have it replaced. Kinda burns me. They advised me to call Ford Customer Care to see if Ford will pay for it.

Well I am having the same problem as well as a crack coming in the door panel on the drivers side were it looks like it is threaded together in the crease. But I have also noticed that both front doors have the problem where it looks as if the vinyl part is pulling away from the door. I have around 61,000 miles on mine and it is a 2014 so of course there is no warranty. Is there any thing that can be done about this?
. I called customer service at FORD, they opened a case, my service manager followed up and FORD is paying the cost of the repair, $600. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. That and threatened litigation did the trick.
Sure does seem like 2014 models. My driver's door is separating at the armrest. I asked the dealer to see if they could get Ford to fix it. No go. Quoted something like $350 to have it replaced. Kinda burns me. They advised me to call Ford Customer Care to see if Ford will pay for it.
Call them. I did, they are paying for mine. I threatened litigation. They said they would pay.

Our 2012 Limited had/has the same issue. It was fixed once under warranty but the drivers side is separating again. Since this is an ongoing issue and their previous repair needs repairing again...would it be covered? Obviously my warranty is long gone now.

My 2014 Explorer has the same issue. At 40K took it to the dealer and they said sorry, out of warranty. SOL. They wanted a ridiculous 700.00 to 'fix' it.

Our 2012 Limited had/has the same issue. It was fixed once under warranty but the drivers side is separating again. Since this is an ongoing issue and their previous repair needs repairing again...would it be covered? Obviously my warranty is long gone now.

From my understanding, there is a warranty on the part and labor itself. It may only be a year, though. You'd need to check with the dealer.

This was told to me in regards to a transmission issue on my Super Duty.

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport and the driver door panel is starting to separate in the same spot. I have the ESP and my local dealer told me that it is not covered so I may glue the panel myself. Has anyone looked into repairing the panel on their own?

The vehicle is also starting to have minor issues with the clear laminate on the headlight. a couple of very small bubbles have formed along the edge of the headlight housing.

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport and the driver door panel is starting to separate in the same spot. I have the ESP and my local dealer told me that it is not covered so I may glue the panel myself. Has anyone looked into repairing the panel on their own?

The vehicle is also starting to have minor issues with the clear laminate on the headlight. a couple of very small bubbles have formed along the edge of the headlight housing.
Welcome to the Forum Matt.:wave:
Are the bubbles on the outside surface of the headlight? There are a couple posts about issues on the inside.

Peter

- - -

Hi Matt,

I took mine to an auto upholsterer who spray glued it down. Had to take the door trim apart... cost me 60.00 and did a fantastic job.

Hampri

Hello, new member here and need everyone's opinion on an issue I'm having.

I have 2014 Explorer Limited that I purchased in 2015, the vehicle is a few months short of 2 years old, 40k miles, and a extended warranty.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that the top part of the door panel, right were the glass and top of the panel meet is separating. Both the drivers and passenger side. Think of when you have the window rolled all the way down, right were you would rest your arm.

So I take the vehicle in to be looked at and hopefully get a warranty fix and unfortunately I'm told its out of warranty. The cost to fix would be a few hundred dollars.

I made a call into corporate to open a claim and to see if the dealer will fix as a warranty issue. With this vehicle still under 2 yrs. and just over the 36k miles the door panels shouldn't be swelling and separating. After opening the claim and talking to the dealer they would give me a "discount" and would get back to me. No corporate help and left to the dealer to make decision.

Am I asking too much for a car this new to be repaired as what seems to be a defect?

I am having the exact same issue with my 2015 Ford Explorer that was purchased new. Less than two years and the panels on both front doors are warped. Dealership said it is a common problem, yet because I am over 36K I will need to pay. They sent me to Ford, who sent me back to dealership. This is clearly a defect from factory and it is unfortunate that Ford does not stand behind its product, regardless of how many miles are on the vehicle less than two years old, that has been very well maintained. If this is what Ford has to offer - from a product AND customer relations standpoint - I'll pass.

Welcome to the Forum Michele.:wave:
Sorry to read about your problem. Unfortunately we no longer seem to have the Ford reps here that we contacted for such issues in hopes of getting some help to have similar problems looked after.

Peter

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer. Over the winter, I noticed the door "buckling up" from the window on the passenger side. It appears as if the adhesive that keeps the door panel in place, is not holding and it is coming apart and pulling away from the door. Now the same thing is happening on the driver's side. When I inquired about it at the dealership, I was told the entire door panel would need to be replaced at a cost of $787! (For each door). I was also told this is not covered under warranty, etc. Has anyone else had this issue with their explorer and the door panels/vinyl pulling away from the door?

I too, have a 2014 ford explorer with the same issue. Less that 32,000 mi and the driver door panel is separating at the window seem area. Dealership said it is out of warranty and I would have to pay $400 to fix. This is obviously a manufacturer defect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer. Over the winter, I noticed the door "buckling up" from the window on the passenger side. It appears as if the adhesive that keeps the door panel in place, is not holding and it is coming apart and pulling away from the door. Now the same thing is happening on the driver's side. When I inquired about it at the dealership, I was told the entire door panel would need to be replaced at a cost of $787! (For each door). I was also told this is not covered under warranty, etc. Has anyone else had this issue with their explorer and the door panels/vinyl pulling away from the door?
I too, have a 2014 ford explorer with the same issue. Less that 32,000 mi and the driver door panel is separating at the window seem area. Dealership said it is out of warranty and I would have to pay $400 to fix. This is obviously a manufacturer defect.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread/post has been merged with this one on the same issue. FYI, the Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find existing issues.
While I agree that it can be considered a defect, only a few members have posted about it.
Check out post #35.

Peter

Back