Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

We had ours repaired under warranty. Dealer took photos of it and sent in for approval. Called a day later and said it was ready to go pending ordering the panel. It falls under the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread has been very helpful to me, thanks everyone!

I've got a '15 XLT, out of warranty now at 42k. I already had the passenger door upholstery repaired under the b2b warranty, no resistance from the dealer on that one. Of course now the driver side is the issue, same thing, bubbled up by the window.

I have black interior, Wichita, KS, so not super hot climate but hot enough i suppose. It is sounding a bit like the heating aspect is ruining the adhesion.

Dealer offered once to "check on a price to fix" where i replied I'm not paying for that, so unless you're gonna do it just change the oil please. My intention was to glue this one down in place again myself, but it's already come back up. Pretty quick and half-ass fix i admit, so i'll try it a bit more intensive another time before i move back to calling ford to push for more help. Hoping maybe since i did have one already under warranty, it'll help justify the other needs fixed under warranty too. Cant say i'm real optimistic they'll buy that but i'm gonna try.

Worst case, i'll find a side shop to work on the interior for cheaper than a dealer.

Just found this forum and thread looking for solutions to this same issue. 2014 Explorer XLT with black interior. Now out of warranty. No excessive wear, panel edge just started pulling away under the window on the drivers side. Looks horrible.

Just found this forum and thread looking for solutions to this same issue. 2014 Explorer XLT with black interior. Now out of warranty. No excessive wear, panel edge just started pulling away under the window on the drivers side. Looks horrible.
Welcome to the Forum Cole.:wave:
Have you read post #35? Not sure how that repair will hold up but likely better than what you have now. Good luck.

Peter

I think when we start having common issues everyone needs to start listing the dates of vehicle production (it's on VIN label on door jam).

Also if you have your door panel removed take a picture of the old door panel part label and it should have the suppliers date code of production.

I noticed by glancing over this site that others may have this problem. Purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer new. I travel a lot so I have 60,000 miles on my vehicle. The door paneling is pulling away from the door, as if it is warping. Dealership won't glue as they said that is the issue. 820 for a new panel, but again was told not a guarantee to fix. Called Ford all they took was a complaint. Called NSTA it it is not a safety issue being air bag is not in door. Not the answers I want to hear! HELP!

Others have taken their vehicle to upholstery/car trim shops and have had them fixed for $60-$100.

Hello, new member here and need everyone's opinion on an issue I'm having.

I have 2014 Explorer Limited that I purchased in 2015, the vehicle is a few months short of 2 years old, 40k miles, and a extended warranty.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that the top part of the door panel, right were the glass and top of the panel meet is separating. Both the drivers and passenger side. Think of when you have the window rolled all the way down, right were you would rest your arm.

So I take the vehicle in to be looked at and hopefully get a warranty fix and unfortunately I'm told its out of warranty. The cost to fix would be a few hundred dollars.

I made a call into corporate to open a claim and to see if the dealer will fix as a warranty issue. With this vehicle still under 2 yrs. and just over the 36k miles the door panels shouldn't be swelling and separating. After opening the claim and talking to the dealer they would give me a "discount" and would get back to me. No corporate help and left to the dealer to make decision.

Am I asking too much for a car this new to be repaired as what seems to be a defect?
I am having the same issues. Did you ever get it resolved? I am pushing Ford to do something. Sent pics, video and screen shots from others. Can't believe nothing is being done.

I am having the same issues. Did you ever get it resolved? I am pushing Ford to do something. Sent pics, video and screen shots from others. Can't believe nothing is being done.
Welcome to the Forum Elizabeth.
Since you are probably out of warranty I doubt that anything will be done for you. I don't believe that even the ESP warranty would have covered it.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. THis info can at times be very helpful. Thank you. Good luck.

Peter

We had ours repaired under warranty. Dealer took photos of it and sent in for approval. Called a day later and said it was ready to go pending ordering the panel. It falls under the bumper-to-bumper coverage.
I thought so too, and ha e the extended warranty. Does not fall under bumper to bumper. This is just shoddy work.

I am having the same problem and while it's good to see I'm not alone, terrible that Ford isn't just fixing this problem. I have black interior and saw the issue initially on the passenger door. When I brought it to the dealers attention during a service visit, I got the "just out of warranty" spiel. After an estimate of $600-700 I passed since it was small at first. Now it's gotten bigger and the driver side is almost completely separated. As others say, it looks cheap and is embarrassing when taking clients or coworkers around. I will try to take a picture later, but if others can keep us updated on progress getting Ford to respond, it will help the rest of us.

I've owned 3 Explorers and 1 Expedition over the last 25 years but this may be my last Ford. I've never had anything like this occur in my previous Ford ownership experience but I hate the feeling that Ford will no longer stand behind it's product.

Would someone mind posting pictures of what this defect looks like?

Would someone mind posting pictures of what this defect looks like?

Outside looking in:

WQFDhz0.jpg

Inside looking out:

JIjdAPK.jpg

e2AIVso.jpg

Outside looking in:

Inside looking out:

Hmmm I wondering if this is a fit issue and the door panel is getting pulled on by the window. Any rub marks on the door panel where it hangs over into the window opening?

Hmmm I wondering if this is a fit issue and the door panel is getting pulled on by the window. Any rub marks on the door panel where it hangs over into the window opening?
Someone else posted a picture quite a while ago and I'm trying to find it as well.

We have a 2015 Explorer Limited with 48K miles. The passenger front door panel is pealing away from the top near the window also. Dealer says it is out of warranty and not covered under any factory bulletins or recalls.

We have a 2015 Explorer Limited with 48K miles. The passenger front door panel is pealing away from the top near the window also. Dealer says it is out of warranty and not covered under any factory bulletins or recalls.
Welcome to the Forum Andy.:wave:
As some have posted, they either did a DIY repair or had a 3rd party shop take care of it. I have also not seen anything from Ford on the issue. Even if there was a TSB (Technical Services Bulletin) on it the repair would only be free if you were still under warranty. Recalls are only issued for 'Safety' related issues. Good luck.

Peter

Here are my pictures. The driver side is severe, even though the passenger side started separating 3-4 months earlier. The driver side went from slight to severe in 2-3 weeks.

Peter is probably right that there is nothing Ford will do but after having 3 Explorers and 1 Expedition, I may finally switch since I've never seen this disregard from the manufacturers of my wife's or son's cars.

PpHTjnaZUFs2j9hT6

hAf23LHubp4rBYRb7

Looks like my attempt to post a picture failed, I'll look around the forum and see if I can find the appropriate way to post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with about 43000 miles on it. At 42000 the door panel on the passenger side door started pulling away from the door up by the window. Also the upholstery on the front of the drivers seat keeps popping loose. Crossley Ford ,who has been doing my service work refused to do anything because it has over 36000 on it and the $3500 100,000 mile extended warranty doesn't cover cosmetic issues. These are not cosmetic issues they are manufacturing failures. Called Ford's customer satisfaction line and was told they weren't doing anything to help me either because of the 6000 miles over warranty. Yesterday 6/20/17 I got a call from Crossley's service rep informing Ford had decided to cover about $300 of about $700 they want to fix this. Right after I got the call I noticed the driver side door is starting to do the same thing. I refuse to give Ford or their minions one red cent to fix their poor quality workmanship. If I have to fork out any money to fix this it will be to a private trim shop. My extended warranty is through a third party company and I am no longer obliged to take this vehicle to a Ford dealership for anything if their not going to help me. I've worked at KCAP Truck 23 years and my Dad retired with 38. Apparently Ford could give a hoot about customer loyalty or satisfaction or employee loyalty. Any suggestions would be welcome at this point. Kenny

Back