and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Door won't open

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by FastEddy, March 9, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FastEddy

FastEddy New Member

City, State:
      West Warwick,RI
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT SOHC
      My son just picked up a 98 sport and the passanger door will not open no matter what I do.
      I have tryed the inside handle/outside handle, remote/door buttons, key.
      We have the seat out and the door panel off and I have tryed pushing/pulling on the rods wirh my fingers inside the door wile doing all of the above still can't get IT to open.
      Anyone have any ideas?
      HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. FastEddy

FastEddy New Member

City, State:
      West Warwick,RI
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT SOHC
      Help......anyone have any ideas on how I can get the door open?
      TIA

4. bluestream1

bluestream1 Active Member

City, State:
      Waterloo Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
      likely the plastic clip is broken inside the door; Have you tried using a slim jim?

5. sean99

sean99 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Sunnyvale, California
      Year and Model:
      01 Limited 5.0
    6. shane0613

shane0613 New Member

City, State:
      south carolina
      Year and Model:
      1998 5.0 V8 AWD XLT
      I have had the same problem for quite sometime. I have a 98 4 door Explorer and the front passenger door would not open when I got the vehicle. The outside inside handle did not seem to be connected to the rod and the outside handle did not work either. Today I finally took the time to try and fix it with a knowledgeable friend. My wife was tired of jumping across the drivers seat. Well it was a huge hassle. I was not able to get the door panel completely off, so we tried to locate the problem while one of us pulled the panel back. Nothing I did seemed to work. It seemed as if the locking mechanism was stuck. I finally found the problem. There is a rod that connects to the key mechanism that goes up/down when you turn the key. Somehow that particular rod was getting behind all the mechanical parts (sorry I don't know the correct terms, I'm no mechanic). So I had to reach my hand behind everything and pull on that rod. It was stuck behind something inside the door towards the rear. Well amazingly after over an hour of trying everything else when I pulled on that rod and got it unstuck from behind the other parts, I felt it release and the door opened using the outside handle. The rod had somehow fell out of the hole on the key locking mechanism and fell behind other parts. After getting the door to open I reconnected it and it immediately fell behind the other parts again and the door wouldn't open again. For the time being I cut it off and now the door works fine but it will not lock until I get new parts. The inside handle had a plastic part broken off also. It maybe worth a try to see if this is the same problem you have.

7. hmease010

hmease010 New Member

Year and Model:
      03 Ford Explorer Eddie Ba
      I have a 03 Explorer and I can open the passenger side door from the inside but not the outside what should I do?