Doors are frozen shut need help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doors are frozen shut need help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Try cold water

Originally posted by Nicaraguense
Hot water will only crack your glass. Not to mention it will make the problem worse because it will freeze. Hot water freezes much fater than cold water. You'll get it partially open and then just have it frozen with even more ice if you use hot water.

Ok, I'm going to need some references to buy this one. How can water that is of a higher temperature get to a colder temperature quicker than water that is already closer to the freezing point????

Well here's what I do. Or used to do!

I carry a small can of lock de-icer in my pocket during the winter. when a door freezes I just shoot it in the door seam.

Now I just use the autostart and start the car 15 minutes early with the heater on full blast and walla when its time to go doors are unfrozen

Auto start! That's CHEATING!

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
Now I just use the autostart and start the car 15 minutes early with the heater on full blast and walla when its time to go doors are unfrozen

Originally posted by DEROCHA
Auto start! That's CHEATING!

Really??!! Well then I spent my $50 bucks wisely.

oh and for you that say hot water freezes faster than cold water but don't know exactly why might want to read this.

In article <1992Jul22.095347.16@antioc.antioch.edu>, mbaya@antioc.antioch.edu writes... >
>and is it also true that Hot/boiling water will freeze faster than
>cold water? I know I heard this somewhere a long time ago. Why does it
>do this?
>
Yes, under some conditions. This is in the sci.physics FAQ. Here is the appropriate text:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

complete theory here urband legend or not here's the proof

or not info on why we don't know why it freezes faster

you wouldent have a remote starter by any chance would you

I do have one but not installed:( I just got the back door open with some D-icer.Thanks everyone for all your help:D

Glad to hear ya got open. I have used WD-40 before to thaw out padlocks and it works great to keep your doors from re-freezing if you apply it to the weather stripping. I wouldn't suggest spraying it though, saturate a rag and apply liberally to the rubber.

Originally posted by AlaskanJack oh and for you that say hot water freezes faster than cold water but don't know exactly why might want to read this.
Ever actually tried it?? I have.

Originally posted by 88vert
We ahd a thunder storm in my area a couple of nights ago and now it is 10 degrees.Now none of my doors will even budge:( Anybody got any ideas on how to open them?

Move to Virginia. That'll be a sure fix ;)

When my doors get frozen shut I can usually get the open by bumping them. Have you ever had your door not quite close tight when you are trying to look it? You can bump it with your hip to close it tight. Next time it is frozen bump it with your hip (bump the door near the handle so as not to dent it). Some times you may just have to lean hard on it.

One thing that I do is keep my rubber door stripping clean and sprayed with some type of rubber treatment. I spray it on a rag and wipe the trucks rubber door seals down. It seems to keep the ice off the rubber...........

Back