• Register Today It's free!

double din install kit

jtm087

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I just recieved the double din kit for my 96 ex, and a single din radio wont fit in it it's too tall and too wide!!! If you have two single din's are you supposed to cut the middle trim out? and what can I do for the width other than dremel it down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm an ex installer. Did an install similar to what you want to do. Honestly, I'd get a kit. In the case of a double din, it will require filing and fabrication of a trim ring of some sort for a finished look. In my case, I created it out of fiber-glass and painted it to match. It's not the easiest thing to do, but a good custom audio shop would probly do it for $150-$200 for you.

Yea I go that part, the filing of the car radio bezel trim isn't the part im having trouble with, Its the actual scosche fd1330b double din install kit im having problems with. The trim frame is too short and not wide enough for a one let alone two single dins to fit in. I read in another post that you dont even need the front trim, just screw the sides of the two units to the side pieses included in the kit, has anyone else done this? were their any issues with it falling out?

I have din-1/2 installed in my '99. There doesn't seem to have any room for double din without modifying the dash opening. '96 year may have different design.

jtm087 said:
the triming of the car radio dash trim isn't the part im having trouble with, Its the actual scosche fd1330b double din install kit im having problems with. The trim frame is too short and not wide enough for a one let alone two single dins to fit in.
My problem is with the kit not the dash itself

Are you installing two din units or a single unit double din size?

i could help you but i need a pic. of the radio and install kit they sell that brand at wal mart but i cant get up that way till next week sometime or else i would just check it myself sorry i cant be any help.

two single din units, I will try to take pics of what im talking about

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

sorry about the picture quality, my camera isnt the greatest, but you get the idea of whats going on. these two single dins wont fit in the kits trin. neither front nor back

here is mine...it can be done. You CAN NOT use the trim rings that came on the units.

Attachments

• carputer 044.jpg
    carputer 044.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,280

justin146 said:
here is mine...it can be done. You CAN NOT use the trim rings that came on the units.

Looks similar to the one I did only I think the kit Iused was different. It still required some filing. I ran into the same issue with the trim rings so I made my own.

so should I just screw the two side pieces to the units to hold them in place?? and will I have any issuse with them falling out? How would I go about making my own trim rings?

The side plated hold the units together and also fit into the groove of the surround to support them.

sorry ive never done it that way i would'nt know most people put the radio part in the lower center console they make a nice kit for it, that way just doesnt look to good to me. but i hope you find out how to do it good luck

HI, I've got a similar dilemma. I'm installing to separate single din units in my 2001 XLT Explorer. I spoke with sales rep with www.metraonline.com. Guy there said the 2002 has double din. Anyone know if I get hold of face place housing from salvage yard, if it will be backward compatible to my '01? Specifically the mounting holes, controls, etc.

i would just go to the yard and look at them who knows it might work you might find some more goodies! :D

Help installing 2 single din units into my explorers double din ???

I purchased a 7 inch flat screen din, and a Dvd PLayer din, to fit into my Double Din. What do i need to do, to make this work? Please any help at all. I need to know what kind of brackets i need to mount it, and I would like to make it look as nice as possible without spending to much money if its possible. thanks So much! ;)

What do you need help with? Buy the Scoshe double din kit at Wal Mart or online and shave the sides of the din a little bit and install.

Back