• Register Today It's free!

Double din touchscreen radios?

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks but the 2 that are under $200 are no name brands and if they were to go out God only knows how much of a ***** it'll be

double DIN head unit

I just did extensive research on units. I think the first task is to determine what it is you want in terms of features and then narrow down to those in your price range.

For me, back-up camera, and the ability to play 'my' music from USB flash drive or SDHC card were my number one consideration along with B/T for hands free phone usage.

Note that in order to retain steering wheel control [SWC] most units will require an 'interface box' to convert the signal to the head unit. Also, there are 'ladder network' (resistor network, I think) and 'bus connected/controlled'. Kind of a murky area I had to find my way through. In any event, these in-line boxes may add $40-$50 to the install.

I haven't yet pulled my stock unit as I'm awaiting delivery. While not brain surgery, this is the most complicated radio change over I've encountered.

I think the job will be easier if you get the required mounting hardware and harness to match the vehicle. Metra seems to be the biggest supplier.

Hopefully some insight from my recent research for a double DIN for my 2006 EB. -Regards.

Thank you for all the answers and recommendations , the Jenson head units definitely have my eye. Since I was so undecided I'm doing 3 other projects first. After those 3 it's the headunit turn

This is a great topic. I have SYNC in my X, so I hesitate to mess with the stock head unit. I was looking for GPS, music and some other vehicle diagnostic functions and always thought mounting a tablet (likely Android) in the spot where the stock unit is. This may require a separate amp for the music, but GPS, vehicle diagnostics (Torque app & ODB dongle) would be cool..and would have a touchscreen by default. I'm guessing it would be pretty affordable also.

Maybe but is it worth the hassle though. If you want a system diagnostics kind of thing why not buy a tuner that displays all of it. You can get an android based headunit with navi and Bluetooth for like $250 or $300.

Its not worth it... Everyone already has a phone and the bt or wifi obd dongle is less than $20 and most people dont need it running all the time... Im my experience android does a horribe job with music.. This is the reason 99% use ipad dash kits

Go with the Kenwood DDX9902s. Hand down the best overall choice on the market today.

that one looks great but its over 3X the cost of OP's budget
for that price does the Kenwood DDX9902s offer built in crossovers for going active and time alignment? there are a other options in that price range that offer DSP options

that one looks great but its over 3X the cost of OP's budget
for that price does the Kenwood DDX9902s offer built in crossovers for going active and time alignment? there are a other options in that price range that offer DSP options

Here are some specs of the unit

The DDX9902S is a full featured Multimedia receiver that supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This model includes Bluetooth, HD radio and is iDatalink and SiriusXM ready. There is also an HDMI input with MHL for full mirroring of Android Phones. Feature Advantages An external GPS antenna for more accurate Navigation in cities and other GPS challenged areas. This receiver also supports phone swapping. To change from an Android phone to an iPhone simply plug it in, there are no setting changes needed. This is a very important feature for families with both Android and iPhone devices. Features Built-in Bluetooth W/ apt X high res streaming Android Auto and CarPlay ready HDMI/MHL Input Rear USB and Aux Input FLAC Support HD Radio SiriusXM Ready 7 Band EQ DSP with time alignment Selectable digital high-pass and low pass filters 3 RCA Pre-outs 5 Volts 2 year warranty

DSP Section Graphics equalizer BAND 7Band
Frequency(Hz) 62.5/160/400/1k/2.5k/6.3k/16k
Gain -9/-8/-7/-6/-5/-4/-3/-2/-1/0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9[dB]
2Way X'Over HIGH PASS FILTER frequency Through/50/60/80/100/120/150/180/220
SLOPE -6/-12/-18/-24[dB/Oct.]
LOW PASS FILTER frequency 50/60/80/100/120/Through
SLOPE -6/-12/-18/-24[dB/Oct.]
Position Front / Rear /Subwoofer Delay 0 - 20.0ft (0.07ft Step)
Gain -8 to 0dB
Subwoofer Level -50 to +10dB

I know this is old but i bought a Dual XDVD256BT fit perfectly with the double din install kit. I even ran the pink wire to a bolt for dvd playback while in motion. Back up camera was installed later then i installed a front camera and ran both to a channel selector. Cameras are wired direct so i can use them also while the vehicle is in motion. Great for the trails.

Back