• Register Today It's free!

Driver's seat

Tom Champagne

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited 4WD
Just bought a 2017 Limited 4WD and after 1 hour of driving the drivers seat looks like the car is 3 yrs old. The outline of my arse is clearly visible. We have the perforated leather articulating seats. Wondering if anyone else has this issue. The seat in my 2015 Lexus IS350 looks like the day I brought it home. I'm hoping this isn't a design flaw(reading online about F150 owners having a horrible time with this issue). Just venting here,but really? a 50K$ car with 35 miles on it? Will take to dealership next week to have them look at this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My driver seat in my 2016 Limited with black leather looks brand new. It has 45K on it. You paid 50K? Wow, I just got mine for 29K as a CPO.

Just bought a 2017 Limited 4WD and after 1 hour of driving the drivers seat looks like the car is 3 yrs old. The outline of my arse is clearly visible. We have the perforated leather articulating seats. Wondering if anyone else has this issue. The seat in my 2015 Lexus IS350 looks like the day I brought it home. I'm hoping this isn't a design flaw(reading online about F150 owners having a horrible time with this issue). Just venting here,but really? a 50K$ car with 35 miles on it? Will take to dealership next week to have them look at this
Welcome to the Forum Tom.
This the first issue of this type that has been posted here. Curious to hear what, if anything the dealer finds.

Peter

Glad to hear that(so far)nobody has had this issue. I hope they resolve this without hassle. I didn't pay $50K that was the sticker price

My friend stopped over yesterday and he has a 2016 Limited like mine but his seats have WAY more foam on the seat cushion than mine. My guess is that's why imprints from by butt are clearly visible. His truck has over 40K on it and his seats look almost new. I think I'm going to have to live with it.

My friend stopped over yesterday and he has a 2016 Limited like mine but his seats have WAY more foam on the seat cushion than mine. My guess is that's why imprints from by butt are clearly visible. His truck has over 40K on it and his seats look almost new. I think I'm going to have to live with it.
Are both front seats the same? Just wondering if something may have been left out during the seat construction. If there is a Ford dealership nearby you could always compare a similar 2017 Explorer to yours.

Peter

When I take it in on Wednesday I'll ask him if any of the salespeople have been using one like mine for a demonstrater and look at the seats. I will say that the leather is thin and glove soft. I also have a ding on the passenger front door down by the plastic trim which could have happen in transport or who knows when and the plastic trim on the drivers door doesn't line up with the passenger door behind it. Small stuff but I'm very picky

When I take it in on Wednesday I'll ask him if any of the salespeople have been using one like mine for a demonstrater and look at the seats. I will say that the leather is thin and glove soft. I also have a ding on the passenger front door down by the plastic trim which could have happen in transport or who knows when and the plastic trim on the drivers door doesn't line up with the passenger door behind it. Small stuff but I'm very picky
Hi Tom. Just see if they will let you feel the seat cushions of one on the lot, if they have a similar model, just to see if it is the same as yours thickness wise. As for the alignment, my driver door is 'off' by about an 1/8" (low) but I haven't decided if I want it realigned yet. It is a lease so it's not something I'm 'stuck' with for a long time. I have a very small dent just below the body flare on the rear driver's side door courtesy of a parking lot issue. No paint damage and barely visible unless you're looking for it.

Peter

Went to the dealer and ALL the Explorers on the lot that have the perforated leather seats look like mine (strike 1), ALL the Explorers have the same door trim alignment issue so it must be the design of the door (strike 2), and no one in my area does PDR (paintless dent removal) . So I guess I'll live with these "cosmetic" issues.

I also have a ding on the passenger front door down by the plastic trim which could have happen in transport or who knows when and the plastic trim on the drivers door doesn't line up with the passenger door behind it. Small stuff but I'm very picky
You have every right to be picky! Document the damage and take pics for your own record.

Went to the dealer and ALL the Explorers on the lot that have the perforated leather seats look like mine (strike 1), ALL the Explorers have the same door trim alignment issue so it must be the design of the door (strike 2), and no one in my area does PDR (paintless dent removal) . So I guess I'll live with these "cosmetic" issues.

Ask the dealership to fix the ding for free as they have a policy if a customer sees a ding or anything else within a certain time frame. I picked my car up late after work when it was dark in February so I did not worry as I had 7 days to make sure everything was ok.
I posted that in some thread too. I have had the car for a little over a year and the drivers bottom seat, left side bolstering is already showing scars and I can see the lines of a kind of wear and tear. (probably because I position myself for a second when getting out of the vehicle) but its not cracked. I still not have had time to go over to the dealer to see what they say. I think that the only good news is that the bottom leather part could be replaceable without replacing the seat or even removing the whole seat. Why would the dealership not replace it if Ford pays them to do that under the 3 year warranty.

Unfortunately the 1 week time frame just passed. But no harm trying to see if it can be fixed without charge.

Peter

Most 'dentless repair shops' have mobile services.

Back