for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Driver's side back door won't open

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by wefa001, March 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wefa001

wefa001 New Member

City, State:
      Leesburg, VA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT AWD
      Driver's side back door won't open - PLEASE HELP

Hi All,
      I am having a problem with my back door on the driver's side. It won't open from the inside, nor from the automatic locks from the outside. You can hear the mechanism working, but the automatic lock won't pop up all the way. A few years back, when the vehicle was still under warranty they had to fix the other passenger door child locks. But at least you could open the door. I can't even open the door anyway.

Anyone have a guesstimate of how much this will cost me to get fixed? Maybe someone else has had this happen... Any suggestions would be appreciated.: Thanks ![

Last edited: March 18, 2002
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      Year and Model:
      1999 XLS
    4. wefa001

wefa001 New Member

City, State:
      Leesburg, VA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT AWD
      Thanks but that is not exactly my problem. I cant open the door from the inside or the outside.

5. 01EB5.0

01EB5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Allendale, MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
      my lock thing gets stuck down sometimes...pull up on the inside door lock thing while your trying to open the door.

6. wefa001

wefa001 New Member

City, State:
      Leesburg, VA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT AWD
      Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I took my Explorer to the dealership this morning. They had a very hard time opening the door and even sent it to their bodyshop who was able to get the door loose and another technician was able to open the door without any damage. Basically what they told me was the left rear door latch broke which caused the actuator to break in the locked position. So they are replacing the actuator and the latch as we speak.

I am just so happy they were able to get the door opened.