Drivers side speaker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side speaker

Michowski

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xls
The speaker on my drivers side right now cut's in and out. Sometimes when it cuts out, I turn just flick the volume up and it comes back on. Other times it is completely off. Sometimes it will stay on and play ok. I just in the past 20 minutes put Type R replacements all around. Checked all the connections, did not see anything wrong. No cut wires or anything. Anybody else ever have this happen? It used to be fine and never had an issue and then all the sudden it did.

It's gotta be a wire in the harness. I had the entire door pulled apart and was holding the speaker plugged in. Just wiggling the wires I could get it to cut in and out. I initially thought it was in the plug, bought an adapter so I wouldn't have to cut any wires. I cut it and soldered the wires directly but it still does it. Looks like the entire wire needs to be replaced to fix it properly

I had the same issue in my 04 before I traded it. I ended up running new wiring to the driver's door from under the dash to fix it. There was no continuity between the OE plug in the door and the OE plug in the dash, and no obvious place I was able to find where the wire was broken.

I’d suspect the door hinge first.

Back