• Register Today It's free!

Driving sounds

SilverBullet

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0
Okay, so this might be an odd question.. but maybe not.

When you are driving down the road, and you are driving along a wall of some sort.. should you be able to hear engine noise? I'm not really sure how to describe it.. but how would you be able to tell "regular" driving noise from the noise of an exhust leak or something else.. I just feel like my 5.0 X is noisy as I drive.. like, when I give a little gas a drop a gear to accelerate, I can hear it..

Like I said, a silly question..

Yes thats perfectly normal because the sound is echo'ing off the wall.
It sounds pretty cool with flowmasters, haha.

I think I have you sound you do. Sort of like a ticking noise? I hear it against gaurd rails and things of that nature. I think its the manifolds leaking, although I'm not 100% sure and too lazy to replace them to find out.

You guys are probably just the famous 5.0 passenger side exhaust ticking (more when the sound bounces directly back to you from the wall). It is usually unavoidable, and I've learned to live with it, even though mine is becoming much more pronounced now that I have 102k on the clock. you can try to tighten the bolts, replace the headers/gaskets/exhaust manifold. That is expensive, so usually the only solution that I have seen (decently priced) is just to replace them with FMS or aftermarket headers for a new exhaust setup.

Back