and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

driving with out front drive shaft????

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jlrapp8, November 13, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jlrapp8

jlrapp8 Active Member

Year and Model:
      2002 mercury mountaineer
      OK so i have an 02 mountaineer AWD 4.0L i had to remove the front drive shaft to diagnois a problem. i believe the vairious coupling in transfer case went out. my question is WIll IT HARM THE CAR DRIVING WITHOUT FRONT DRIVE SHAFT FOR A FEW MONTHS UNTIL I GET MONEY TO FIX IT. IM GOING ON A TRIP ITS ONLY ABOUT A 350 MILE DRIVE. BUT I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF ITS GOING TO HARM THE CAR????? THANKS

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. my pos mounty

my pos mounty Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Land of Corruption
      Year and Model:
      06 F-350
      Short answer is, no, it wont harm your Mounty driving around without the front driveshaft. BUT, try this: Find a hill, park truck at the top, but dont get out. Sit in truck for a good 15 minutes or so. The truck has probably moved downhill (the reason why you are still in it). If you do this temporary mod, set your parking brake every time you get out of the truck, and all will be fine.

4. ummduh

ummduh Member

City, State:
      Napa, CA
      Year and Model:
      03 Explorer 4dr kiddykar
      I drove around for at least 6 months without the front driveshaft.

I only put it back in because we were driving across the country and the posibility for snow was up there.

I saw NO ill effects. Heck I saw NO positive effects, either, though. (Well the surge from the mis-matched tires went away, but replacing the tires fixed it too )

5. Limited02

Limited02 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      Year and Model:
      '02 Limited V8
      Mine has been out for a month or so. No problems and if anything, I feel like I gained 100HP because it's so easy to spin the tires. But the weather is starting to turn to crap so it's going back in. Also, check to make sure your u-joints are not going bad. After I took mine off, I noticed the front one is bad;)

6. zerodevil

zerodevil Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Anchorage, AK
      Year and Model:
      2003 XLT V8.
      lol dumb question, how can you tell when the U-joint is bad? mine didnt look funky or anything lol. ANYWHO, yeah i have ran mine all summer w/o mine, these things REALY like to break the back tires loose lol.

7. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      Year and Model:
      97 Explorer XLT
      I took my 97 out more than four years ago when I had to replace the starter at the side of the road in a snowstorm. Never made it back. Sold the car a few years ago and just asked the guy last week if he ever put it in. No and he doesn't think he will.

My transfer case was near empty due to a rear seal. No visable signs of a leak but was real funky on turns. Recovered without further problems after refill.

Last edited: November 26, 2009
    8. gforceman

gforceman Active Member

City, State:
      Virginia beach VA
      Year and Model:
      2003 limited 4.6 V8
      so... if i removed my front driveshaft out of my 03 4wd expo .. it will be a 2wd truck , with no affect or warning lights , and wont feel anything when it engages ... sheese im shocked it doesnt break under heavy load its so small compaired to the rear one, i also have seen the front diffs broken in half on those 3 gens ( when i worked for ford at one point )

9. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      Year and Model:
      '02 Limited V8
      All I did was spin the little cap on the u-joint and one was rough when turning it. There are 4 caps, 2 you can access, 2 you have to take clip out in order to get to them. Mine has 118,000 miles on it and I am going to replace them for the peace of mind.

Yeah you should be fine. No lights or anything funky feeling, just having the rear kick around on you when you are not careful;) After driving it in the rain, I am glad that I have auto 4x4 because it will spin easily if you are a little hard on the throttle. Winter is coming and we are supposed to have rain/snow this weekend plus I have people to haul around, so I need to get it back in tomorrow.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. benwen 99 explo

benwen 99 explo New Member

City, State:
      memphis tn.
      Year and Model:
      99 ford explorer
      what about that ugly looking joint in the front of the t/c??if i take out the front drive shaft will anything leak out??

11. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      Year and Model:
      '02 Limited V8
      If you are referring to your '99, you should be fine as well. I know a member Techiman33 drove for a long time with his 2nd gen without a front driveshaft.

The only issue would be if you are AWD, then I would advise against removing the front driveshaft because it could allow the vehicle to roll even though it's in park.

12. pet575

pet575 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City, MO
      Year and Model:
      2004 Limited
      Actually not true. I've had the front out of my AWD for nearly 2 years and I never had that issue. I even had a point in time where my parking brake was not working all that well and it never rolled.

13. roush9799

roush9799 Active Member

Year and Model:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      Yes they will roll. My cousin has his out and has found it at the bottom of hills a few times since. He sometimes forgets to set the brake.

14. pet575

pet575 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City, MO
      Year and Model:
      2004 Limited
      I don't question the truth of your statement, but I question whether the true cause is removal of the front driveshaft. Sounds to me like there is something else going on with his vehicle, whether that be the transfer case or the transmission itself.

All I can go by is my experience, and my vehicle has NEVER moved with the front driveshaft removed.

15. danursry

danursry New Member

City, State:
      cottonwood,ca.
      Year and Model:
      2002 ford explorer
      I've had my front driveline out for almost 4 years now,due to to my explorer not wanting to come out of 4x4 high.i have never liked touch drive 4x4.i prefer the stick on the floor as opposed to a button.my question is,how do i get the front differential out of 4x4 high and back to awd.if you have ever felt this you will know the difference.4x4 high is actually really cool in my explorer,climbs like crazy,but a pain in the ass to run all the time not to mention very hard on the vehicle.im stuck on what i should do to correct the problem,any answers or others with the same problem?