Dusy Ershim trail run Summer 2015 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dusy Ershim trail run Summer 2015

Here are the opening dates and source.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5326322.pdf

image.jpg1_zpszyqclcle.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsf5ur0u6o.jpg

image.jpg1_zpswxyubhro.jpg

Link to open/closed status page.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/home/?cid=stelprdb5315989

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Courtright to Thompson Lake. Stay a few days and then come back out. Last trip I did was 2003 with some of the Mountain Toppers club. I have been trying to get back but life keeps getting in the way.

Then you have missed the most beautiful part of the trail. The 1/3 of the trail from Kaiser pass to Ershim lake is very scenic. Been there several times. The section between Thompson and Ershim is not very difficult and not as scenic. Still a great trail. Probably my favorite.

You have been thru the most difficult part though. Thompson hill can really take it out of you. If I wansn't already looking at a 3 week trip to the Pacific NW I'd be up there with you.

A friend of mine is planning on a trip up there soon. I'll ask him when it is and link you to him. Maybe you can join in on his adventure.

Dan

Then you have missed the most beautiful part of the trail. The 1/3 of the trail from Kaiser pass to Ershim lake is very scenic. Been there several times. The section between Thompson and Ershim is not very difficult and not as scenic. Still a great trail. Probably my favorite.

You have been thru the most difficult part though. Thompson hill can really take it out of you. If I wansn't already looking at a 3 week trip to the Pacific NW I'd be up there with you.

A friend of mine is planning on a trip up there soon. I'll ask him when it is and link you to him. Maybe you can join in on his adventure.

Dan

Going August 4-8th. :D How much fuel did you burn. I am thinking of topping off in Shaver and carrying 5 gallons. That will give me 28 gallons.

I can tell you that of any trail I have ever run this one sucks the most fuel. Defiantly top off at Shaver. If you are going in thru Courtright Reservoir I'd even suggest topping off at Dinky Creek (37.067561, -119.156791). It will take you less than a mile out of your way, but the extra gallon or 2 could make the difference. If you have the room I'd consider bringing 2 - 5 gal cans.

On the Kaiser end there is a gas station over by the boat docks at Huntington Lake (37.253490, -119.165642), but you got to get there during business hours.

I came off the trail in the snow once, burned more fuel fighting the snow. Running low, but made it to the Huntington gas station. There's an out of gas sign, they send me to the store. They have fuel for themselves, but would only sell five gallons. Me telling them that wouldn't get me to Shaver didn't do any good, I told them I wouldn't get over Tamarack Ridge. My fuel pickup is in the front of the tank, going up hill it can be up out of the remaining fuel. I ran out, and others that came off the Dusy behind me stopped and gave me gas. The others in my group had ran off and left me.

...I heard Fred was up there clearing the trail this weekend...:popcorn:

Saw a bunch of jeeps including the Currie Jeep heading south on 395 above Bishop, Saturday morning.

...Yea...I was suppose to be up with the group they were with...

...Everyone was coming back from Jeepers Jamboree at the Rubicon...Some of that group are heading to Sturgis for the 75th anniversary this weekend...

...It seems I keep missing out on all the cool trips do to work..:D

...But please take plenty of pics and share with us...We need more rec wheeling pics around here...:biggthump

We need more rec wheeling pics around here...:biggthump

That is truth. I try to post some. Just with my ranger having two seats and being a family of three it ends ends up we take the Jeep so we all go, or I go by myself in the ranger and don't have a photographer.

Maybe I need to build the explorer so we all can go in a RBV.

Back