Dyno Tune Results | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dyno Tune Results

Spindle they where unaware that my truck had any fuel delivery issues. I thought it was a lean a/f mixture.

They were really sort of put off by dynoing an X, but don't get me wrong they were super helpful and did all they could to get it right. 13 Dyno runs was pretty good for a 2.5 hour stint. They specialize in Supercharged V8 Mustangs and hi mod drag cars so a V6 Explorer really didn't get them excited.

Al, the transfer case most definately takes horsepower, especially with automatic 4 wheel like I have. First run on the dyno the rears slipped and the front pulled- so we just pulled the front drive shaft.

We need someone else with 4x4 dyno numbers to post. It seems unlikely that the Auto 4 wheel drive wouldn't send any power to the front diff. As I said I was surprised when he hit the gas strapped to the dyno and both axles engaged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yomie said:
I'm not trying to get into this argument, but the t-case does come into play as there is NO 2WD mode on the '97 up 4x4 explorer, it is Control Trac 4WD and the onboard computer does engage the the magnetic clutch for the front output sending power to the front wheels.
His front drive shaft was removed, this is not an argument yomie, granted perhaps the T-case sucks a little, but with the shaft removed not much

AWD Dyno what is that going to do? Give a hp reading for each set of axles? Makes sense but I do not know of anyone who has a 4 wheel dyno?

Spindle the computer still sends information to the transfer case and divides the power as it see's fit.

Your numbers ( HP and Torque ) seem out of whack to me. You make very low HP and HUGE torque numbers.

I too would like to see the dyno graph; please post it.

As Al just said your numbers are wack and not possible, why can you not post the graphs?
so be it, you make 160 RWHP, 220 lbs TQ, done deal

What do you mean Whack and not possible?? I will post the graph. Spindle this debate is not concluded until someone with a 4x4 posts there dyno results as well. They will definately get different than a 2 wheel drive guy, it is an automatic system and who knows when it comes on.

As Aldive said you need a 4 wheel drive dyno to measure hp at both axles.

Here is my Graph

I can't!!

I know you make like 198 hp and 220lb of Torque mine should be the same in hp, as it is close to you in torque.

What the "F" is the problem then?

Lazz
You have tons of problems over the past 4 weeks, good luck

Your so dramatic Mr. Hollywood- "Tons of problems"

I have had one problem fuel and it takes a long time to drill down and discount things without replacing everything.

Get real Spindle.

I doubt know Al, I was not over their shoulders the whole time. I just stepped back, watched and let them do there thing. I assume with fuel curves and timing.

Are you saying that they reflashed your computer? Do you have a custom tune?

Why not do the brown wire mod and run it again on the dyno. This will stop the computer from sending the signal to engage the transfer case when the rear wheels slip and then you will know exactly how much the transfer case was pulling as well as the correct RWHP numbers on your X.

Lazzman said:
Your so dramatic Mr. Hollywood- "Tons of problems"

I have had one problem fuel and it takes a long time to drill down and discount things without replacing everything.

Get real Spindle.

I doubt know Al, I was not over their shoulders the whole time. I just stepped back, watched and let them do there thing. I assume with fuel curves and timing.
Get real Mr Hollywood? read your posts of the past two mos lazzman

Why you being a jerk spindle? Isn't this site here to give and get help. You must have lots of time on your hands if you can keep track of all my posts, guess the bounty huntin business ain't to good, huh?

With a difference of 12hp or so from 3300rpm to 5500rpm and look how sharply the torque falls off. I definately think something is wrong. I thought of the brown wire mode and it definately is a good suggestion, but with hp curves that funky something else is wrong.

I have a custom tune with a Diablo Chip running the show.

Several things come to my simple mind:

(1) did you discuss your belief that something was wrong with your "experts"?

(2) how did they reprogram your chip?

When I went to these guys I was convinced it was an a/f problem which they confirmed was true as I was running around 15:1 at wot.

I had been to the dealer a week or so before and they went over the truck thoroughly. Test drove it, scanned it on the test scanner got the O2 readouts etc...

The tech said nothing was wrong with it and the fuel pressure was in spec, but who's spec? According to a Brand new Ford dealer with all the latest scanning equipment my truck checked out.

I spent three hours at the dyno on Saturday and an hour each way to drive there. Wasn't thrilled with the hp numbers I turned or the performance on the ride home- though it seemed a bit better than it was. I was making 12 more hp at the wheels. After about three hours of driving and evaluating I realize again that the problem isn't solved.

But now I have proof, my dyno chart. There is no way in the world anycar with a decent engine is going to make a 15hp difference from 3300-6000rpm. Something is way wrong, I compared them to your charts Al and yours are totaly different.

The question is: Why isn't my engine making increased HP through the rpm range? There is no HP curve, its totaly flat.

What would cause this? Lack of fuel perhaps? To much Fuel? Low fuel pressure?

The chip was programmed on his laptop after he ran three to four stock dyno tunes and got the a/f ratio correct.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At WOT you should be running rich. The 02s cut out and you go back into open loop which will cause longer pulse widths. I would try to find a spec on what the a/f ratio should be at WOT. 15:1 is ok, but you may want to double check

-Drew

Back