EcoBoost 2.3L noise around 30 MPH when accel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EcoBoost 2.3L noise around 30 MPH when accel

GT500,

Thanks for the another thought.

But the noise(vibrating sound) is from the front bottom.

But i get that high pitch sound(like air coming inside) on driver side window tho.
I will check the side mirror and update you.

Thanks

Could also be your side mirrors.
Fold your mirrors in, drive around at those speeds and see if you still hear the noise.

A member on here (including myself) are hearing high pitch noises from our side mirrors as the air is passing through the gap between mirror housing and top cap.
I didn't get mine "fixed" yes, as I'm not happy with them applying a silicone sealant in the gap and will come up with a better resolution myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there another forum we can spread this out to trigger Ford?
What do you think?

Got it back today but we're still stuck on this.

@jaelee0618, have you gotten your car into the dealer yet? If these problems get logged often enough it'll probably trigger someone's attention in Michigan if our dealers can't crack it.

"Front bottom" is how I ascertain it too. Perhaps in the transmission tunnel. I know the center stack should be easy to dismantle, so I may do that today or tomorrow to find anything loose.

Mine seems to do it, at least today, between 2500-3000 RPM. Really bad today with the heat... frustrating.

As it was explained to me, Ford pays decent attention to the OASIS problem reports/logs. Enough of the same concern will bring in extra scrutiny.

Just gonna have to keep doing what I'm doing and wait for the rest. Today I also tried to "shim" the cowl from moving around... no luck. That wasn't the source of the noise.

Is there another forum we can spread this out to trigger Ford?
What do you think?
Ford doesn't read the Forums. The Ford reps may but they don't report to 'Ford'. Do you have a factory tow package?

Peter

I dont think its just the loose screw. They coundnt make a same mistake..haha.
I also think there are more car which has this issue.

I really want to put Go Pro or something under neat... what do we do...

"Front bottom" is how I ascertain it too. Perhaps in the transmission tunnel. I know the center stack should be easy to dismantle, so I may do that today or tomorrow to find anything loose.

Mine seems to do it, at least today, between 2500-3000 RPM. Really bad today with the heat... frustrating.

As it was explained to me, Ford pays decent attention to the OASIS problem reports/logs. Enough of the same concern will bring in extra scrutiny.

Just gonna have to keep doing what I'm doing and wait for the rest. Today I also tried to "shim" the cowl from moving around... no luck. That wasn't the source of the noise.

what is Tow package? Haha

Ford doesn't read the Forums. The Ford reps may but they don't report to 'Ford'. Do you have a factory tow package?

Peter

The more I process this, the more I think the exhaust is somehow at fault... I feel like it's vibrating hard against the floor pan.

Gonna have to see if the dealer can indulge my theory next week...

I just spent a couple of hours tearing apart the Explorer. I removed trim pieces for both sides of the trans tunnel, under the passenger dash, under the driver's wheel area, pulled out the APIM, ACM, and FCDIM (essentially center stack components). Only found one piece that MIGHT have been causing the noise, but even then, seemed unlikely. Stablized it, but no luck.

At this point, it feels underneath the car rather than in the cabin. Either a motor mount isn't doing its job or there's an exhaust NVH issue. It feels like it's coming from the approximate area of the flex pipe.

Does it sound like a metallic rattle?
(I've been able to recreate what I hear as a metallic rattle going up a steep hill in a tall gear, before it downshifts)

Almost sounds like plastic more than metal, but I can't say that it isn't metal... what it sounds like is in the clip on the first post.

Also should mention that I taped the cowl today... no change.

Wow! You took apart some of it? I have no guts to do that yet. For me sometimes sound like a metal. but sometimes plastic.
I get that when I am at 4th or 5th gear pushing steady 1,400 ~ 1,700 rpm around @ 3~40mph.

I just spent a couple of hours tearing apart the Explorer. I removed trim pieces for both sides of the trans tunnel, under the passenger dash, under the driver's wheel area, pulled out the APIM, ACM, and FCDIM (essentially center stack components). Onl

Yep, took apart as much as I could. Most of it snaps apart, some of it requires some unbolting...

Gonna talk to the dealer tomorrow and see what else we can do. If you haven't been to the dealer, please do so to get more of these problems on file with Ford. They will take notice of trends within the OASIS tool.

It's very heat sensitive. We had a couple of 90 degree days where the noise has been especially brutal. Cooler temperatures, not so much.

Does it sound like a metallic rattle?
(I've been able to recreate what I hear as a metallic rattle going up a steep hill in a tall gear, before it downshifts)

Is it one of those high fuel delivery/remain in high gear situations? Once in a while I'll do a bit of a pull where it'll stay in 5/6 up a slight grade and have an additional noise like fuel running at high pressure, almost like two metal pieces are rubbing together very quietly. I think it's a direct injection thing if so, our Focus (16) does the same thing under load.

So the noise has been getting progressively worse over the last few days. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Sadly it seems like the next step is to remove the entire dash. I already feel bad enough for the technician stuck with this nightmare job.

Mine does not go worse yet. Still the same setting. I guess I will go next saturday and drive around with the mechanic so i can get that noise. Thank you Franchise for your update.
My CR-v has unbalanced drive shaft(propeller) which make it 4WD. it makes vibrating noise. I know this because i replaced that drive shaft with third party item. It makes noise @ steady 2k rpm. Do you think this relates to our Explorer?

It could be the driveshaft heading back to the PTU, but I have no idea how to rule it in or out. I lean against it because the vibration happens at a certain engine speed, but not driveline/speedometer speed.

All I know is that under load is where this thing comes to play--I coasted down a hill at my problematic RPM and the car was slient. Right now, my money is on a motor mount not doing its job. It gets so bad in hotter ambient temps that it rattles the floorboard, center console, and gas pedal.

The noise I hear reminds of a loose heat shield I used to have on my 88 M3 over the catalytic converter. Some welds came apart so it would rattle on top of the catalytic converter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't think so.

Car is back at the dealer now, right now I have an Overcompensation Edition F150 EcoBoost.

I miss my Explorer.

Back