• Register Today It's free!

Electric fan control from pcm?

Doubt Incarnate

Reaction score
City, State
"Franktucky", Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
I know it has to be there, its the only thing stopping me from swapping to an electric fan. just because the explorer has a driven fan doesnt mean they deleted the pins for the fan control on the pcm. What pins would i be looking for? and if they are inactive, can i turn them on with a tuner?

i dont like the in-the-hose-temp-bulb setup some fan controls come with and dont want to spend the $$$ on a fan control otherwise if the brains are there for it. if not i might have to start reading up on electronics and visit radioshack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the 110 PCM pinout diagram for your 99 truck.
I dont think your 99 Explorer computer will have the pins for the E fan control

But let us know what you find out.

The diagram will tell you where it should be, if your computer has a pin in that location you may be golden, but you will still have to run the signal wire.

410Fortune said:
You need the 110 PCM pinout diagram for your 99 truck.
I dont think your 99 Explorer computer will have the pins for the E fan control

But let us know what you find out.

The diagram will tell you where it should be, if your computer has a pin in that location you may be golden, but you will still have to run the signal wire.

and relays and such... the signal wire your talking about is to turn the fan on right? i shouldnt have to run one for the temp signal since the pcm already has one to control timing and fuel... at least it better. i'm about to pull my decrepid library card out and look at some stuff there. i'll be sure to post any findings be it good or bad news.

I highly doubt there will be any control for that.

didnt find much. the library didnt have anything on Ex's. i did find a listing of pinouts of the eec-v for a 97 5.0 awd on the net, and i have a ford cd from ebay (cars, not trucks). it seems most of pins on the eec from the 97 ex and the 95 crown vic are similar, both are 104 pin. the vic uses pin 28 as "cooling fan control" and the on the Ex it is not used. i might go out later today or probly next week with a circut tester (haha, fancy name for a light bulb isnt it?) and see if i can get a signal of off pin 28 IF its not already used by the sohc or the 5r55e.

bummer. that shoots the "pin 28" down. figures the automatic would be there.
thanks for the info!

Back