Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Electrical problem: Gauges don't work.

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Superstar RX7, May 10, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Superstar RX7

Superstar RX7 New Member

City, State:
      Rapid City South Dakota
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 Explorer Sport
      None of my gauges or warning lights work and there are no blown fuses, I checked them with a multimeter. There is power to the fuse in the fuse box. I got the entire dash apart and I can't find anything wrong. I did get the battery light to come on when I turn the key forward but don't start the engine. The check engine light doesn't come on, and none of the gauges work except the speedometer of course. Why is my Explorer being such a whore? I'm ready to drive this think off a cliff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Superstar RX7

Superstar RX7 New Member

City, State:
      Rapid City South Dakota
      '94 Explorer Sport
      Anyone have any ideas?

4. Superstar RX7

Superstar RX7 New Member

City, State:
      Rapid City South Dakota
      '94 Explorer Sport
      Someone throw me a line please. This all happened all at once. Besides the fuse, which I already checked, is there anything that all the gauges and dummy lights have in common? The Haynes manual doesn't seem to have many detailed schematics. I'm trying to acquire a factory service manual, but in the mean time, I'm desperately hoping someone on here has some info.

5. bipolarbob

bipolarbob B

City, State:
      Kelowna,British Columbia,Canada
      91 Eddie Bauer
      You said you took all the guages out.....and they are not working.....they won't untill you put them back in.Try that and let us know.

6. Superstar RX7

Superstar RX7 New Member

City, State:
      Rapid City South Dakota
      '94 Explorer Sport
      Come on, I know the gauges won't work if they are removed. I have some common sense, I'm an aircraft mechanic. I took them out after they stopped working. I went through with my multimeter checking for continuity and power. I didn't find anything so I put them back in, and the only thing that changed is that the battery light comes on when I turn the key to the run position and the engine isn't running. But the check engine light won't come on, the seat belt light won't come on, the e-brake light won't come on when the brake is set, the ABS light won't come on for 3 seconds like it used to. The only thing that works normal is the battery light, turn signals, high beam indicator, gauge backlighting and speedometer (which is mechanical). The Tach, oil pressure, coolant temp, volt meter, and fuel gauge do not move. It just happened out of the blue. It still runs normal, just don't know how much gas I have. Last night I turned the engine off and I heard 5 short beeps from under the dash. Any idea as to what that is? I turn the engine on and back off to see if I could hear it again and find out where it is coming from. That time I only heard 1 beep. It hasn't happened since then.

Any other advice?

7. bipolarbob

bipolarbob B

City, State:
      91 Eddie Bauer
      :( Geez I was just trying to be funny and bump your thread for you.I didn't want to offend.... :eek:

8. bipolarbob

bipolarbob B

City, State:
      91 Eddie Bauer
      This site is getting too big.It used to be really good for getting help, but now your thread is lost in a sea of them....no one answers.

9. Superstar RX7

Superstar RX7 New Member

City, State:
      Rapid City South Dakota
      '94 Explorer Sport
      I ordered a CD that should have more info than the Haynes manual. Until it arrives I guess I'm stuck with this problem.

The RX-7 forum that I am a member of is the largest for rotary engine enthusiast with over 44,000 members and it has an endless supply of knowledge. I wouldn't think that a forum growing larger would cause problems. Maybe nobody has seen a problem like this on an Explorer. I don't know, thanks for the help though.

10. kcnz

kcnz New Member

City, State:
      Loveland, CO
      2003 4.8 EB
      Have you tried AllData's web site? That might be where you ordered the CD from. if you go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/ you can purchase a subscription. It ussually has common problems listed and how to solve them. It's basicly a repair manual online. It can be kind of spendy if you don't use it frequently 24.95 and then 15 a year after that. I have found that it has helped in a few of my previouse vehicles.

I don't know a lot about what your driving. I'm pretty sure all the guages run off of voltage. Get the wiring diagram out of your haynes manual and see if there's any voltage readings going into the guage from the wire connectors and if there isn't work yourself backwards. Eventually you'll end up at the computer and then after that It's either the computer or somethin related. Like I said, don't know a lot about it, just trying to give you ideas.

11. kcnz

kcnz New Member

City, State:
      Loveland, CO
      2003 4.8 EB
      I got to thinking, it is probably a bad ground somewhere. That would make the most sense anyway. I don't think the signal for the fuel guage even goes through the computer in that year. That would eliminate the computer. If you have a voltmeter, look at the wiring diagrams and check to make sure there isn't a short in a ground somewhere. I don't know what to tell you, other then a lot of probing with a voltmeter. It can't be difficult to find, just a lot of time and patience and working backwards.

12. Superstar RX7

Superstar RX7 New Member

City, State:
      Rapid City South Dakota
      '94 Explorer Sport
      I looked through the Haynes and the wiring diagrams only show engine and chassis wiring. It doesn't get into the pin outs for the gauges or any of the switches. The push button 4WD switch doesn't work either, which is strange. That switch and the gauges all run through the same fuse. The fuse isn't broken and there is power at the pins for the fuse. The wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual for my RX-7 doesn't show much detail either. I got the factory service manual for it and it shows almost every wire in the car. Thanks for that web site. It does look like it could be spendy. I don't have many problems with my Explorer, although it seems like it wants to start giving me problems. I'll keep that site in mind if I can't get good info off the CD I ordered.

13. sqhurt

sqhurt Active Member

City, State:
      ohio
      93 sport & 4 door
      hey rx7 was wondering if you ever figured this out? I'm have the same exact problem to the t, any suggestions or help would be a greaat help man... having problems with both my vehicles an its driving me nuts.. thanks

14. kqodprez

kqodprez New Member

City, State:
      Chicago IL
      1993 Explorer Limited
      Reviving an old thread....

This is exactly what's happening with my explorer. Does anyone have ANY insight on this problem? No gauges work except for speedo, 4x4 doesn't work, no dummy lights when starting...I'm out of ideas! Someone please help...thanks.

15. kqodprez

kqodprez New Member

City, State:
      Chicago IL
      1993 Explorer Limited
      I also noticed that the auto lights and dimmer on the rear view mirror where out. Does anyone have a clue what the hell happened?

16. slothynoob

slothynoob New Member

Frod Explorer
      Hello i have the exact same problem with my explorer. i was wondering if any of you have figured out the problem

17. buzzard73

buzzard73 New Member

City, State:
      Tacoma, Washington
      2004 Ford Explorer NBX
      I have a similar problem, but none of my gauges work...windows don't work, automatic lights don't work, I have a blown fuse but it blows out every time I put a new one in. door wires are ok now, and I removed the alarm and the radio...still down.

18. Dhensley

Dhensley New Member

City, State:
      Pa
      02 explorer xlt
      Has anyone ever figured out why they are doing this? Mine has just started doing this yesterday!