Electrical Problems?

invaliduser

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey,

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with 100k miles on it. It's been great but recently had some random issues sprout up.

Not sure if it was a coincidence or because jumper cables were reversed accidentally on my car to the other car needing the jump. They stayed connected incorrectly on my end for about 10 mississippis before it was caught and corrected. My car was the one doing the jump for the dead car.

I'm hoping it's coincidence because these two problems were kind of there beforehand, however it seems to be worse now but maybe I'm just paranoid.

1 - My left turn signal acts up. Sometimes it works perfectly fine, sometimes the rear light won't flash but the front will flash super fast. Sometimes I can hear the relay click super fast like the bulb was out but no flashing arrow on the instrument cluster. If I push on the stalk forward a bit to almost engage the high beam the flashing arrow shows up again on the cluster.

Before this jump incident the rear might not flash happened randomly once in a while.
I will try to replace the rear bulb and hopefully this will make it go away.

2 - My front left ABS sensor was acting funny at below 5-10mph coming to a stop. It would always engage and the car would pull to the right when stopping. I changed the hub and sensor out with a Raybestos one and the problem stopped. Now it seems like my front right one is doing the same. (Haven't gotten to confirm it is this side yet as I don't drive it much)
Is this common for these to die around this age? There is no ABS light or any other lights on.

Any ideas on if the jump attempt damaged any of this or is just random stuff wearing out?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bulb going out...maybe, it sounds to me like your multi-function switch is on the way out or the connections are broken.

The fact that when you push on the stalk cause it to do odd things makes me say that you should open up the trim on the column and look at it.

I'll bet it's loose.

Almost surely the multifunction switch as Mas Tequila suggested.

Thanks for the info, makes me feel a bit better that didn't mess the electronics up.

I'll throw a bulb in there, cheap enough to try. If not then I'll grab a switch. The switch is the entire stalk assembly right?
I did have to replace my mirror switch about 2 years ago. Didn't work at all on one side and didn't work properly on the other. Swapped out with a switch from ebay and has been working fine. Other than the color fade on the switch which my switch didn't have.

I guess I'll have to do the other hub now. What's the consensus on reusing the axle nut here? I've read before on other vehicles that it's a one time use item. I ended up sourcing one from a dealer and it was $20

I’d not reuse it. They are a few bucks at an auto store. All of my hubs cane with them.

Alright I changed the bulb and it's still all kinds of weird like the switch isn't working. Now I'm curious about buying a switch off ebay. I'm assuming they don't make new switches anymore and what I'm buying is somebody else's old switch from their old explorer considering these are getting to almost 20 years old now. Won't I just end up with the same issue again?

Buy from either rockauto or Amazon. I replaced both hub assys on my explorer with abs sensors for under $60, and replaced my multi function switch for $60

I buy a lot of stuff off eBay. Never had any real problem with the parts, I've occasionally had problems with the sellers, but eBay has always taken care of any problems.

I sometimes buy on Amazon (I get Prime free shipping) and I sometimes buy from RockAuto. I don't like RA's shipping charges and if the parts you're ordering end up shipping from multiple warehouses, you get hit with double shipping charges. If I'm buying something I need today, some minor part, or if it's something that may not work/need I buy it locally to make returns easier.

Price plus shipping is what I look at first and I don't by cheap parts for major repairs. Everybody sells pretty much the same stuff. I rarely buy Motorcraft parts from anyone (way overpriced) but it's something like SOHC V6 engine parts I spring for the Motorcraft.

I bought some bulbs and tried that. The bulb is still good, the new bulb doesn't work and the bulb from the other side doesn't work.
Would this switch affect the bulb's ability to turn on even when the brake pedal is depressed? It also does not flash from the hazard lights.

The running light does work though.

All power goes thru that switch because it diverts power to the flashing relay for a blinker or straight to the fuse and bulb for brakes.

Ok thank you. I'm still waiting for the switch to come in from Rockauto, hope the install isn't too hard.

I'm hoping to do the hub and the switch at the same time.

It's not bad, the hardest part is getting the plastic around the column off. If you have a tilt column you'll want to tilt it all the way down then unscrew the tilt lever (normal right handed threads). You'll need a Philips screwdriver and a T20 torx.

I just got the switch installed today. The funkiness with having to juggle the switch to make it left signal is gone, however my rear left light still will not work as a brake light or a turn signal.

What's up with that?

Actually jiggling it again makes it behave and misbehave.

I took it all apart again and find the blue with white stripe wire sticking out further than the others on the top plug. It's the one that's closest to the driver side a pillar.

Pushing it in makes it work letting it fall out gives me my problem. The wire won't click back into the clip.
I'm wondering if I can just electrical tape it down and hope it holds
Why the heck would this one wire pop out randomly?

There’s probably a tab on the connector that locks it in place.

Pull the wire out and take a pic and post it.

Pull the wire out and take a pic and post it.

That wire I am holding. I ended up using some electrical tape to pressure it forward so it won't back out. Lights work fine now!
Looks like the retaining clip that holds that wire in the clip broke or something. I don't understand why it would break on it's own though

Don't mind the other broken tab. it was cold out so all the plastic was super brittle. moving the switch after undoing the two screws ended up putting too much strain on that and snapped it

27337036_10155608792218611_3960990486193023218_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have tilt wheel? If so that probably explains how/why the clip broke.

Back