Elessar65's new Project: SAS rebuild | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Elessar65's new Project: SAS rebuild

Well, I got the interior finished today. Made a panel out of some sheet metal for the holes in the trans tunnel. Got the TC shift boot on there. The dash is back together. Everything looks pretty good, just have to work on the rest of it now. Took it for a little drive today and realized there is a lot of work ahead of me. The steering is all out of whack, the shifter is a little funny and I can't figure it out. The tranny or TC was making a banging noise for a min when I started down the road, and as I was coming back the oil pressure went bye bye. I think/hope its the gauge though. Don't have anymore pics yet. Got frustrated and called it a day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like just a little work:D. When are you trying to get this thing done by, maybe a Tuttle testing day in June. I should have my transfer case in within the next few weeks and it will need a shakedown before smorr.

Sounds like just a little work:D. When are you trying to get this thing done by, maybe a Tuttle testing day in June. I should have my transfer case in within the next few weeks and it will need a shakedown before smorr.

Good question... I would say I am trying to get it done in time for SMORR. Although at this point as long as its semi safe to drive that far and make it home I will be happy, even if all I get to do with it is drive around the ranch road. Something like this is never done though. I will still be working on this years from now.

Tuttle? aren't you south somewhere for the summer? Since its in Wichita it might be easier to find a place down there. Of course I have no idea where you are, so who knows?

Good question... I would say I am trying to get it done in time for SMORR. Although at this point as long as its semi safe to drive that far and make it home I will be happy, even if all I get to do with it is drive around the ranch road. Something like this is never done though. I will still be working on this years from now.

Tuttle? aren't you south somewhere for the summer? Since its in Wichita it might be easier to find a place down there. Of course I have no idea where you are, so who knows?

I'm close to KC, so Tuttle is 2 hours and KSrocks is a little over an hour, is there anything close to Wichita to test it out at.

I'm close to KC, so Tuttle is 2 hours and KSrocks is a little over an hour, is there anything close to Wichita to test it out at.

Idk, Tuttle is probably the best choice, its more tame than KS Rocks, and we know the trails.

Got some pics of the finished interior today. Was over there trying to figure out the oil pressure issue. Idk whats up with it. 40psi at idle cold, then as it warms up it drops to near zero at idle. Maybe 30-40psi when its revved. Its got plenty of oil, I changed it today and added a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. The filter is good. Its 10w30 in it now. Even with the Lucas in it didn't make a difference as far as presure goes. Since that will thicken up the oil a bit it makes me think that the problem isn't excessive clearances in the bearings. Maybe the oil pump relief is sticking, or the pickup is clogged or doesn't have enough clearance between it and the pan. Or its not on right and is sucking air. It runs fine, and doesn't seem like it makes any noise compared to any other flat tappet engine. I am stumped.

Anyways, on to the pics of the inside.
2r4se2f.jpg

2ltk29v.jpg

ibkks4.jpg

2zq644j.jpg

Got the 35s mounted today, yay! Still got some work ahead of me to get to SMORR though
2d2dm5v.jpg

2rnzkgp.jpg

It looks way better full size picture, but damn that thing sits high with your driving style its going to be do sky wheelies at smorr:D.

Thanks guys, with that major hurdle out of the way I feel a lot more optimistic about having her ready for SMORR. Its pretty much all minor(ish) stuff now, other than getting some shock brackets welded on.

Yeah, its pretty tall. I have to use the steering wheel and jump a little to get my big ass behind the wheel. Its super wide too, the tires come out as far as the mirrors do. I think down the road someday I am gonna go to 17" wheels with more backspace and see if I can pull them in a little. I can't go with anymore BS on 15s, these barely clear the steering up front. But thats probably way down the road. Also, I need to get a taller jack and stands now, lol. I had to improvise to get it high enough to put the new shoes on her. FYI, an old X hub works great as a little spacer for a floor jack, the little cup thingy on the jack fits right into it.

Also, eventually I am going to have to do some sawzall body work. Sometime down the road I am gonna get softer springs and maybe 63" chevy leafs for the rear. Right now though they are waaay stiff and it doesn't flex much at all, at least with a jack in a driveway.

Well, I FINALLY got the Beast home. It made it 120 miles, stopping every 15 to let it cool (thermostat, waterpump, maybe radiator). Then 20 miles from home the front left wheel bearing let go in spectacular fasion. Major noise, pulling to the left badly, and my chase vehicle said it was smoking and the wheel was wobbling. So $120 for a tow the 20 miles to the tire shop I work at. Get it fixed up this week, and it'll be good to go.

Did you just call me your "chase vehicle"???? I will remember that mister!!!

Well, it was a slow day at work yesterday, so i put it on the rack and fixed the wheel bearing on the drivers side. The other side will need work asap though I'm sure, the drivers side was completely dry. Passenger side most likely is too. Ordered a new Griffin aluminum racing radiator to replace the clogged up leaky pos thats in it now. Hopefully that will solve my cooling problems. It should be here the 24th or 25th. So if its slow at work I can do that, and maybe throw it on the lift and do the bearings on the pass side as well.

After that it will be driveable, although I still can't figure out why the battery won't charge, and what is draining it while the ignition if off. I have the alternator charge light wire connected to a switched 12 volt source, so it should be ok. WTF?

Ok, got my old leaky pos radiator out and the new Griffin aluminum one ready to install. I need some mounts for it, since it doesn't bolt up like a stock one would. I'm thinking of bending up some brackets for shelving or something, or ordering some universal ones from Summit. If I do that they come with rubber pads to isolate it from vibration and stuff.

Anyways, here's a couple pics of it. I think a fan shroud will help the cooling a lot too. Although the electric pusher fan for it is pretty powerful, almost hard to hold when its going.

2ivnr6.jpg

13ygjkw.jpg

Here's another thing that needs to be remedied. The hoses are all pieced together out of multiple sections to get the right angles and lengths, I am wondering if there are any that would work, or universal flexible ones
4t9d89.jpg

Finally got the radiator installed today. Have to wait til tomorrow to see how it works though. I don't have any coolant on hand. :rolleyes: Anyways here's some pics of the install and the red powder coated flexible hoses I used.

16gwsjm.jpg

This one was a real PITA to get hooked up, its hard to tell from the pics, but the angles of the inlet/outlet are a little wacky, resulting in an interesting bit of bending here, especially since the water pump belt is right there.
20s64b6.jpg

211v68w.jpg

Look what the UPS man had for me today. :D

4kfvpt.jpg

4.88 Yukons and a Moser spool. Gonna try and get that bad boy in this weekend, then start saving for the front gears and locker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I first saw this in my email and was like Jason knows how to install gears thats awesome, then look at the picture and its a 3rd memeber for the 9in, thats just cheating. That truck is going to be a screamer with those gears and the c6.

Back