Embarrassed by Spark Plug Condition. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Embarrassed by Spark Plug Condition.

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
I have had plugs and wires sitting on a shelf for 6 months, since I bought this X.............. It started running a little rough so I did them yesterday. The old plugs had a nice tan color but the gap was worn way open! They are just worn-out and likely the stock motorcraft plugs and wires with 135,000 miles on the clock.

Here's a representative though some of the plugs center electrode was worn down to the level of the insulator:
plug.jpg

Anyway, it's done now and I noticed a little better performance. It idles better and no longer stumbles coming off idle. I should see a little better mileage.

She got new hoses, flush and water pump last month.

Next I am going to drop the tranny pan, clean the solenoids, add a drain plug, and refill it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had more issue with old plastic plug wire retainers breaking. I guess I got lucky, they all came out easy.

The new ones went in with anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the other end.

I am amazed at 135,000 mile plugzzzzzzz. Damn good ignition system!

Well done, good for another 50k miles. I just bought a 92 Lincoln with 52k miles on it, with original plug wires. I'm betting the plugs are original too, but I only bought plug wires so far. It has a leaking radiator, so Rock Auto was the place to get that and all hoses, a belt, and T-stat. People are proud of the original parts, I'd rather have newer than 25 years.

Don,
Ya newer like my 17 year old, ha,
Soon I will be able to spank most SUV's with my old X and have seen your old projects. Fun stuff.

Back