• Register Today It's free!

Emmision control

risitodeplata

Reaction score
City, State
Managua, Nicaragua
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie
We have our 2002 eddie 6 cylander here in Managua Nicaragua. Thr gas prices and milleage are killing us. 11.5 to 12.3/ Gas prices about$2.80 a gallon. Usually use Texaco 87 octane. We had the smog test doen and we are many times under allowable. The tested stated that most imported vehicles from the U.S. can remove most of the emmision controls and still pass without a problem. That is newer vehicles. The smog testing here is really to catch the old vehicles that really pollute. Does anyone have any suggestions for us and where to start. We know taking off the catalytic converter is a start and we still pass easily. We did this on a 93 but the milleage on that vehicle is higher already.

Thanks

welcome to the site, actually removing the smog equipment on newer vehicles that are not heavily modified purpose built race cars will not help mileage or economy.. the newer vehicles use their computers and compensate for situations, if you decide to remove your cat, the computer will throw a check engine light, and go into limp mode, basically running like crap to make up for itself missing part of what it needs to make it run properly..... you said you dotn care if it pollutes, well we only have one planet, but hey besides, newer computer controlled cars dont like being screwed with.... if mileage is a concern get a honda civic, seriously...... my sisters civic gets liek 30 mpg.....

11 to 12 miles a gallon. There has got to be something besides the acetone to try.
No about the pollution. I never said I don't care if it pollutes. I am meeting local standards. If we look at it another way. Since California has the toughests standards then everyone in the nation should make their cars meet california standards which are much tougher than many states. But they don't. and I know many people that leave california will modify their cars to increase the milleage and still pass the local test if needed.
But if anyone can suggest anything to help I would really appreciate it.

thats about all i get from mine, maybe 21 mpg on hywy drivin 55 steady

Back